Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat Replacement Suggestions

Hello Spyder Riders:
    Leland (Dark Side) here.
    I ride a 2011 RT SE5 and the seat, original equipment, I might add, is coming apart at the seams. Literally.
    I am looking for suggestions on replacement seats. My wife and I love to ride and we are not slim people. We are looking for a seat that is comfortable and has some good cushion.
    Any suggestions would help with our search. A lot to choose from but I thought I would ask our fellow rides what they have to say and what they think. Please give us your suggestion. It would be greatly appreciated.
    If possible, please include the link to the web site and a brand or something so we can find what we are looking for.

Thanks for all of your help and we are looking forward to hearing what you all suggest.

Thanks
    Leland (Dark Side)
    and have an OUTSTANDING Day

Spyder Garage

I'm a "big guy" - ie: 6'3, 380 - and I had my Kawasaki's seat reworked by Russell Day Long Saddles in CA. You have to ship it off and get it back in the mail. I called yesterday, currently they're scheduling the end of September. Seems like a long time but it was worth it. Serious upgrade in the saddle, he even adds steel springs and adjusts for your weight and build.

I'm trying a local guy this time with the Spyder. I went and talked with him yesterday and have an appointment in 3 weeks for a "fitting". They're called Bitchn Stitchn and seem to have a good reputation on seat rebuilds. I'm having them repad my wife's seat, too, so her delicate hiney is happy.

Spyder Garage

Default Seat

I have the original off of my '13 RT. FOR SALE....I switched it out for the Can Am comfort seat...its just collecting dust now....

Howard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat Spiffing Up

I'm basically happy with my seat, don't get "saddle sore" before 2 or 3 hundred miles. However, prior to going Spyder, I rode a Honda Shadow Aero 750. THe seat wasn't bad, but one winter I sent the seat to "Mean City Cycles" to have them put in some gel(?) and fluff up the stuffing. Really increased the comfort level and wasn't real expensive.

<http://www.meancitycycles.com>

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate seats

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    Hello Spyder Riders:
    Leland (Dark Side) here.
    I ride a 2011 RT SE5 and the seat, original equipment, I might add, is coming apart at the seams. Literally.
    I am looking for suggestions on replacement seats. My wife and I love to ride and we are not slim people. We are looking for a seat that is comfortable and has some good cushion.
    Any suggestions would help with our search. A lot to choose from but I thought I would ask our fellow rides what they have to say and what they think. Please give us your suggestion. It would be greatly appreciated.
    If possible, please include the link to the web site and a brand or something so we can find what we are looking for.

Thanks for all of your help and we are looking forward to hearing what you all suggest.

Thanks
    Leland (Dark Side)
    and have an OUTSTANDING Day
    You have to consider

http://ultimateseats.ca/

Just installed mine today. Great customer service , very comfortable, and awesome looking seats.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Hi Leland,

Re: Any suggestions would help with our search.

One option is to contact MotorcycleDave ( a sponsor on this website ): http://www.motorcycledave.com/

I am very sure that he could rebuild your current seat & make it even better.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

I have the OEM seat off my 2011 RTL. Pay for shipping and it is yours. I replaced it with an Ultimate seat and later traded the 2011 in on a 2014. Not sure of the mileage on the seat but not many and most of them were just a a single rider.

Spyder Garage

If your only problem with the original seat is the covering coming apart, you may want to consider contacting a local trim shop to have the seams restitched or recovered.

Lin
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate

"You have to consider http://ultimateseats.ca/
    Just installed mine today. Great customer service , very comfortable, and awesome looking seats."

Agree... I purchased an Ultimate seat with gas door at last year's Americade. Had mine made without the backrest slot and am VERY happy with the comfort of the seat... and the gas door! Double bonus...? It matched the passenger backrest so well that the backrest didn't need to be replaced!

Good luck with your decision.

Spyder Garage

We have had a Russell Day Long on our previous bike, 2003 GL1800 Goldwing, and now have one on our 2014 RTL, and we love it. Probably one of the best seats made and it's custom built. Never regretted the investment.
    2014 RT Limited , Stock Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have experience with both the Corbin seat and the BRP Comfort seat.

Had Corbins on my 08 and 10. The Corbin is a love/hate affair. It has the gas door for ease in filling the tank. Corbins are "hard" to the feel and it takes about 100 miles to "break in." It will never go soft, but then we can say it is supportive. Over 50,000 miles on Corbin and I was happy.

BRP Comfort seat offers more support than the OEM. It also sets the driver back about two inches. The newer versions have good back support for the driver. We have them on both our 2011 and 2014 RT's. Cost about $600 (about half the price of other aftermarket seats). I can ride all day on the comfort seat where I was ready to get off after 50 miles with the OEM seat.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Belrix View Post
    I'm a "big guy" - ie: 6'3, 380 - and I had my Kawasaki's seat reworked by Russell Day Long Saddles in CA. You have to ship it off and get it back in the mail. I called yesterday, currently they're scheduling the end of September. Seems like a long time but it was worth it. Serious upgrade in the saddle, he even adds steel springs and adjusts for your weight and build.

I'm trying a local guy this time with the Spyder. I went and talked with him yesterday and have an appointment in 3 weeks for a "fitting". They're called Bitchn Stitchn and seem to have a good reputation on seat rebuilds. I'm having them repad my wife's seat, too, so her delicate hiney is happy.
    I've had a RDL for a couple years, great seat , great service. Takes a few mile to break in and it isn't cheap but well worth it