Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Recurring dead battery

My 2011 RT's original battery went dead at 20K miles. The bike had been making "popping" noises prior to the dead battery. Took it to the shop and they replaced the battery with a new one from China. Did some other maintenance at the same time. After 2 weeks, the new battery was dead. All was tested and charged and sent me home. One week later, dead battery again. This time the shop replaced the new battery with another new battery. After 5 days, the newest new battery is dead again. The shop has tested for electrical drain but everything says ok. I am frustrated beyond belief !! Is my shop that incompetent to not find the problem. Is the LEMON law available after 5 years? I have too much invested in this bike to get rid of it, but I am to that point.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Why don't you try a different battery other than one describe as "from China". Maybe even a whole new technology. Try a non-flooded battery like a "odessy". You may pay several times the price of the battery "from China" but it holds a charge like nothing else ...

Spyder Garage

Default SAME THING

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME ON MY 2015 F3-S.....
    BATTERY KEPT DYING... BROUGHT HER IN TO THE SHOP AND WAS CHARGED $140 FOR A NEW BATTERY WHICH IS NOT COVERED...
    RODE OFF.... NEXT COULD DAYS, BATTERY DIES AGAIN.... BROUGHT HER BACK.... THEY REPLACE THE ALTERNATOR.... RODE OFF.... ACTUALLY, WAS RODE OFF TO NOVA SCOTIA FROM SOUTH CAROLINA, AND BATTERY KEPT DYING... MADE IT TO MASSACHUSETTS AND TURNED AROUND AND LIMPED HOME... LUCKILY MY PARTNER HAD ONE OF THE TINY-BATTERY-BOOSTERS.... BROUGHT IT BACK TO THE SHOP.... NEW SERVICE MANAGER - REALLY GOOD KID - CHECKED IT OUT AND INSTALLED A "GROUNDING CABLE" BETWEEN THE ENGINE AND THE FRAME - NOW WHY WASN'T THERE ONE THERE FROM THE FACTORY, AND IF NOT, WHY DID THIS PROBLEM START HAPPENING ONLY AFTER 24,000 MILES AND 16 MONTHS.... I STILL HAVEN'T FIGURED THIS ONE OUT YET....
    WELL, IT'S BEEN 3 WEEKS, AND NO MORE ISSUES.... HOPEFULLY THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED.... HAVE YOUR DEALER CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOUR ALTERNATOR IS GROUNDED AND THE BATTERY IS RECEIVING JUICE FROM IT...
    GOOD LUCK....
    SPYD3R
    SoCar

Spyder Garage

So the first changed out after 5 years. It could have been bad. But a professional shop should have charged and load tested the battery before declaring it good or bad. Did they? So they installed new battery. One from china so you say. The original equipment is from Yuasa and that is what they should have but back in unless you agree to or demanded a different then original battery. It went dead. Remember a dead battery does not mean it is bad. Some testing done. I wonder what they tested for. Another battery installed. Was the replacement battery charged and load tested? It is not uncommon for a new battery to go bad right away. So maybe it was bad. Now the third battery has gone dead. Well you are not going to get 2 new bad batteries in a row and quite likely your original was good too.

Your Spyder needs to be tested and inspected properly. Are all the connections tight and free from corrosion including the main ground points. I think there are 3 ground points on yours. System voltage checks, running and not running. Depending on those results. The 3 magneto legs need to tested to ground to make sure they are not shorted. The voltage regulator/rectifier needs to tested. Etc.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
    Why don't you try a different battery other than one describe as "from China". Maybe even a whole new technology. Try a non-flooded battery like a "odessy". You may pay several times the price of the battery "from China" but it holds a charge like nothing else ...

