Thread: Hard to sell?

Spyder Garage

Question Hard to sell?

I'm not sure if my ad is the issue, but I have what seems to be the nicest Spyder RSS (2011) for sale locally (Manitoba) , still with Manufacturers warranty till next year. It shows well and looks nice, mileage is low, it is posted for book value (although everything around here seems to sell for above book).
    Are these things hard to sell? Is the market saturated? Is there a locale that I should offer to ship to?
    Those who can't, criticize those who do.

2011 Spyder RSS SM5 - Bought new Apr 2015

Spyder Garage

If it's not selling but it is getting enquiries or low-ball offers, then the problem is likely to be the price or more likely, the perceived value (more on that in a moment) of what you are trying to sell at that price; but if you just aren't getting enquiries or any signs of interest, then you are probably either not advertising in the right places, or your advert itself isn't attracting the interest of the right potential buyers!! That could also be why you're getting low-ball offers, those are most likely from people who aren't really aware of the market or really interested in what's on offer, but they figure they'll toss something into the ring anyway, just to see how desperate you are!!

Where & how are you advertising?? Is your advert aimed at attracting serious buyers by presenting the Spyder in the best possible way to sell it rather than how great you think it is, or have you just put up the bare minimum & expect readers to intuitively see the value of buying YOUR offering vs anyone else's??

Spyder Garage

First off I dont see it listed in 4sale wtb?
    I saw you had a clutch problem lil while back..... Same bike? Be honest with the sale but if everything has been fixed Should be no problem

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

Mor than anything..it's where you advertise. You currently have two things working against you...the weather and the release of the new models not yet mentioned in the first release. The weather will change so get out there....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

BANKING WAY TO MUCH ON F3'S

BY THE WAY ARE NOT SELLING NOW. DEALERS HAVE TONS AND A LOT OF PRIVATE SALES.

HOLD TIGHT ASS FOR EVERY SEAT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not having seen your ad... Are you sure that your pricing is competitive within the area that you are trying to sell?
    Perhaps you just need to "cast a bigger net, in order to reel-in the proper fish".
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-02-2016 at 10:14 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Back in July 2016 I was looking for a used Spyder. The prices of the new ones were way out of line for me. Long story short, I ended up with a brand new left over 2015 F3, SE6 that the dealer had to go get 250 miles away. There's a buyer for everything and one will come along for you.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb I wonder about the demand locally....

I've noticed locally the Spyders that I looked at a year ago are still on the market, however, those ones are over-priced. However; I have had not one legit call or email. 3 scammers did email from the usual locations (oil rig, working away from home, etc). I am surprised I find myself wishing I had at least one or two lousy offers to turn down!
    And the clutch issue last July was 100% fixed. It was a oil galley screw had backed out and I believe it was spraying the clutch with oil. It never happened again after the warranty repair.
    I will put it in the Buy and Sell on this site when I have a moment....

Spyder Garage

Price is always the main Culprit here. As in anything here on earth, things depreciate. If your inline with

KBB or NADA somewhere between wholesale and retail it should sell. Too many here pay almost retail for

there Spyders and several years later expect to get only several hundred dollars less when selling. This

ain't realistic folks!

Jack

All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

PM sent.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Price is always the main Culprit here. As in anything here on earth, things depreciate. If your inline with

KBB or NADA somewhere between wholesale and retail it should sell. Too many here pay almost retail for

there Spyders and several years later expect to get only several hundred dollars less when selling. This

ain't realistic folks!

Jack

No truer words spoken here, we can sugar coat it all we want but the sad reality is that we all want our stuff as cheap as possible, 2 years ago when my 09 broke and my wife insisted on another spyder the logic place to look was here,, founs 2011s for 13 to 14.5 k, way out of my league, found an 11 here locally in like new condition with 7k miles f0r $10,250 out the door, it has 13,000 miles now and my wife loves it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    .... As in anything here on earth, things depreciate...
    Except in New Zealand where 'deprecation' is based on condition, age has little to do with it. Even Farkles are taken into account.

So currently there's two 2011 RS's listed on our version of eBay for more than I paid for mine new.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the same experience Yes they are very hard to sell privately except when you really cut your own throat with the price or get extremely lucky. It comes down to how bad, how quickly and how low are you willing to go. I think the problem is, those that are actually looking for a Spyder is a very small %.

Spyder Garage

Post I will keep dropping the price

But in my experience, if price is the issue, the "lowball" offers should still be trickling in. I am currently asking the book value. Not much around here sells for book, I'm in Manitoba, and nowhere are used prices more inflated that here.....

What I'm wondering is if there is somewhere that needs these used machines.......Local market is saturated IMO.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sellers usually think their vehicle is worth more than it really is, buyers think they can always buy a vehicle for less than it's worth. Somewhere in between is your sweet spot, if you are realistic about pricing just wait it out. It could also be timing, up there your riding season is ending soon, so maybe buyers are few to be found. Spring is always a good time to re-list your ad, since folks are thinking about getting out and riding then.
    Last edited by asp125; 08-06-2016 at 09:26 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Can we see the bike or did I miss that post?
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!