Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default CB issues - Can transmit but not receive

Can anyone help with this?
    I'm able to transmit but am not receiving anything. The panel shows that I'm sending and that's it.

The squelch is at lowest setting. What am I doing wrong?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Are you using a wired headset or bluetooth? If you are using a wired headset I would first suspect that the cord might be bad. If you know someone with a working one, try using the there's first to see if the problem goes away.

Phil

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanT View Post
    I'm able to transmit but am not receiving anything. The panel shows that I'm sending and that's it.

Does it show Rx when the other person is transmitting? If not check your antenna. Does the other person receive your signal?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It does not show RX when the other person transmits.

the other person hears me just fine.

im using the brp wired head set.

can these antennas be tuned?

Spyder Garage

It does not show RX when the other person transmits.

the other person hears me just fine.

im using the brp wired head set.

can these antennas be tuned?
    How old is your CB unit? Sounds like it could be defective. The stock antenna cannot be tuned, but that has no effect on receiving anyway. For what it might be worth to you here are links to my threads discussing various CB problems.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=radio+antenna

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The bike is a 2015. I ended up making an appointment and left it with a dealer to look at. I'm hoping it is a warrenty item and I'm taking a 5 day trip with it next week, I'd like to have it fixed for the trip.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Transmit and Receive

Ummmm.... are you sure the other person is actually transmitting? Do you have another CB handy that can confirm their transmit?

All the best .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Default No Volume

Check your volume. It happened to me and I had unknowingly turned the volume down. Sure made me feel foolish but I now know.

Spyder Garage

If your squelch is all the way down, do you hear static/white noise.
    If not and your volume is up then your receiver in the CB is probably defective.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdDeRosia View Post
    Check your volume. It happened to me and I had unknowingly turned the volume down. Sure made me feel foolish but I now know.
    He still should see the Rx on the screen even with volume all the way down.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

The bike is a 2015. I ended up making an appointment and left it with a dealer to look at. I'm hoping it is a warrenty item and I'm taking a 5 day trip with it next week, I'd like to have it fixed for the trip.
    Accessory warranty, genuine BRP item, is one year parts and labor when installed by the dealer. One year parts only if installed by someone other than the selling dealer. Don't count on it being fixed by next week. The dealers can't repair the CB and they normally don't stock them so they won't have one to replace it with.

See here: http://store.spyder.brp.com/Warranty/
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 08-08-2016 at 11:47 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The dealer confirmed it is a defective CB and a replace under warrenty has been order.

i find it hard to believe the antenna is matched that closely that they do not require adjustment. That's great but I wish I could check it with a meter.

Spyder Garage

The dealer confirmed it is a defective CB and a replace under warrenty has been order.

i find it hard to believe the antenna is matched that closely that they do not require adjustment. That's great but I wish I could check it with a meter.
    It isn't, but the entire system of bike and antenna is far, far, from ideal. The factory setup has a SWR around or over 3. There isn't enough metal on the Spyder to get it any lower. I kind of think the radio is designed to tolerate a high SWR even though that goes against all the design principles of a CB setup. IMO, the high SWR is why the Spyder CB has such a reportedly poor transmission range.

If you want to get the best out of the Spyder CB I think you'll have to go the route I did and install a no ground plane antenna. But that presents its own issues. I can't say for absolute certainty but it seems I have about as good a range as my Goldwing fellow riders do.

If you haven't read them yet, I discuss the NGP antenna installation in one of the threads I link to above.

2014 Copper RTS