Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Drops of anti freeze.

We went out on a nice long ride yesterday for my wife's birthday. Which was fantastic, as we have not got out as much as we would like this year, with ongoing house Renos. The Spyder ran like a charm as usual. This morning after giving it the post ride bath, as I was backing into the garage I noticed a couple of drops of fresh anti freeze on the floor. I did not have time to take all the necessary panels off to check the source of the drops, but took the small side one off and got a bright flashlight in there. What I discovered , although I could not quite see where the hose goes in the bottom of the rad, where I could see had some antifreeze on it.I could not see any coming from the engine side of things. I know I will not get a full picture until I pop some panels off, but just wanted to get some thoughts on this. I know there is many posts on this which I will be looking at tonight, as will as checking the service manual, but just wanted to get some advanced thoughts from anyone who may have had a similar situation. Anti freeze is still at a good level, so hoping it is the factory clamps on the bottom hose at the rad. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Will have to wait for a raining day for a thorough inpection, when time permit.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ANTI-FREEZE

I hope you are right about the clamp ....However it may look that way, but there have been more than a few Reservoir Tank failures in that area ................best of luck .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Did not see the model you have, but they have one...one worm drive hose clamp that has no been known to need some tightening. Only other sources would be the radiator caps not on to the second detent or the water pump seals. Start with the clamp....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. Checked the cap, and tank as well as I could, will have to see when more panels are removed.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have some experience with mystery anti-freeze, and I guess this is a good time to get the correct information out there.

By design, there are THREE worm gear clamps on the V-twin, not just one. Been there from the beginning. Unless you pull the air box for some reason like installing JT's air filter you'll never see the other two. But they are there and do need tightening after a few years. They were the source of my mystery leakage. See picture.

worm gear clamps.jpg

Also, if you pull the facia off from around the headlights - 6 screws - it makes inspecting the tank and cap much easier.

Search the forum and you'll find plenty of posts about the leak indicator hole in the water pump casing. Also in the service manual.

leak indicator hole.jpg

I guess you'll have to click on the pics to get a bigger version. Don't know why they're not showing full size.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 08-18-2016 at 03:46 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the pics, can the two worm clamps be tighten without removing the box? Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    Thanks for the pics, can the two worm clamps be tighten without removing the box? Thanks again.
    I really don't know from my own experience, but back in the day, my old mechanic said it could be done if you had small enough hands. But he usually tightened them when he loosened everything up to do the valve checks and front plugs. Everything under there is just a b***h to get to, which is another advantage of JTs air filter. But now that you know where they are, maybe you can feel around up there and get to them.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Just one last thing - most of the time, the problem ends up being simply that the tank cap was not completely tuned all the way on. Just like any other radiator cap, as you turn it, there's a spot where it get tighter. But you need to go past that spot until it stops turning. Again, if you pull the facia off from around the headlights, you can get a much better grip on the thing and see that it is properly installed.

Doug

Spyder Garage

I previously had a 2012 RTS that would drip a few drops of antifreeze. Turned out to be water pump seals. It was fixed under warranty, but was in the shop for three weeks waiting for parts. Hopefully yours is a minor fix.
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies. Cap was one of the first things checked. Unfortunately not under warranty anymore, so hoping it is not the seals. What I see more on the rad side then motor. Will be a bit before I get it apart, but while update this once I do. I do most of my on maintenance, so as long as it is not the seals, I will be happy. Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LJspydee View Post
    I previously had a 2012 RTS that would drip a few drops of antifreeze. Turned out to be water pump seals. It was fixed under warranty, but was in the shop for three weeks waiting for parts. Hopefully yours is a minor fix.
    I had oil coming out the water pump leak indicator hole instead of antifreeze. It took 2 days to fix. One day of that was waiting for the parts.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Had the same leak on my 2014 rss just make tight on that clamp all good now has 7,000 on it no leak
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Had same problem on my 2012 RT LImited . It also was the worm hose clamp on right side, the easy one to get at. No more problem.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Had the same problem on my 2011 RTLtd. Here's what I was told, and it made sense to me. When hot, everything expands and tightens up, true. No leaks. When cooling down, leaks can occur because everything contracts. Therefore the pressure in the system will push fluid out in the slightest little loose connections. Check tightness of all clamps and you should be good. Five years gone by and never leaked again. Good luck.

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Agree with the above, took the panels off and tighten clamps and all seems well. Thanks all.