Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Portable tire inflater and blown fuse!

Hello,
    I bought a 'Slime' patch kit and portable tire inflater some time ago. https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-M...slime+inflator
    Knock on wood, never needed it until last week. No flat, but low tire pressure after riding in some incredible high heat. Anyways, thought perfect time to break it out and put some air in the tires. I had done the 5 amp fuse change where the cigarette adapter in the trunk is hot even when key turned off. Anyhow, compressor worked for just a few seconds and then boom, blown fuse. Two questions for all the knowledgeable folks out there.
    Any recommendations on a different compressor that won't blow?
    Any recommendations on other changes you can do to prevent the blown fuse?
    Thanks in advance!
    2014 RT-SE6
    Akrapovic Sport Touring 3C Silencer
    High Mount Third Brake Light
    Kuryakyn Black ISO Motorcycle Grips
    LaMonster Spyderdock
    LED’s everywhere!
    Russell Day-Long w/ Backrest
    Seal Floorboards
    Spyderpops Bump Skid
    Spyderpops KOTT Grill (Keep Out The Trash)
    Squared Away Alignment

Riding taught me why dogs stick their heads out the window!

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

go to cycle gear.com and search "mini air compressor" . They have one for $19.99 that works.

The picture doesn't show the cigarette plug for back trunk, but mine came with one plus the other two shown in the picture.
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post
    go to cycle gear.com and search "mini air compressor" . They have one for $19.99 that works.

The picture doesn't show the cigarette plug for back trunk, but mine came with one plus the other two shown in the picture.
    No problem with blown fuse? Thanks for quick reply!
    2014 RT-SE6
    LaMonster Spyderdock
    LED’s everywhere!
    Seal Floorboards
    Spyderpops Bump Skid
    Squared Away Alignment

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by martiniman View Post
    No problem with blown fuse? Thanks for quick reply!

No problem!! It works as expected. It isn't very fast though.
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Spyder Garage

I got a Harley inflator and run it off of the battery tender plug on the bike. It is fused direct to the battery. It seems to work well the few times I have needed it.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    I got a Harley inflator and run it off of the battery tender plug on the bike. It is fused direct to the battery. It seems to work well the few times I have needed it.
    This is what I do also. Most tire inflators draw way more then 5 amps and will blow that fuse. Also the wire run to the back of the Spyder is only 16 gauge and most of the power will be lost in the wiring due to voltage drop. Battery tender makes an adapter that turns the battery tender plug into a cigarette lighter socket, then plug your inflator into that.
    2015 RTL , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that the fuse was simply doing it's job...
    This thread is floating around, and offers a different option:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...d-one-of-these
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-04-2016 at 02:57 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

According to the answered questions on Amazon:
    This pump requires a 15 AMP circuit on your motorcycle. It surges to 15amp when you turn it on, then drops back to 5amp. If you plug it into a 5amp circuit, it will immediately blow the fuse.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup! That sounds just about right...

But before you go trading in that 5 amp fuse for something stronger... DON'T!

Spyder Garage

Default Another possibility

You might also consider using one of the 'new' jump starter power packs. Many of them are incredibly small and pack a tremendous punch! Here's a $40 one that I purchased and it has received high marks from many Amazon users. In case the following link doesn't work, just search on "Rocket Socket JA-PB60A".

https://www.amazon.com/Rocket-Socket...words=JS-PB60A
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Spyder Garage

Any chance of running an air tap off of the onboard air shock compressor (RT) ? That way I would only have to pack a hose. Or is that just asking for trouble?
    Last edited by PapaHotel; 10-22-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    Any chance of running a tap off of the onboard air shock compressor (RT) ? That way I would only have to pack a hose.
    I don't believe that will work and it could mess up more than you want.

when you get here i will show you some options

Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bad idea...

Spyder Garage

Whatever happened to the standalone tire inflater Lamonster used to sell? Found my old order. It was called "Lamonster Approved Air Pack" Charge it at home or hotel and you don't need to worry about fuses. I particularly like how you can dial in the exact pressure needed. I really liked it. No longer available? Something wrong with it? I didn't see it on his site.
    Last edited by martiniman; 09-01-2018 at 09:27 PM.
    2014 RT-SE6
    LaMonster Spyderdock
    LED’s everywhere!
    Seal Floorboards
    Spyderpops Bump Skid
    Squared Away Alignment

Spyder Garage

Whatever happened to the standalone tire inflater Lamonster used to sell? Found my old order. It was called "Lamonster Approved Air Pack" Charge it at home or hotel and you don't need to worry about fuses. I particularly like how you can dial in the exact pressure needed. I really liked it. No longer available? Something wrong with it? I didn't see it on his site.
    He quit selling those, as they had problems.

