Spyder Garage

Default #4 Brake rod on #5 F3 setting ?

Has anyone ever used a shorter brake rod than the one for the pedal setting. I am having a bit of trouble bending my ankle up to the brake pad even on #5 setting because of leg length.

I have a spare #4 brake rod, and thought I might try installing it to see if it drops the pad forward to whete I can more easily access it quickly. I won't even try this if others have already done it and found it doesn't work or drops the pad tooooooo far, making the brake ineffective

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Has anyone ever used a shorter brake rod than the one for the pedal setting. I am having a bit of trouble bending my ankle up to the brake pad even on #5 setting because of leg length.

I have a spare #4 brake rod, and thought I might try installing it to see if it drops the pad forward to whete I can more easily access it quickly. I won't even try this if others have already done it and found it doesn't work or drops the pad tooooooo far, making the brake ineffective

Pete
    I changed my brake/floorboard from a #3 to a #4. You can't put the floorboard in the #5 position and use the #4 brake rod. It just wont work.

Although, it's a 15 minute job. For peace of mind, just try it for yourself and report back.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I changed my brake/floorboard from a #3 to a #4. You can't put the floorboard in the #5 position and use the #4 brake rod. It just wont work.

Although, it's a 15 minute job. For peace of mind, just try it for yourself and report back.
    Thanks Copperman........Na.....I'm not going to waste 15 minutes if it won't work. I assume it lowers the brake pad so far that it won't operate properly? Shame they didn't put a thread adjustment on it like most bikes have.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Besides not actually working if you fit the shorter rod, check out the engine side of the brake pedal assy - there's only a limited quadrant/arc that the pedal can move thru, so if you take up half of that arc by shortening the rod, you won't ever get 'full pedal travel' before the pedal hits the end of it's complete 'arc of movement'!!

But it doesn't look too hard to change that - OK, maybe not the arc itself, but what about the pedal lever pivot point &/or maybe just the original angle of the pedal?? I had the same issue with the brake pedal position on the 'extended test ride' I managed to wrangle - the pedal is just too high/upright for my ankle to bend appropriately to allow my foot to easily &/or quickly move enough to apply the brakes.... But I managed sorta well enough for the test ride, & it did serve to confirm that I REALLY NEEDED to change the pedal position, & after looking at it carefully I reckon I'd figured out a way to mod it to work for me by drilling & slotting the inside plate a little. Effectively, it's just re-locating the pivot point that the pedal lever moves on, extending the forward end of the range of movement allowed, & then bending the actuation rod to shorten it enough that the master cylinder end didn't need any modding too. YMMV, but I reckon it's do-able!

But doesn't it make you wonder a little about the body shape & ankle flexibility of whoever BRP used to work out where the pedals need to sit?? I haven't seen too many people yet who didn't have some troubles getting their foot/ankle bent suitably to operate the F3 brake pedal with ease, & that's pretty much regardless of the U-Fit setting they've chosen?!?

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter......I thought I may have found an easy fix with the #4 in the #5......but nooooooo. I will have to put my enormous brain to work looking at alternatives along the lines you have mentioned........anyway, I'm off for a ride now.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter......I thought I may have found an easy fix with the #4 in the #5......but nooooooo. I will have to put my enormous brain to work looking at alternatives along the lines you have mentioned........anyway, I'm off for a ride now.

Pete
    I purchased this from ebay and it helped a lot with the foot/brake position. I can either push the brakes with my toes or use the original brake pedal. this also lowers the original pedal a bit since you are removing the rubber. I am using it with the stock pegs. I don't have boards

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111868402884...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2015 F3 SE6

Spyder Garage

Pete
    I just shortend the rod 1/2 inch worked Great

Spyder Garage

Pete
    Pete lamont makes a shorter brake rod for number 3 4 and 5 position that lowers the pedal about half way. He has a video on his website. I have it and barely have to lift my toe. Just pivot up a little. Even slamming on brake pedal won't bottom out. I love it.
    Last edited by JP58; 11-21-2018 at 08:40 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Pete lamont makes a shorter brake rod for number 3 4 and 5 position that lowers the pedal about half way. He has a video on his website. I have it and barely have to lift my toe. Just pivot up a little. Even slamming on brake pedal won't bottom out. I love it.
    Hahahaha....thanks JP, but that post was from mid 2016 when I first got the F3. I bought Lamont’s RIP boards which change the angle of the floorboards and the pedal ends up being a perfect height.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I guess I didn't see the date. Some people bring these old post back to life.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Brake rod for F3's

Go to Lamont's Website on the main page, and order you one and it will do exactly what you are wanting it to do! Cost is about $59 with free shipping, but then everything will work like it should for you! I also thought of trying to build one myself, but decided to order one. It works great!!! Now I have a 2018 F3 Limited, if you are wanting one for an RT, you will need to do some additional checking! If you have a F3, get your foot floorboards in the position you will be riding in 3,4,or 5, and call Lamont by using the phone number on the main page of this site, and tell Jacob what position you are in and place your order! You will love the new brake position!

Spyder Garage

You can use the existing rod. There is sufficient space on either end for an additional hole. One hole will lower the pedal about an inch. It work Ed fine on a 17 LTD and a 15 S. The 17 was in no. 5 position. The 15 was in no. 4.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    I guess I didn't see the date. Some people bring these old post back to life.
    I think we have all done that at some time, JP......I know I have. Looks like a couple of posters after you have done the same
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage