Spyder Garage

Default 08 Spyder problems

Just bought it and showing DPS and brake failure. Brakes was very spongy, so bleed brakes. Had a lot of air in front left side. Adjusted parking brake and got good pedal, but still showing brake failure. Steering hard to turn. Power steering unit shows to be replace 2011. So hoping maybe computer needs reflashing. If not will have to change out power steering unit. Any words of wisdom appreciated. Bike has a little over 9500 miles on it.
    thanks, David

Spyder Garage

Be sure to max out brake fluid level. Just a hair low will set off the error code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lawson001 View Post
    Be sure to max out brake fluid level. Just a hair low will set off the error code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    completely full. I was hoping with the flush and resv topped it would reset.
    thanks, David

Spyder Garage

There was a recall on some 2008 GS bikes too
    Current: 2016 F3T Pure Magnesium
    Past: 2009 GS Phantom decked out in Transformers Decepticon badging, HMF Exhaust, HMF EFI Controller, K&N air filter, LED lighting

Spyder Garage

You may need to do a break flush through BUDS to clear the error. Also you may need another Power steering Unit replacement. A dealer can check what's been done through the Vin number of your bike.

Spyder Garage

The brake error will happen when the fluid is even slightly low because of the sensors inside the reservoir. Once the error code has been activated you have to hook it to Buds to clear the error. My Spyder has an active error code for the same thing right now because I let it get low. I topped up the fluid and the brakes work fine except for the scrolling error message. Time for some brake system maintenance.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice. The power steering unit may have to be changed. The guy I bought it from let it set up. The steering unit has been changed once in 2011. Hoping up date software will fix it. I got a real good deal on the spyder, so I have the extra money for the steering unit replacement if needed.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

Does sound like you need to check all the connections, Battery, ground straps, fuses and relay seated properly etc. I remember some issues with magnets coming loose on the starter motors but rare. On the DPS, there were some that had the unit replace more than once so check with the dealer to see if the unit they replaced in 2011 was the newer corrected one.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If you pulled the codes it may lead to a more specific cause and a more accurate answers to your Spyders problems.

With ignition switch on (or engine running) press MODE button repeatedly until "engine hours" (total hours) shows on display.
    Press and hold MODE button while pushing the "flash high beams" button five times within 2 seconds.
    If there are no active faults "No Active Fault Code" will be displayed.
    If there is an active fault, an alphanumeric code will be displayed.
    If there is more than one active code, you may press MODE to cycle through them.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DISCOUNT PARTS

Good prices on OEM parts ---- PROCALIBER.COM --- you need to register ( for free ) to get the discounted prices to show .....and free shipping over $99.00 ............good luck.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default 50K

once your situation is corrected, you should have no less than 50,000 care-free miles without any brake issues....
    my '09 RS wasn't even close to needing brakes when i sold her with 50K...
    best of luck, and ride safely....
    SPYD3R
    SoCar

Spyder Garage

Got several codes on it. PO551, PO552 both for DPS unit.C1282- low brake pressure or leak. Also PO113 and PO107. something about manifold high and low voltage. They said they had jumped the bike off. Will see how it goes. Carrying it to the shop Tuesday morning. Will keep you up dated on what they found.

David

Spyder Garage

P0551 and P0552 refer to the torque sensor. That is internal to the DPS unit. Since no one so far does a rebuild of the DPS units it is time for a new one.

C1282 is the brake failure code from before you bled the brakes. There is a way to reset in your driveway I believe. Just don't remember at the moment. Do a search on Spyderlovers and it should come up. It certainly has nothing to do with how much fluid is in the reservoir. Since it's going to the dealer it can be reset with BUDS.

P0113 and P0107 one is MAP sensor voltage too high and the other is voltage too low. Service actions for both reference a wiring problem. The codes don't point to cracked MAP hoses but since someone is going to be working in that area anyway. Change out both hoses for new ones.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    P0551 and P0552 refer to the torque sensor. That is internal to the DPS unit. Since no one so far does a rebuild of the DPS units it is time for a new one.

C1282 is the brake failure code from before you bled the brakes. There is a way to reset in your driveway I believe. Just don't remember at the moment. Do a search on Spyderlovers and it should come up. It certainly has nothing to do with how much fluid is in the reservoir. Since it's going to the dealer it can be reset with BUDS.

P0113 and P0107 one is MAP sensor voltage too high and the other is voltage too low. Service actions for both reference a wiring problem. The codes don't point to cracked MAP hoses but since someone is going to be working in that area anyway. Change out both hoses for new ones.
    Found how to reset the brake failure
    1 turn Ignition switch off
    2 wait 30 seconds
    3 turn Ignition switch on
    4 firmly press brake pedal untill you hear a click from the LPS switch
    Note , the 1st click will come from the brake light switch. Continue to strongly press to hear a 2nd click. This one wiil come from the low pressure switch
    5 Turn Ignition switch off posted by cstall.
    worked like a dream. Now only have the DPS showing. I'll let the dealer check that one. Again thanks for the great info and support here.
    David