Thread: Dilemma

Spyder Garage

Default Dilemma

Here's the situation:
    My wife and I are going to purchase either a 2016 RT-S or an F3 Limited this fall. We went to a local dealer and sat on both. I was extremely comfortable on the F3 (coming off a Roadglide) and she was comfortable on the RT-S saying that the F3 passenger's seat pushed her forward toward me. I have seen a few custom seats offered for the F3 and none that I have seen so far are level or angled to the rear so as not to make her slide towards me.
    Has anyone experienced this issue and if so, how did you remedy the situation. Keep in mind, "Happy wife, Happy life"! I hope you guys can give some suggestions. I really like the F3 seating position.....

Thanks,

Bill W

Spyder Garage

I believe that the RT series is for two up riding and the F-3 Series is for solo riding

This is a comfort issue.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Have Russell Day Long custom build you a seat.
    Had a RT traded for a F3 at the request of my wife.
    Ride two up about 95% of the time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I believe that the RT series is for two up riding and the F-3 Series is for solo riding

This is a comfort issue.

Cruzr Joe
    though I have no experience with the Russell Day Long seat.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

For the difference in price you could easily have a custom seat made (a couple times if necessary)

Spyder Garage

Wife and I switched to an F3 Limited from the RTS. RDL is the way to go. We will be getting one when the season ends for us. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Wife and I switched to an F3 Limited from the RTS. RDL is the way to go. We will be getting one when the season ends for us. Tom
    Hey Tango -
    I have been following you extensively, since you bought your F3L about the same time I purchased my F3T. You seemed so pleased with the ride, the new F4 Custom windshield, etc. I am wondering now, wherein your displeasure lies, that you are considering trading back to the RTL.

The Spyder experience is totally new to me. My dilemma now is this : Upgrade to a better seat, get an F4 windshield, get a rack and mount a Harley-type TourPak with wrap-around seat, for more luggage capacity and touring comfort for my wife and me - OR ----- put that money toward an RT, for touring pleasure.

I much prefer the F3 ride, but -------

What is your rationale at this point?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 40Xshooter View Post
    Here's the situation:
    My wife and I are going to purchase either a 2016 RT-S or an F3 Limited this fall. We went to a local dealer and sat on both. I was extremely comfortable on the F3 (coming off a Roadglide) and she was comfortable on the RT-S saying that the F3 passenger's seat pushed her forward toward me. I have seen a few custom seats offered for the F3 and none that I have seen so far are level or angled to the rear so as not to make her slide towards me.
    Has anyone experienced this issue and if so, how did you remedy the situation. Keep in mind, "Happy wife, Happy life"! I hope you guys can give some suggestions. I really like the F3 seating position.....

Thanks,

Bill W
    If you have not made a decision yet, please keep in mind your comment on, "Happy Wife, Happy Life". You really need a long test ride on both. The F3L, in my opinion, is perfect for one-up riding. It can be rather scary for your passenger, even with a backrest. Dangerous without!

The RT platform offers so much more support for your passenger, especially on longer rides. Please take your wife for an extended ride on both. Start with the RT and I bet the ride on the F3 will be very short.

If you don't, it could be a costly mistake. That, and she won't ride with you.

My wife and I started out with one RT Limited. She then bought an RT-S for herself. We now both have F3 Limiteds. It's a great one-up bike.

Good luck with your decision.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fritzer1 View Post
    Hey Tango -
    I have been following you extensively, since you bought your F3L about the same time I purchased my F3T. You seemed so pleased with the ride, the new F4 Custom windshield, etc. I am wondering now, wherein your displeasure lies, that you are considering trading back to the RTL.

The Spyder experience is totally new to me. My dilemma now is this : Upgrade to a better seat, get an F4 windshield, get a rack and mount a Harley-type TourPak with wrap-around seat, for more luggage capacity and touring comfort for my wife and me - OR ----- put that money toward an RT, for touring pleasure.

I much prefer the F3 ride, but -------

What is your rationale at this point?

Trading back? Don't know where you got that from! My displeasure? The seat for sure. The RT seat sucked also. Wife and I are switching back and forth with Air Hawk "R" model pads. We have gone riding all day doing that. Butt, I see an RDL in the future. The F4 W/S is the bomb. Wife and I rode all day, even with some heavy rain. No helmet buffeting at all! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Trading back? Don't know where you got that from! My displeasure? The seat for sure. The RT seat sucked also. Wife and I are switching back and forth with Air Hawk "R" model pads. We have gone riding all day doing that. Butt, I see an RDL in the future. The F4 W/S is the bomb. Wife and I rode all day, even with some heavy rain. No helmet buffeting at all! Tom
    Hahaha Fritzer got that from you using RDL as the abbreviation for Russel Day Long, Tango. Unfortunately he appears to have read RDL as RTL (RT Limited) .......as in "RDL is the way to go....we'll be getting one when the season ends"......
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Pete he really had me scratching my head. Thanks. You will love your F3 Limited! Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Hahaha Fritzer got that from you using RDL as the abbreviation for Russel Day Long, Tango. Unfortunately he appears to have read RDL as RTL (RT Limited) .......as in "RDL is the way to go....we'll be getting one when the season ends"......
    Pete
    Pete - you nailed me on that one - Sorry Tango - I did totally misinterpret the RDL for RTL.
    Nevertheless, I am still confused as to which way to go.
    One main gripe for me though, is that BRP did not opt to fit the USA version of the F3T with the 79tooth taller gearing.

Spyder Garage

Pete - you nailed me on that one - Sorry Tango - I did totally misinterpret the RDL for RTL.
    One main gripe for me though, is that BRP did not opt to fit the USA version of the F3T with the 79tooth taller gearing.
    I just completed a 3 week trip of over 5000 miles on my F3. The shorter gearing is a considerable asset, not a hinderance on the freeway. 80 mph puts you squarely in the sweet spot of the 1330 torque curve. You very rarely need to downshift for hills or passing. My F3 also consistently gets better gas milage than my wife's RTS when we are covering the same road and I am the much more aggressive driver.

Don't worry about the gearing, its the right gear for the bike and the extra low end grunt it gives is well worth it. Simply no downside in the US where the top speed limit is 80mph.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

If you go the F3 route I can recommend the Russle all day seat.. It will cost you 600 ish + depending on what you add. They can move you both around, up, back forward, etc. this time of the season I would imaging you are looking at a fall build unless you can ride to them in CA.

Depending on the year and model F3, You may also need to buy a new rear shock. I own a 15 F3s and it's shock poorly designed and unadjustable. It is barely able to hold the weight of the bike and will bottom out a lot Mother BRP has found that this has even led to frame fatigue and issued a recall to strengthen the frame but NOT THE SHOCK. They did come out with a "2 up" shock but will make you pay for it.

most have gone to Elka for a custom rear shock and it will run you 400+ depending on your options

The F3 also has a vibration problem that starts around 63 and stops at around 70ish. It will buzz your hand numb. To date, Mother BRP has not produced a fix but there is word that some are testing their one. Most have added an aftermarket belt tensioner 200-300 bucks... OR you can do,what many of the BRP apologist say, just don't ride where it vibrates. Works nice unless you do a lot of highway riding....

the F3 is the most comfortable spyder in the line up but depending on the model and year, you will have to spend a few dollars to fix it..
    Bullies are sad pathetic People

Spyder Garage

fritzer no harm done. Spending this kind of money makes you think. Test ride them both. Tom