Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Speedometer error

Has anyone used the Speedohealer unit to correct an incorrect speedo / odometer error.
    I have a relatively large error, correct at 35 mile, 68 v 60 and odometer reads 170 for a 156 mile trip.
    I wish to use this Speedohealer unit but am reluctant to do so because of the Spyders electrics.
    Has anyone used this unit and what speedo sensor did you use?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenaspr View Post
    Has anyone used the Speedohealer unit to correct an incorrect speedo / odometer error.
    I have a relatively large error, correct at 35 mile, 68 v 60 and odometer reads 170 for a 156 mile trip.
    I wish to use this Speedohealer unit but am reluctant to do so because of the Spyders electrics.
    Never heard of it... Are you sure you wanna risk it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most folks talk about a 4% error. (2 mph at 50...)
    I believe that you're talking about more than a 10% error: go see your dealer first!
    I wouldn't plug anything electronic into the system... I'd just run a 215/60-15 rear tire, if I was concerned about the 2mph at 50, that my bike shows.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Not used one myself but have a mate who fitted one on a Yamaha he imported from the states to switch it from mph to kpm and fix an over read like yours and he was happy with it.

He just checked on the site and it told him what kit he needed to order and it just was just a case of unplugging a connector, plugging the unit inline, and setting some switches based on a chart on the website.

If they do a Spyder kit it should be straight forward as Spyder wiring harness uses standard connectors.

My RS is about right at city speeds but is around 6km high at 100kpm
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 07-28-2016 at 07:50 AM.

Spyder Garage

^^ with Bob, altho I went for a 225/60R15 tire - at the pressures I run for most of my ryding, the speedo is now almost exactly correct

To confirm that accuracy, I've compared the speed reading to a few GPS units (with better than 1m accuracy) & a Police Speed Laser; and it's pretty damn close!! And I've got better ride, handling, & traction with less road noise, far better grip in the wet and the dry (no hydroplaning even when riding into inches of water over the road!) & so far, about 5 times better wear than I got from the OE crap too!! Oh, & it cost me less too, both to buy & to fit! So I reckon I'm onto a winner all round.

Spyder Garage

The error seems extreme to me. How did you confirm the error? Might be a warranty issue.
    My 2011 RSS is 3% checked with GPS.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check with yiyr dealer, then just ignore it and ryde more!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Large errors--I recommend seeing your dealer.

We encounter a 2 mph slow error at 50 mph or so. Not enough for us to be worried over--it gives us a bit of a cushion when riding at +5 of the speed limit.

Yup, as I get older, I get slower. Used to complain about such drivers, but now I think I have joined the ranks.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Without looking into it I would surmise the Speedohealer depends on a specific speed sensor that inputs directly into the speedometer. The Spyder does not have that. The speed is calculated from the wheel sensor signals that are also used for the cruise control and Nanny control. The speed is calculated inside the cluster.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the feedback.
    Speeds checked against GPS, and distance between 2 fuel stops of a known distance apart.
    Nearest dealer to me is 950 miles away and I will not be near any dealer for another 10 months (I live in the centre of Australia, nothing is close).
    HealTech electronics which distribute the Speedohealer products claim to have sold some to Spyder owners but can offer no information.
    Due to the Spyders electrics, I will not purchase this product until further information is received, preferably from some-one who has one installed already.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you been able to verify that the speed readings that you get from the GPS are accurate?

(I'm sorry to ask this: I just figured that it's best to explore all of the possibilities...)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Large errors--I recommend seeing your dealer.

We encounter a 2 mph slow error at 50 mph or so. Not enough for us to be worried over--it gives us a bit of a cushion when riding at +5 of the speed limit.

Yup, as I get older, I get slower. Used to complain about such drivers, but now I think I have joined the ranks.
    As I get older I get faster
    time left is shorter so need to get things done faster so you can finish everything
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Have you been able to verify that the speed readings that you get from the GPS are accurate?

(I'm sorry to ask this: I just figured that it's best to explore all of the possibilities...)
    Yes, I have tried 2 different GPS and with the odometer, a couple of small towns are 252 km apart (156 miles), the tripmeter reads 274km (170 miles).
    I am planning a 8,500km + (5,300 mile) trip early next year down our eastern coastline where the local police are very active on speeding vehicles, I was hoping that this Speedohealer unit would be a good investment to prevent any fines.
    On the highway, it looks like I will just have to set the cruise control (when fitted) for the known error.

PS: I have a 2011 RSS SE5, no warranty for this speedo error.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is a lot of error. Our 2012 RT was off 3mph and with a 215/60/15 tire on the rear it is right on with the gps.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you've used the GPS to check your speedo, why not use it always instead of the Spyders speedo, or am I missing something?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Yes, I have tried 2 different GPS and with the odometer, a couple of small towns are 252 km apart (156 miles), the tripmeter reads 274km (170 miles).
    I am planning a 8,500km + (5,300 mile) trip early next year down our eastern coastline where the local police are very active on speeding vehicles, I was hoping that this Speedohealer unit would be a good investment to prevent any fines.
    On the highway, it looks like I will just have to set the cruise control (when fitted) for the known error.

