Spyder Garage

Default Rear air shock debugging question(s)

I have a 2015 RT-Ltd with the automatic rear air shock compressor. I keep my setting on the next to the last top bar (firm vs. soft). I used to often hear small amount of air being added or released. In fact it was so often I wondered if something was wrong. Other postings seem to indicate this is normal. For the last several weeks I seldom hear this. If I use the console switch to increase stiffness or decrease stiffness nothing seems to happen. By nothing I mean I don't hear anything or feel the bike raise or lower. I use this so seldom that I don't know if an adjustment should be felt immediately or not. I have no warnings or alerts. If I test the PSI via the under seat air valve it reads about 24 lbs. I have ordered a new relay in case that is the problem (and others suggest having a spare anyway). I'm covered under warranty and will take it to my dealer (about 1.5 hours away) if I can get certain that something is actually wrong.

Can anyone tell me a sure fire way to determine if my air shock compressor/system is actually working and/or if something is really wrong?

Thanks,
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

First, it is unfortunate that BRP used the "soft" and "hard" terms for the ACS (air controlled suspension).

The system uses a height measurement to control the amount of pressure in the airbag.

If your load does not change much and the road is relatively smooth and your system does not have any leaks, the compressor simply does not have to come on because the relative height is maintained.

A sign of a bad compressor is an exhausted air bag (no pressure)
    A sign of a bad or disconnected height sensor is the "MANUAL" reading on the height control.

The system only makes adjustments when the load changes or the setting are changed.

To see if it really is working, while ryding change your setting to the "soft" reading.
    Pull up to your garage wall and note your headlight level at a known distance from the wall.
    Ryde around the block and place the setting on "hard".
    Come back, park in the same spot and see if your headlight level has changed.

The top of your headlight line should be lower when the the system is "hard" versus "soft"
    If your garage wall is block it's easier to see, but a mark on a smooth wall works too.
    Last edited by spyderCodes; 08-03-2016 at 01:43 PM.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can also use the schrader valve under the seat to let some air out, start the bike and put it in gear. It has to be in gear and you on the bike for the pump to start working. if it is working, that is a sure fire way to get it to kick on and pump the bag back up.

Spyder Garage

Default Great suggestions

Great suggestions from both of you, thank you.
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Default Can you clarify ...

Can you clarify or further explain what you mean by "A sign of a bad or disconnected height sensor is the "MANUAL" reading on the height control.". I don't know where to look for height control other than through the display on the dash when I press the shock height control up/down buttons. Are you suggesting "MANUAL" is displayed somewhere? Sorry, I just don't get it.

Rob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    Can you clarify or further explain what you mean by "A sign of a bad or disconnected height sensor is the "MANUAL" reading on the height control.". I don't know where to look for height control other than through the display on the dash when I press the shock height control up/down buttons. Are you suggesting "MANUAL" is displayed somewhere? Sorry, I just don't get it.

Rob
    When my air compressor went out both times, after 10-15 minutes of ryding if you went to change the air ryde setting it would say, "MANUAL" in place of the bars. Hope that helps to clarify....

Spyder Garage

Rob
    The sensor that provides the height information is located by the rear shock..
    Sometimes a bolt falls out and this sensor becomes disconnected from the lower swingarm.

The word MANUAL is displayed in the control area of the speedometer Left side of display (where normally soft to hard is displayed along with the slider control that moves up and down with up arrow & down arrow keys on the left hand control pod.

The word MANUAL is only displayed when a fault of some kind is detected.
    Last edited by spyderCodes; 08-05-2016 at 04:59 PM.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

Default All may be fine, but why so quiet (as compared to what it used to be)

Got it, thank you. No, I'm not having that issue.

After my testing using your and Spyder Code's suggestions, I don't actually think anything is wrong. If I let all of the air out of the air shock manually, the bike lowers. When I start it up I can tell that the height increases and the under seat air valve tests as pressurized. What I don't understand is why I used to hear the compressor and/or release valve and now I no longer hear anything. I don't hear anything any while riding or while testing in my barn. I think I've demonstrated to myself that all is working, but why so quietly.

The other thing I'll add to this discussion is several weeks ago I was riding and making a left turn at a light. I heard and felt a pop in my rear suspension. I looked to see if drove over anything in the intersection, checked out the bike, look for a missing bolt/net, looked at the rear tire, looked at the belt and sprocket, looked up underneath the rear of the bike as best I could, etc. I didn't discover anything and it's not occurred again and nothing seems wrong. Is there any relationship to not hearing the compressor and/or release valve anymore????? I sure don't know.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    When my air compressor went out both times, after 10-15 minutes of ryding if you went to change the air ryde setting it would say, "MANUAL" in place of the bars. Hope that helps to clarify....

Spyder Garage

Got it, thank you. No, I'm not having that issue.

After my testing using your and Spyder Code's suggestions, I don't actually think anything is wrong. If I let all of the air out of the air shock manually, the bike lowers. When I start it up I can tell that the height increases and the under seat air valve tests as pressurized. What I don't understand is why I used to hear the compressor and/or release valve and now I no longer hear anything. I don't hear anything any while riding or while testing in my barn. I think I've demonstrated to myself that all is working, but why so quietly.

The other thing I'll add to this discussion is several weeks ago I was riding and making a left turn at a light. I heard and felt a pop in my rear suspension. I looked to see if drove over anything in the intersection, checked out the bike, look for a missing bolt/net, looked at the rear tire, looked at the belt and sprocket, looked up underneath the rear of the bike as best I could, etc. I didn't discover anything and it's not occurred again and nothing seems wrong. Is there any relationship to not hearing the compressor and/or release valve anymore????? I sure don't know.

Rob
    It could have quieted down after running for a while. They are not very good compressors. The dealer replaced mine under warranty and it lasted about a week then went out again. I am running an aftermarket that is working very well. Be glad yours is one of the good ones it sounds like!

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Doc. Hopefully all is good and stays good. I have to say I like the new quiet nature of the compressor. Now I also have two new relays that I won't need which means I don't have to worry about a relay failure on the road because I'll have an extra one with me!

Ride safe and thank you for your service.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    It could have quieted down after running for a while. They are not very good compressors. The dealer replaced mine under warranty and it lasted about a week then went out again. I am running an aftermarket that is working very well. Be glad yours is one of the good ones it sounds like!