Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Semi auto is the best by far for me!! It took my a few days to get used to it. Love the bike does the downshifting on it's on or i have the option to do it myself.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
    We can apply your theory with the human body as well. I developed a nerve (wiring) problem in my back causing a fault in my actuator (foot) making me unable to operate the switch (foot gear lever) on a motorcycle. My ECU (brain) functions normally though. I went in for repairs in May, but I still have foot drop and weakness of my left foot. Helllllllllllllo automatic transmission!
    LOL!! Similar for me, no SE6 = no Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default Semi se6

[QUOTE=akspyderman;1162702]My first (08) was a manual. They did not have semi auto up here until the next year--and I bought one of those for the spouse.

I went with the F3-T SE6, had the same (08) GS manual. I heard the clutch on the new 16 was a harder pull. I did not try it and just went to the Semi auto because of a little carpal tunnel problem that would get aggravated during the biking season. Took some getting used to but after a month of riding am totally comfortable with the semi auto, really like the freedom of no shifting and clutch.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    A manual will sell just fine to someone who wants a manual 😎
    That is absolutely correct. Count the number of semi vs manual choices in this post.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

I had the same dilemma when I bought the F3 for my wife as a surprise Xmas gift. Since she was not with me, I had to totally guess on what she may prefer. I thought I wanted her to just enjoy the ride and not have to worry about up/down shifting. However, since she came of riding a street bike (Yamaha R6) I knew she wouldn't have any issues with working a clutch. Plus, and maybe this was more of a personal preference for myself, but I wanted her have SOME sort of manual intervention with the bike besides just with the throttle. The deciding factor came when the dealer only had two F3s left on the show room floor; the F3 SE6 and the F3 S SM6...having that "S" AND in a fully manual is what put me over the top in my decision... so I went with with the SM6...and she totally loves it...she loves working through the gears. Admittedly, I did have to get the clutch assist "mod" installed because she does not have Popeye-like forearms but aside from that no regrets with getting the manual.

My $.02

Spyder Garage

SM 6 here, although I like the manual transmission, I don't enjoy popping through ALL of those gears.
    I think BRP could have achieved the same goal by simply spreading out 5 gears such that 5th gear gives the same gear reduction as the new 5th gear.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default new ryder

As a new Spyder ryder, and coming from 30 years of 2 wheelers, I found I really liked the semi-auto. It's not that I'm old (47) or have any physical issues (thankfully) But the semi shifts VERY smoothly. And since there is no front brake, I found not having the clutch got me transitioned to the foot brake faster, There was no reason for either hand to reach over the grip.
    This is most likely all psychological, but it in the end, I do love the semi.....

Spyder Garage

I think as we get more experience with the SE transmission we will come to realize that they are both"manual".i.e. you have to physically do something to go up thru the gears on either machine. The SE is not an automatic and your 998 likes it when you down shift yourself,it is easier on the brakes. Its not that you don't have anything to do or are uninvolved with driving the machine other then twisting the throttle. You just don't have to deal with a clutch lever,but you do have to shift it up and you should shift it down.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I got the manual transmission. I had a Burgman 650 that you could switch the transmission to shift either semi- auto or full automatic (twist and go. Cvt tranny) I absolutely hated the semi-auto. Loved the auto mode! If BRP would ever make a true automatic spyder I'd buy one in a minute! Until than I'll stick with the manual.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just starting to window shop now and I was very surprised at how heavy the pull was on the manual.

I live in a very heavily congested urban area and the two finger clutch on my KTM is fine but I would hate the pull on the Spyder.

Going to test the auto as a result. With all the stop and go crawling here I think it's the only play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsqueak View Post
    Just starting to window shop now and I was very surprised at how heavy the pull was on the manual.

I live in a very heavily congested urban area and the two finger clutch on my KTM is fine but I would hate the pull on the Spyder.

Going to test the auto as a result. With all the stop and go crawling here I think it's the only play.

What model are you looking at? The pull on the RT is simple but I have heard that the 15 F3 was very hard to pull but that it was changed in 16.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    What model are you looking at?
    F3, a T most likely.

Spyder Garage

Default neutral

Quote Originally Posted by Lastchance View Post
    I went with manual fewer electronic parts to worry about and I don't ride in town much if I did I might consider semi only complaint it's sometimes hard to find neutral
    I had the same issue, it's been forty years since I rode and I took the bike back to the dealer top have a mechanic check to see if the neutral trouble is normal. He said it felt OK, but that Spyder trannys are "tender" finding neutral. I thought it was just me.

