Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer for rt

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Just Paige View Post
    Hi all, I'm new so forgive me for hijacking this thread to ask a trailer question. I have a 2012 RT and am wondering how many of you with trailers use them frequently or only a few times a year? Is it worth purchasing one or can they be rented?
    Thanks!
    I only use ours maybe two or three times a year. Went with the harbor freight trailer.
    2015 Special Edition , Red and black

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use mine once or twice/year. If I'm going overnight with my wife I need. Will also need it when I go cross country after I retire in 4 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm a contrarian sometimes. Here's my approach to owning & using a trailer!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ight=versatile

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ight=versatile

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I use mine only when I travel with my wife. I want her to be comfortable so she doesn't have to pack light. I split the difference and bought a blemish version of the following on eBay for $1200. Decent looking but not crazy expensive.

http://theusatrailerstore.com/blackh...cycle-trailer/
    Lucky

2015 RTS SE6
    2008 Harley Ultra
    1999 BMW R1200C
    1986 Harley Electraglide

Spyder Garage

Can you share the various components that you used to build your trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by CMA/IBA_rider View Post
    Any motorcycle trailer will work. Or custom motorcycle trailer. I pull one that I made
    Johnny
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015 RT-S (SE6) Special Series

Spyder Garage

Currently on sale for $379.99, spend another $100.00 or so changing out the lights to LED, some paint if you wish, etc. and you have a good cargo trailer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-...ler-62644.html

20150825_113501 - Copy.jpg
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

ok got my hitch installed. bought a harbor freight trailer. installed a show chrome harness. my question is. i have 5 wires from the harness and have a 4 flat plug coming from trailer. so how do i connected them. i bought a four female but i dont have anywhere to plug in the brake lights. i was trying to see if i could get a 5 pole to 4 flat but i dont think taht would work either. so i know i can add addition light for brakes but was wondering if anyone hooked theirs up with everything working. i would appreciate any info
    Lois

2015 Pearl White RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lois35 View Post
    ok got my hitch installed. bought a harbor freight trailer. installed a show chrome harness. my question is. i have 5 wires from the harness and have a 4 flat plug coming from trailer. so how do i connected them. i bought a four female but i dont have anywhere to plug in the brake lights. i was trying to see if i could get a 5 pole to 4 flat but i dont think taht would work either. so i know i can add addition light for brakes but was wondering if anyone hooked theirs up with everything working. i would appreciate any info
    Lois
    You CANNOT just simply plug the 4 wire trailer harness into the 5 pole connector with any kind of adapter plug. You will need to get a 5 wire to 4 wire converter module and connect it to the output of the isolator in the harness you got from Show Chrome. They're available in many places such as auto parts stores or trailer supply stores. Connect a 4 wire flat plug to the output wires and you're all set.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You CANNOT just simply plug the 4 wire trailer harness into the 5 pole connector with any kind of adapter plug. You will need to get a 5 wire to 4 wire converter module and connect it to the output of the isolator in the harness you got from Show Chrome. They're available in many places such as auto parts stores or trailer supply stores. Connect a 4 wire flat plug to the output wires and you're all set.

I think this is what you're looking for...
    https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-.../56146KIT.html
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

i want to thank everyone for their help. went and got a converter module. installed it tonight and it works like a charm!! appreciate the help.

2015 Pearl White RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Thanks for letting us know!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default my camper works

Quote Originally Posted by sjn7708 View Post
    Can you use a trailer other than the Can-Am trailer on an RT 2015. I heard that using a trailer other than a Can-Am trailer interferes with the electronics somehow. I have been unable to find a used Can-Am trailer
    I heard the same thing my bike was wired by the dealer I had to by the front wire harness from a freedom trailer to get the proper plug I then cut the harness to length and installed a plug to match my mini-mate camper so far so good

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayD View Post
    Don't use BRP wiring harness. Go to show chrome and get one. It goes straight to battery and bypasses the spyder electronics.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    +1 Amen!
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    +1 Amen!
    I installed the show chrome trailer harness...works grt....its a parallel relay systems make sure u leave the fuse in a access area. ..i put mine under set

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by amelectricdavid View Post
    I installed the show chrome trailer harness...works grt....its a parallel relay systems make sure u leave the fuse in a access area. ..i put mine under set

Its also 5 wire flat...u can bye a 4wire converter plug