Hi Blitz

The CanAm service department replaced it with a Yuasa battery which I'm told is factory recommended. I feel the original battery was probably ok and the new ones installed ok also. There must be a power drain coming from somewhere even though they have put it thru every test.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    So the first changed out after 5 years. It could have been bad. But a professional shop should have charged and load tested the battery before declaring it good or bad. Did they? So they installed new battery. One from china so you say. The original equipment is from Yuasa and that is what they should have but back in unless you agree to or demanded a different then original battery. It went dead. Remember a dead battery does not mean it is bad. Some testing done. I wonder what they tested for. Another battery installed. Was the replacement battery charged and load tested? It is not uncommon for a new battery to go bad right away. So maybe it was bad. Now the third battery has gone dead. Well you are not going to get 2 new bad batteries in a row and quite likely your original was good too.

Your Spyder needs to be tested and inspected properly. Are all the connections tight and free from corrosion including the main ground points. I think there are 3 ground points on yours. System voltage checks, running and not running. Depending on those results. The 3 magneto legs need to tested to ground to make sure they are not shorted. The voltage regulator/rectifier needs to tested. Etc.
    Hey Billubovine,,

The Can Am dealer did charge and load tested both new batteries. At the time everything checked out ok. Get it home and within a few days, it's dead again. I have made a list of things to check from these postings and see if they can get to the root of the problem. Thanks,

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cool Old Battery

With all of the electronics on your bike
    I wouldn't plan on a battery lasting more than two years
    The mileage on your bike has nothing to do with battery life.
    I have owned five Gold Wings and never had a battery
    last more than a year and a half on any of them
    your CanAm has more electronics the most others
    they use up a lot of power and shortens your battery life
    if you don't already have one go buy a battery tender and
    plug it in every time you park it in your Garage.

Spyder Garage

I bought a cheapo knock off battery and it lasted all of 5 months. Put a factory activated Yashua (Stock battery) and it's still going fine.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHO IS LOOKING AT YOUR SPYDER ---- WHAT DEALER

This may be problem #1............ Spyders or any other vehicle that uses a battery doesn't just decide to start destroying them .....Their is something wrong in the system, and you need to find someone who is competent. It's way less expensive in the long run .... jmho........Mike

Spyder Garage

Did you ever have the radio module problem? I have a 2011 RT as well, and some time ago, there was a problem with the radio modules killing batteries. After mine was replaced, no more battery troubles except for normal replacement as mentioned by previous posters. Also, I second the idea of a thorough examination of all primary electrical leads w/r to grounding.
    Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    With all of the electronics on your bike I wouldn't plan on a battery lasting more than two years The mileage on your bike has nothing to do with battery life. I have owned five Gold Wings and never had a battery last more than a year and a half on any of them
    your CanAm has more electronics the most others they use up a lot of power and shortens your battery life if you don't already have one go buy a battery tender and plug it in every time you park it in your Garage.
    I would have to respectfully disagree with your conclusions on battery life. I have, and have known others (even GW riders), had batteries go well past two years. And the amount of electronics, unless you are talking about an inordinate amount of farkles, on the Can-Am are not an issue. As long as the system has a charging system big enough to power the electronics and also charge the battery it will not wear the battery out any faster than any other bike. And these systems do put out enough power as designed to cover all those issues.

What will kill batteries are things like improper original set up, failure to ensure that they are being ridden long enough to replenish the starting draw, or letting it set so long that the regular key off draw depletes the charge, etc.

When you first get a battery - follow the manufacturers instructions, especially if you have to add the acid. Even if you get a battery that was pre-charged by a dealer or factory, it is still a good idea to put it on a charger and ensure that it is at 100% before putting it in the bike and hitting the start button.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Looks like its time to pull off the negative cable, put a test light between the cable and the post and start pulling fuses till the light goes out! From there you can at least narrow it down a bit! Hope it gets resolved fast.

Spyder Garage

Default Not bad batteries

Way back in time I had the same problem , going thru batteries . Dealer needs to contact BRP and find how to test the regulator / rectifier .Had mine gone over by a BRP tech in Maggie Valley at a rally and he's the one that found the problem. Replaced mine and have not had problem one since then and mine is never on a battery tender .For some egotistical reason dealers don't think they need BRP help . Some don't but most do need it , especially on a problem like this .Make them start a case file .Willing to bet the problem is rectified quickly if they do .1