Spyder Garage

To each their own, for me the semi auto

2015 RT Limited Black Matallic
    BAJARon Sway Bar w/Billet Aluminum Heim Joint Link Set
    SPYDERPOPS Bumperskid with LED's
    SPYDERPOPS RT BRT Rear Lighting Kit
    US LED Flag

Spyder Garage

Default Old folks need Semi-Auto.... LOL

Having ridden some on two wheels, and now at age 74 decided this was not a great idea anymore, and having had a manual 996 Spyder years ago, I drifted off to my local dealer. First issue was the rather difficult clutch pull with arthritic hands.... thus, the semi-auto was my decision.

Now with over 100 miles on the new one, wow, great trike, easy to drive, no real concerns with the auto, and a challenge to get the transmission shifting by matching revs and having a totally silent, perfectly smooth shift both up and down.

I once rode with an individual who had won a Moto GP (not what it was called in those days) race in the 1960's and the manually shifted car was driven so smoothly if I closed my eyes it was like a CVT, so flawlessly driven. This is my goal with the semi-auto on the Roadster.

I can see no downside, except the extra tariff.
    Msmoto
    2016 F3 Limited SS, Garmin 595LM, Sena 10S, Belt Idler Pulley, Custom Cherry Bomb Exhaust
    Previous Spyder No. 003008

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlesplatter View Post
    I had the same dilemma when I bought the F3 for my wife as a surprise Xmas gift. Since she was not with me, I had to totally guess on what she may prefer. I thought I wanted her to just enjoy the ride and not have to worry about up/down shifting. However, since she came of riding a street bike (Yamaha R6) I knew she wouldn't have any issues with working a clutch. Plus, and maybe this was more of a personal preference for myself, but I wanted her have SOME sort of manual intervention with the bike besides just with the throttle. The deciding factor came when the dealer only had two F3s left on the show room floor; the F3 SE6 and the F3 S SM6...having that "S" AND in a fully manual is what put me over the top in my decision... so I went with with the SM6...and she totally loves it...she loves working through the gears. Admittedly, I did have to get the clutch assist "mod" installed because she does not have Popeye-like forearms but aside from that no regrets with getting the manual.

My $.02
    the semi-auto is just a paddle shifter, you can downshift with it just like a manual and have full control just like you would with a clutch. The only time I let it downshift for me is in a panic stop.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

SE6 for us and we have zero regrets.

Enjoy!!!
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Spyder Garage

SE6 and no regrets!
    To God Be The Glory!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Bought manual on purpose. Tried a semi-auto, but didn't like it. Guess I just want complete control over the shifting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbles13 View Post
    .....Guess I just want complete control over the shifting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If you're smart enough, you can use those + & - buttons under the left handgrip & get just that!?!

It's only the clutch that's centrifugal!

Spyder Garage

Default Control with "auto"

This morning, happened to find myself behind a new Corvette,,,, the one with four pipes in back, looks sleek.... He lit up the tires for about 50 feet, went on up the road. He actually did not come out of the hole quickly, but with lots of show....

Next intersection, we are now side by side. Light green, I simply twisted the throttle a good bit, smoked the rear for thirty feet, but the Roadster came out of the hole like a rocket.

So, maybe I need to understand that the new motor, semi-auto trans, needs some degree of moderation in regards to throttle position at the start. Interestingly enough, my old Spyder never slipped the rear wheel...

Now I am wondering how quick the new one is if I take it out of ECO mode. But, as to control, I think the semi-auto gives me more control. Maybe the shifts are a bit slower, computer wants things softer than upshifting with no clutch. But, the bike still performs, and I think I like it better than having my left hand on the clutch.

One other advantage... when looking into the sun, I now have a left hand free to block the sun from my eyes.
    Msmoto
    2016 F3 Limited SS, Garmin 595LM, Sena 10S, Belt Idler Pulley, Custom Cherry Bomb Exhaust

Spyder Garage

Default Is anyone here?

Whatever, after about 2000 miles on my semi-auto F3 Ltd SS, I can say that this transmission is IMO by far superior to manual. The shifting is at the level of the PDK Porsche transmission and shifting is as quick as on a race bike, i.e., upshifting with virtually no clutch.

And, for those with some age on us, arthritis which can make pulling a clutch lever very tiring, the semi-auto is really nice. This is especially true at traffic stops when one has to be ready to go when the light turns green, sometimes waiting with clutch released for several seconds.

So, even if no one is listening.....
    Msmoto

Spyder Garage

I wanted to go with the Semi-Auto this time but simply didn't think it was worth almost $3,000 price difference. Plenty of better mods to spend that $3,000 on.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Love our SE-5! I said yes to the auto for my wife.............very glad I did!
    Same here. Our Spyder will be a commuter in heavy traffic, so the SE is pretty awesome for that. If it were for sporty rides and touring, the manual would be our choice.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Semi-auto on my current spyder and my previous '12 RTS. I still usually downshift but occasionally let it downshift "automatically" to be sure it is working properly. Dale