Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I stopped through Bitchin' Stitchin' yesterday to talk about remaking my seat to handle longer distances (my pelvic bones are killing me). By the time we're done, we may be in completely different places and maybe it'll be better.

The driver's backrest is an idea but, as guessed above, the real problem is there's too much of both of us to have something in-between. I'm heading for surgery for that in a couple months so perhaps this will go away over the next year or two.

Jerry, your fabric seems like it's a good option. I have no idea where to get it but if you do, I'd appreciate a pointer. I actually have enough sewing skills (long story) that I could probably make a vest I could wear.

-B

Spyder Garage

3d spacer mesh. Get the thickest you can reasonably find, or get enough to double or triple layer it. You can make a pad to go between the two of you. To check it out, go to WalMart and look at bathmats. They have some for about $15 that come in ivory or aqua, that are topped with spacer mesh. The mats are folded and wrapped in a paper sleeve, not just lying on the shelf. Heck, you might could just fold one of those mats between you, with the mesh facing out on both sides.

My mods: Ed Hardy "Love Kills Slowly" graphics, custom tag frame to match graphics, Kuryakyn floorboards, Street Magic Easy Risers, Mean City Cycles seat mod, BRP Ultra Touring windshield with wind deflectors, Street FX ElectroPod lighting kit, Street FX Tire Technix motion activated wheel lights, extended parking brake lever, SpyderPops super duper foot-saving heat shield (aaahhhhh!!!)

Spyder Garage

Hi Belrix,

Re: I actually have enough sewing skills (long story) that I could probably make a vest I could wear.

Send me your address & I'll send you enough for a 'patch' that you could sew to an existing vest. Depending upon 'enough sewing skills' it might look OK or it might not; if it works, that should be a success.

I hope that it helps,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

You can try this:

http://www.ezcooldown.com/ezcooldown...770&quantity=1

Took a trip mid June....3,000 mile total and we used these. Lasted for about 1 1/2 hours before they needed to be "recharged." This generally corresponded with either a comfort stop or fuel stop. Put the cells in our ice chest and 20 minutes later, they were ready to go.

Keep in mind that I was using them outside of their intended purpose in extreme heat (95+). That is the reason they did not last as long as indicated on the website. But they worked very well. If you decide to purchase, pay close attention to the configuration. I went with the 4 cell 21 degree C option.

Quote Originally Posted by Belrix View Post
    I thought about a cooling vest but if the air isn't getting in their now, the cooling vest will just be more wet.
    Johnny
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015 RT-S (SE6) Special Series

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up for a driver back rest Not sure, but is it possible to have the passenger portion of the seat reworked and moved back a couple if inches. Anything that helps you two to "Ride in Comfort".

Spyder Garage

Default Sweatin' Together

Yeah... She's not interested in her own. At least... no yet.
    12,000 miles ago my wife wasn't either, but once she sat on the front seat......

Got her Spyder and motorcycle license at 70 years old. She puts that helmet on and she loses 20 years in appearance and demeanor.

I agree, get her one as well.

=bob=
    2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Has anyone suggested a driver's back rest ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Get a product called "Cool Shirt". It is a personal air conditioner that circulates ice water through a vest. I have one and love it, you will have to be creative if your riding two up to find a place for the cooler but it very doable. I rode in 100 degree weather earlier this year and kept very comfortable. I wore mine over my dress shirt but if you wear it against the skin you remain more than comfortable, you actually get chilled so I added a timer circuit so the water pumps for 2 minutes and is off for three which is about right.

If you just buy the shirt(s) you can rig up your own cooler by buying a cheap cooler bag and installing a small pond pump to circulate the water. The water tight quick disconnects are available seperatly so you can rig it up to supply one or two shirts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    Get a product called "Cool Shirt".
    If you just buy the shirt(s) you can rig up your own cooler by buying a cheap cooler bag and installing a small pond pump to circulate the water. The water tight quick disconnects are available seperatly so you can rig it up to supply one or two shirts.
    This looks like a good idea until you look at the price. BUT IMO it would be easy to make your own. Take 1/4" drip tubing and sew it into a "shirt/vest", get the quick disconnects, a waterproof "bag" the small fountain pump, (12V) put the bag in the Frunk, timers and other enhancements could be added.

We made a cool vest with pockets, and made the ice pouches with those gel beads. Freeze the pouches and stick them in the pockets. We went 4 hours in 115 temp and they worked fine. With a summer MC jacket over the top.

Even Baker air wings might be enough. I have those too.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice, all.

I want to keep this as simple as possible. Jerry has offered to send me some mesh so I'm going to make that my first attempt. If that doesn't work, then maybe some pouches to freeze and a lightweight linen vest she can wear under her jacket.

12v pumps, quick release valves, etc are all just complicated for something that's supposed to be about fun and freedom.

I don't wear a jacket normally but my wife does so she might hve a greater problem with heat. I'm opt for comfort and just wear a helmet, gloves, & glasses for my safety equipment. The freezy vest will be Plan B, I think.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brerrabbit View Post
    12,000 miles ago my wife wasn't either, but once she sat on the front seat......

Got her Spyder and motorcycle license at 70 years old. She puts that helmet on and she loses 20 years in appearance and demeanor.

I agree, get her one as well.

=bob=
    Good for her!
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I don't wear a jacket normally but my wife does so she might hve a greater problem with heat. I'm opt for comfort and just wear a helmet, gloves, & glasses for my safety equipment. The freezy vest will be Plan B, I think.

You will likely find that if you both wear mesh jackets the problem will go away, at least as long as you are moving. There are a number of threads on here about how a mesh jacket is cooler than a shirt unless you get in stop and go traffic, then you can always unzip or take the jacket off until you get moving again.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Not sure if it was mentioned but somebody makes an air conditioned jacket... Google it.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Hi Mark,

Re: Any thoughts? Any solutions?

Two pieces of Spacer went out in the mail today.

Good luck with it,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Jerry. I'll send you pics of the final result.

Just FYI, an email to Acme mills, a manufacturer, went unanswered.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ron2andia View Post
    Not sure if it was mentioned but somebody makes an air conditioned jacket... Google it.
    Yeah - back to the complication factor. I guess I'm used to two wheels - I'm trying hard to keep this from becoming something massive and, therefore, to me, less fun. I'm used to just "Two wheels and a handlebar". I'm trying to make the change to "Three wheels, a handlebar, and a radio".