This is similar to what Lamont sold:
    https://www.amazon.com/Fineed-Hand-H...5VN7JE262GC4QQ

I still have mine from Lamont, and it still works. If the charging part of the inflator quits working, I can then use the inflator cord plugged into a dash mounted powerlet outlet (rated 15 amps). The powerlet outlets I have dash mounted on my 2008GS are connected the way boiler animal describes, with proper size wiring and fuses.
    Last edited by wyliec; 09-01-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Joe from Squared Away recommended this awhile back. http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-mini-compressor.html

I'm going to get one. Sounds like just what you would want to pack for an emergency.

As for putting in a larger fuse, for example, replacing a 5 amp fuse with a 10 or 15 amp fuse to run a small compressor.........DON'T!!!!

A fuse is designed to protect the wire, not the equipment being operated. The ONLY thing a fuse cares about is the amount of amps that is being drawn on its circuit. A 5 amp fuse will open (blow) when more than the allowable current is being carried on its circuit. This is because the wire in that circuit is too small to carry a larger amount of current, also referred to as a load, without overheating and melting the insulation, causing a short circuit and quite possibly a fire.

This will result in ruining more than just your day!

If you want to run a compressor or anything else that requires a larger fuse than you have available, the best thing to do is to run a separate circuit directly to your battery of wire of a large enough gauge to handle the required current. You must include an inline fuse to protect this circuit. The wire gauge is determined by the load and the length of the circuit. Remember, the smaller the gauge number, the bigger the wire is and the more current it can safely carry.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    He quit selling those, as they had problems...
    ...I still have mine from Lamont, and it still works...
    That's a shame. I still use mine, and it seems to be working just fine.

Spyder Garage

I use this compressor, http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...sor-with-light. Yes, it's a Harley product but is very well made, is fused and plugged the same as my Battery Tender Jr battery pigtail, and comes with a flexible valve stem extender for the rear tire. It aslo fits well in the small Hopnel trunk bag in which I carry all my tools and emergency stuff.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I kept a good small bicycle pump in my fronk until recently. I then switched to a "Stop-n-Go" plugging kit with those tiny CO2 canisters. Recently (on another thread) I had a Stop-n-Go vulcanizing kit that was less then worthless and switched to the old fashioned rubber wormy type. Anyway....as far as air is concerned I just keep about 7 of those metal canisters and the stem to use them. They are small, unnoticeable and will fill (as advertised) an MC tire to full pressure. I never liked those electric pumps for the reason you encountered. I have friends who have used those electric pump gizmos and they were near worthless as well. Simple works so simple I keep it. My thoughts.

Amazon ratings shows these electric pumps low in customer satisfaction...…..

Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster Mini Electric Inflator Tire portable air pump

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post

There are lots of good products that qualify for portable tire air pumps but this is one I won't recommend. Lamonster had a nice battery chargeable mini air pump that worked well------Except it won't hold a charge while being stored for over one month. I spoke with Lamonster's tech & he said to charge it before I went out on any long trips. Not exactly what I had in mind when I purchased this mini air pump for close to $50. I'll discount mine $25.00 if anyone is interested in using this application for a tire air pump.Lamonster mini electric inflator.jpg
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exactly what I just stated in my post.
    Those electric pumps are worthless when needed and why I went with those tiny CO2 cartridges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    There are lots of good products that qualify for portable tire air pumps but this is one I won't recommend. Lamonster had a nice battery chargeable mini air pump that worked well------Except it won't hold a charge while being stored for over one month. I spoke with Lamonster's tech & he said to charge it before I went out on any long trips. Not exactly what I had in mind when I purchased this mini air pump for close to $50. I'll discount mine $25.00 if anyone is interested in using this application for a tire air pump.Lamonster mini electric inflator.jpg
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

I'll sell you mine for $25 + $5 shipping. Make that $25 including shipping to lower 48 states. The pump has a really neat feature. When the battery is dead plugging it into 12 v outlet won't make it work until the battery reaches a certain % of charge--which might take 20-30 minutes. How fun--huh :-(
    Darrell
    PS: The other 8-10 items I purchased from Lamonster worked great :-)
    Last edited by Wildrice; 09-02-2018 at 01:38 PM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Joe from Squared Away recommended this awhile back. http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-mini-compressor.html

I'm going to get one. Sounds like just what you would want to pack for an emergency...
    Looks like a pretty good compressor and Aerostich has a good reputation, but, with its chuck, for the rear wheel you'll need a valve stem extender like one of these unless you've installed a different type of stem: https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...stem-extension.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I had a new cigarette lighter connected directly to the battery. It comes out in the frunk and has a switch on it so it's only on if you need it on. This avoids messing with any of the Spyder's delicate electronics and gets around the amp problem for an inflator.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Exactly what I just stated in my post.
    Those electric pumps are worthless when needed and why I went with those tiny CO2 cartridges.
    This sounds like a great idea even though I've never seen or heard of it before. How do you connect the CO2 cartridge to inflate your tire? What's the connection? And how many CO2 cartridges would it take to fill a tire, anyway?
    2017 RTS , Blue