PS: I have a 2011 RSS SE5, no warranty for this speedo error.
    Though people here are saying that's a big error I think the 'older' RS's like yours and mine did have quite inaccurate speedo's at the higher speeds.

Because of your post I actually checked mine again today against my Garmin 590 and at 100kpm on the Garmin the digital speedo on the Spyder was saying 108 and the analog Speedo was around 105. So even the two speedo's on my RS 2011 didn't match each other:-)

Like you I've also noticed that the km's travelled always reads high - against both the Garmin's x km's to go and also any measurements on google maps etc.

Can-am did change the dashboard on the later RS's (from 2013 I think), I know the fuel meter is much better on the newer ones but I suspect the speedo etc is as well.

I'm now wondering about getting one as well so I've checked on their site and yes they do one for our year and model:-)
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 07-29-2016 at 11:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Though people here are saying that's a big error I think the 'older' RS's like yours and mine did have quite inaccurate speedo's at the higher speeds.

Because of your post I actually checked mine again today against my Garmin 590 and at 100kpm on the Garmin the digital speedo on the Spyder was saying 108 and the analog Speedo was around 105. So even the two speedo's on my RS 2011 didn't match each other:-)

Like you I've also noticed that the km's travelled always reads high - against both the Garmin's x km's to go and also any measurements on google maps etc.

Can-am did change the dashboard on the later RS's (from 2013 I think), I know the fuel meter is much better on the newer ones but I suspect the speedo etc is as well.

I'm now wondering about getting one as well so I've checked on their site and yes they do one for our year and model:-)
    Yes, they do list a kit for our Spyders but are unable to offer any information regarding the pickup point for the speed sensor.
    Without definite instructions, I am reluctant to purchase this kit and hook up to one of the three sensors on our bikes and input a different value on that one sensor. Just asking for trouble with error codes etc in my opinion.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, they do list a kit for our Spyders but are unable to offer any information regarding the pickup point for the speed sensor.
    Without definite instructions, I am reluctant to purchase this kit and hook up to one of the three sensors on our bikes and input a different value on that one sensor. Just asking for trouble with error codes etc in my opinion.
    I'm going to be so bold as to say the guys that make the Speedohealer haven't got the foggiest idea of what they are dealing with relative to the Spyder. That's why there are no installation instructions on their website for the Spyder.

There are three wheel speed sensors, one on each wheel. They are connected to the Vehicle Control Module, the heart of Nanny. The VCM communicates with the cluster via CanBUS. The cluster contains the speedometer. What I don't know is which of the two, the cluster or VCM, calculates the speed from the sensors that gets displayed by the speedometer. But the data from the sensors is used for a whole lot more than just showing how fast the Spyder is moving. That is the critical data for monitoring the wheels for traction control. The Speedohealer would have to intercept and modify the data from all three wheels in exactly the same proportion in order to not confuse Nanny and provide an adjusted data to change the speedometer reading. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts the guys at Speedohealer have no idea what the data stream from the sensors look like and what has to be done to modify them to keep it in the correct format for the VCM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I agree with you IdahoMtnSpyder, I do not believe that they have any idea of the sensors / electrics relating to the Spyder and I am not prepared to take a chance on their kit.
    At least the speedo is reading high, so in my favour, unfortunately I am a bit heavy handed with the throttle on most rides.
    I think the cruise control I am about to purchase shortly will pay for itself on my planned trip.

Thanks to all for all the feedback.

Spyder Garage

Yep I think that's the right decision Stephenaspr. What went through my mind was contacting them for the fitting instructions but as soon as you said they couldn't provide any that put me off as well. IdahoMtnSpyder's explanation makes it very clear how difficult it would be to correct on a Spyder. As mentioned on my mates Yamaha it was quite simple because it was just one sensor and the box went inline, I hadn't realized about the 3 sensors on a Spyder. Correcting only one would really upset nanny.

Perhaps we should just go old school and put a blob of white paint on the speedo at the standard speed limits based on the GPS readings:-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, I too, have this error. However I visited my Psychiatrist. I still have the error, but it doesn't bother me now.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi George!
    Take two water glasses of Whiskey, and call us in the morning...
    It won't solve the problem: you'll just care about it a whole lot less!

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

If you know the difference you can compensate. I find you get different readings from the digital, analog and the GPS...but in the end it is the radar gun the police use that will determine the speed they calculate the fine on.... here your safe if you stick with the traffic flow....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce785 View Post
    If you've used the GPS to check your speedo, why not use it always instead of the Spyders speedo, or am I missing something?
    Did that, and when I changed my tire I didn't have to. Plus you get actual miles on the odometer.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi George!
    Take two water glasses of Whiskey, and call us in the morning...
    It won't solve the problem: you'll just care about it a whole lot less!
    Bob, I never touch whiskey. Everclear is the drink of choice in my group of cycle trash....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.