Spyder Garage

Default oil change on my 2012 Limited

So the end of June I took my 2012 Limited to a nearby dealer for the 6000 mile service. I know that it involves more than just changing the oil but after a four and a half hour wait and $380.00 I decided never again.

I took a 4200 mile trip with my siblings, their spouses and two other couples. During the trip I checked the oil at the first gas stop each day and wound up adding oil three different times about 1/4 a quart each time to bring it to the full level with the motor hot.
    All this said I like to change my oil every 5000 or after adding 1 quart of oil which ever comes first; so I bought filters and oil to do it myself.
    I was surprised that it only took me an hour on the floor of my garage to do a complete oil change. That was even following the directions from the owners manual step by step. No short cuts.
    Total cost was around $48. which included an extra quart of full synthetic oil. CARQUEST brand full synthetic oil which meets the specs in the owners manual, except I went with a 5w-30 instead of the impossible to find 5w-40.

If I only had a lift to make it that much easier to do I think I could get it done in under 40 minutes. No more overpriced oil changes at the dealer.
    Don't make prayer your last course of action, make it your first.

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, Car Quest full synthetic 5W30 does NOT meet the requirements for a SE5 998. Your clutch is going to die with that oil in there. Its not even a rated motorcycle oil for wet clutch use AND it meets API SM requirements with your owners manual specifically warns against. You really need to do the change again and get that oil out of there. Yes, its that bad.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 07-29-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have to agree. You need to get that oil out of there as soon as possible.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, get that oil out you will fry the clutch. Get a 10w40 like Amsoil Metric Motorcycle oil or the BRP stuff.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SM - OIL

Do not have a STROKE about this mis-take your clutch is NOT going to FRY..... However you should get something like Rotella T-6 ....or Valvoline 4 stroke 10/40 --- both are FULL SYN and great oils for your 998 motor ......Either Oil is available at Walmart fairly in-expensively ........ Stay calm , but if you do your own maintenance ( I do ) you must be careful about what you use and be sure to document your purchases.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Relax...

It will not happen that fast but do get a better oil. I use the XPS from online which is a kit with all you need and you still save a bunch on labor...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Do not have a STROKE about this mis-take your clutch is NOT going to FRY..... However you should get something like Rotella T-6 ....or Valvoline 4 stroke 10/40 --- both are FULL SYN and great oils for your 998 motor ......Either Oil is available at Walmart fairly in-expensively ........ Stay calm , but if you do your own maintenance ( I do ) you must be careful about what you use and be sure to document your purchases.........Mike

Mike, I have seen a clutch start slipping in less than 500 miles on the wrong oil. Once it starts slipping the clutch plates burn quickly and are GONE. Car motor oil without a JASO rating for wet clutch use has all the wrong friction properties for a clutch. The SE trans with the centrifugal clutch is especially prone. The SM is a bit more forgiving.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WRONG OIL

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Mike, I have seen a clutch start slipping in less than 500 miles on the wrong oil. Once it starts slipping the clutch plates burn quickly and are GONE. Car motor oil without a JASO rating for wet clutch use has all the wrong friction properties for a clutch. The SE trans with the centrifugal clutch is especially prone. The SM is a bit more forgiving.
    JC - I agree His Oil choice was not good and I said so !!!!! .... But He is a NEWBIE and if He has a STROKE and can't ride anymore what good has been done ???? ....( remember I've been SEVERLY CHASTISED for being a FEAR MONGER about DESS !!!!!! )........ Yes the wrong OIL can do what you said ...... but WET clutches have also withstood 20,000 miles on an SM oil ...... He did what He did and that can't be changed .... hopefully He has returned to read the follow-up answers !!!! ......some DON'T ........ Un-fortunately .............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    JC - I agree His Oil choice was not good and I said so !!!!! .... But He is a NEWBIE and if He has a STROKE and can't ride anymore what good has been done ???? ....( remember I've been SEVERLY CHASTISED for being a FEAR MONGER about DESS !!!!!! )........ Yes the wrong OIL can do what you said ...... but WET clutches have also withstood 20,000 miles on an SM oil ...... He did what He did and that can't be changed .... hopefully He has returned to read the follow-up answers !!!! ......some DON'T ........ Un-fortunately .............. Mike

Got it. Guess I misunderstood your intent. I think we pretty much agree. Its so hard to get across intent or emotion with just words and no facial expression or tone. I know I was one of the guys that got on you pretty hard in the past. I have really tried to turn a leaf and read with the good intention that I KNOW you have.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame