Spyder Garage

Question Is it OK to Air up tires from the valve under the seat on an RT-S?

Has any body used the valve on the air shock under the seat of the RT-S models for airing up roadside flats?

Spyder Garage

The volume of air in the shock would have little effect on a tire.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

How ?
    That air valve only connects to the bladder of the air shock. It has no connection to the tires in any way shape or form.
    Also, the air bladder has such a small volume, even if you connected it to the tires, it wouldn't significantly change the air pressure.
    Could you re-pipe it ? Possibly.

Having said that, this being the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, I can make a suggestion.
    If you reverse the polarity of the schrader fitting, and then charge a negative flow through the magneto coils, you might be able to induce a quantum flux that is sustainable past October 21, 2015, and maybe even past Feb 14, 2016.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

I am forced by past experience to make the following disclosure.
    The previous comments were meant in jest only. If any one became upset for any reason, I apologize ahead of time. I meant this comment as a joke to amuse the readers. It was not meant, in anyway to single out any person, or group of persons.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NautiBrit View Post
    The volume of air in the shock would have little effect on a tire.
    I think he means to use the rear shock Schrader valve as the source for air from the shock compressor. It would probably work although I would guess repeated use could burn out the compressor.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If your implying using the on board compressor to pump up your flat...could be if you can find a way to control the flow and if it has the capacity to fill a rear tire...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-03-2024 at 05:39 PM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Because that under seat schraeder valve will only let higher pressure go IN & would actively stop higher pressure coming out, you'd hafta take the valve out of the fitting to let any significant air flow out of it to inflate a tire.... and even if you did removed that valve, the pump would still take at least about 5 mins to pump a front tire up to 18psi - the bigger & higher pumping capacity Viiair 98 replacement compressors take very close to that long when set up as a tire pump (I do have the exact time it took to pump up a front tire somewhere, but regardless, it wasn't quick!!) so it'd take even more time for the smaller/less capable BRP pump to push that much air into a front tire, & somewhat longer again to fill the bigger & higher pressure rear tire.... And remember, unless you do something to dodgy up the wiring so it'd work other than under the standard settings, you'd hafta have the bike not moving, but with the engine running & in gear for the whole time it took to inflate either tire.... That might be sorta OK on an SE, you'd just hafta keep your foot on the brake the whole time for one of them, but it'd be pretty hard on a manual with a clutch & having to hold that in for 10mins or so while you juggled the air line!!

Thinking about it a bit, since you hafta remove the valve from the under seat fitting to get air out of that fitting anyway, & then since the air bag automatically bleeds off excess pressure to atmosphere according to the set height of the system until the engine is running & the Spyder is in gear, then there's a good chance that even if you only wanted to top up the tire pressure in a tire, as soon as you connected a hose between the tire & the under seat valve then the tire would just bleed out all of its existing pressure via the air line/valveless fitting & air bag before you could get the engine started & compressor working, so you'd always be starting from a pretty much dead flat tire - unless you actually had the engine running beforehand with an assistant standing on the brake/holding the clutch in so that the pump could already be running before you removed the valve from the under seat fitting & while you were connecting up the air line to whichever tire..... But don't take long to get it all connected once the valve is out!!

However, if you really wanted to do this, it wouldn't be too hard to install a remote tank/reservoir somewhere handy (LH pannier or in the space where the pre 2013 batteries went maybe??) & plumb that into the air bag system (so that it just appears as 'extra air volume' in the air bag to the on board system) & add a 'non-return' outlet from that which would accept an air line; you could readily make something along those lines work. It'd still be slow if you had to fully inflate a tire, but the extra volume of air from the tank would act as a buffer to ease the load on the compressor, at least initially, & the non-return outlet would mean that you don't hafta remove the valve from the under-seat fitting with all the complications that introduces to the operation!! And while it'd still be a fairly significant load increase on the OE BRP compressor, the bigger the capacity of the remote tank, the less 'extra' work it'd need to do for any one particular tire inflation!!

Sooo, I'd strongly recommend against trying the 'remove the under seat valve' method & as an alternative suggest that the remote reservoir with appropriate plumbing would be a far more viable option. Wouldn't need to be a big tank; a couple of litres of air at around 90 psi (or whatever is in your air bag) would top up either the front or rear tires if you only needed a few extra psi in them!! That way, it could be worthwhile doing!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The ACS doesn't operate if the bike is in park... How are you going to fill a tire if it's moving?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ........ How are you going to fill a tire if it's moving?

Easy peasy!! You just hafta run alongside & be bloody quick getting the chuck onto the tire valve then off again - especially on that back tire!!

Spyder Garage

In the interest of saving time a good Mountain Morph bicycle pump would be a better choice. I carry a nice little 12 volt pump I just plug in.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Easy peasy!! You just hafta run alongside & be bloody quick getting the chuck onto the tire valve then off again - especially on that back tire!!
    If I was capable of that: I'd just run to anyplace that I needed to go!

Which isn't going to happen...

I had started a thread yesterday about this little gadget...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...d-one-of-these
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-02-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The ACS doesn't operate if the bike is in park... How are you going to fill a tire if it's moving?
    Not quite correct....
    The ACS will work if you're are stopped. You do not have to be moving.
    The engine has to be running, parking brake off, and in gear. Then it will work.

But to correct some other answers here. You CAN get the needed pressure out of the Schrader valve under the seat.
    The Airbag spec is 92 PSI which is plenty enough pressure to fill the tires and you can get that out of the Schrader.
    How do I know? Because the FOBO bike sensor can read the bag pressure from the Schrader! So that pressure is available there.
    But the airbag itself is a very small volume of air! So the bag will not put a dent in the volume of air needed for a tire.
    Thus, as mentioned above, you would need to run the compressor by activating the ACS.

Now with that said, I would not use that to fill a tire even if you made the proper hose.
    The compressor is not heavy duty and is not made for long run times.... AND it is expensive to replace!
    Search here how many people have had the compressor go bad on them. Many have.

I would not go near this idea with a 10' pole.......

Bob
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-03-2024 at 05:42 PM. Reason: break... + ;-)
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very very nice conversation, now who's next?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Very very nice conversation, now who's next?
    Ha.... what's so bad about it?
    At least there was no name calling

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks finless, you have answered all my questions.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-03-2024 at 05:40 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Not quite correct....The ACS will work if you're are stopped. You do not have to be moving.
    The engine has to be running, parking brake off, and in gear. Then it will work.
    PBO, and in gear?
    That should make "America's Funniest Home Videos" pretty darn quick!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-03-2024 at 05:41 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Cam-am 2110 Outlander LTD has air ride and also has a factory equipped air hose to air up the tires...So what your asking is not impossible...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Not quite correct....
    The ACS will work if you're are stopped. You do not have to be moving.
    ~~~
    I would not go near this idea with a 10' pole........

Bob

I agree. Why go through all the trouble and money to Rube Goldberg, or potential destroy, an expensive sub system of your Spyder when you can buy one of these for $12.99:

http://www.sears.com/speedway-start-...000P?rrec=true#
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-03-2024 at 05:42 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I considered this when I first bought my RT-S, but figured I'd have less hassle if I just bought a Stop-N-Go repair kit and air compressor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk