Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer for rt

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer for rt

Can you use a trailer other than the Can-Am trailer on an RT 2015. I heard that using a trailer other than a Can-Am trailer interferes with the electronics somehow. I have been unable to find a used Can-Am trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can use any kind of trailer as long as it's not too heavy. The BRP hitch ball is 1 7//8 inch. if the electrical connector is different from BRP's (4-wire square) you'll need to find or make an adaptor. That's what I've done.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know bushtech sells a trailer but you can use many other types out there..Just make sure it gets wired correctly

Spyder Garage

Any motorcycle trailer will work. Or custom motorcycle trailer. I pull one that I made20150425_200417.jpg

Spyder Garage

Don't use BRP wiring harness. Go to show chrome and get one. It goes straight to battery and bypasses the spyder electronics.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayD View Post
    Don't use BRP wiring harness. Go to show chrome and get one. It goes straight to battery and bypasses the spyder electronics.

Thats what I was missing right there. Bypass the electronics .thanx

Spyder Garage

I'm glad you don't have to make my mistake.

2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayD View Post

I don't know how the SC harness connects, but the BRP Y harness does the same thing. There is a wire coming to the bike side of the rear wiring connector that has a lead directly from the fuse box. That pin is used to provide power to the trailer lights.

You can get an idea of what you can do from my installation. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...trailer+wiring

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sjn7708 View Post
    Thats what I was missing right there. Bypass the electronics .thanx
    You can't 100% bypass the electronics. You have to connect a trailer wiring isolator to the bike light circuits. Those draw very little current. What you don't want to do, as has been said, is connect the trailer lights directly to the bike light circuit. See the link to my installation in the message above.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer

I have a Mini Trailer USA (SL sponsor) a bought a taillight converter from an auto parts store. Works great.
    IMG_1666.jpg
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Spyder Garage

As has been stated in other trailer wiring threads, add another ground wire on the trailer side, to the trailer's frame.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

The harness hooks straight to the battery. Fuse inline. Plug and play with the spyder taillights.

2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

The module on the BRP wiring harness fried when I hooked my non BRP trailer. That is why I went to the aftermarket harness. No problems since.

2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Ok. Any specific trailer suggestions or things I should look for when purchasing a trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Escapade is a really nice trailer. I used that for years..Also have a Can am RT 622 works well too..

So many to choose from..

Type in motorcycle trailer for a search..Many out there and for all budgets..

Spyder Garage

I found no sense in spending big $$$ for a trailer. Mine was $1500 can do the same job as the more expensive ones.

2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

to be honest you can get a good used for less money than new and still have that fresh new car smell

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bushtec makes nice little trailers. So do Aluma and Mini Trailers USA. Any motorcycle trailer will work as long as:
    Tongue weight <= 40 lbs.
    Total loaded weight <= 400 lbs.

Big Bike Parts makes a 5-pin harness adapter (turn signals and brakes on separate circuits) but it comes without a connector. You can buy a connector at any auto-parts store.
    BRP's adapter has a 4-pin adapter and comes with a square connector. You can buy adapters to go to a flat connector, and you can buy 4-pin to 5-pin adapters if your trailer needs 5-pins.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Any suggestions on cubic foot sizes or features?

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer:

I did use the BRP harness but bought my trailer from Harbor Freight. I spent $385 for the trailer and it works and looks fine. It took a friend and I about 2 hours to put the trailer together. I did have the dealer install the hitch and harness.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sjn7708 View Post
    Any suggestions on cubic foot sizes or features?
    Features - It should be able to hold stuff. Beyond that:
    • LED lighting - not a requirement, but draws substantially less current than incandescent lights.
    • A good seal - If you're buying use, run a hose over the top and make sure it's not letting in water. Also, does the rubber seal look like you could change it out?
    • Torsion suspension - also not a firm requirement, but will allow the trailer to sit lower than a solid axle under the trailer.
    • Convenience - can you reach inside all the areas of the trailer? You don't want things to be able to roll to places you can reach.
    • Cooler tray? Nice to have.
    • Cubic feet - not a good measurement since the shape is as important as the size. Bring your empty suitcases and cooler, see if they fit comfortably.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer

I would add;

Look at where the trailer body is relative to the axle. I bought a nice, dual door trailer. I have difficulty getting my load balanced to keep the hitch weight under 40 pounds. The trailer capacity is mathematically fine. Getting enough of the load behind the axle is a challenge. I have to use spring loaded curtain rods to keep the load at the wheels and back. This leaves over half the trailer empty. With about 10 pounds in the tounge mounted cooler, I'm still at 35 ponds of tounge weight. My perfect world would be a trailer that had zero tounge weight empty.
    Lucky

2015 RTS SE6
    2008 Harley Ultra
    1999 BMW R1200C
    1986 Harley Electraglide

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    I would add;

My perfect world would be a trailer that had zero tongue weight empty.
    I paid attention to the tongue weight on my trailer to tow the bike, but didn't think much of it on the RT trailer. Thanks for pointing that out, you are right, a zero weight empty would give you more options. I just bought a Mission trailer, 3x4, lots of room, now I need to pay attention to the weight distr. The wheels are more back.

From the wizards, other than going against the recommendations, what are your risk and how absolute are they? I haven't towed many trailer miles, so I'm open for knowledge.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi all, I'm new so forgive me for hijacking this thread to ask a trailer question. I have a 2012 RT and am wondering how many of you with trailers use them frequently or only a few times a year? Is it worth purchasing one or can they be rented?
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

If you go on overnight trips you would use it. I also take mine when I go to Costco. Getting one that is cheaper than the BRP one makes sense to me.