Spyder Garage

Default Stupid Questions

I have a few questions. We added the auto air bag inflation last week to our 2011 RT and it seems like every time except one when I get to a stop sign or red light the compressor turns on. The bike feels much different. Seems to wiggle around more have the setting at 50%. Another stupid question where is the valve stem on the rear tire. I could not seem to locate it when I looked. And lastly anyone else ever get the orange screen with a warning rear compartment open? This was a new thing tonight.

Spyder Garage

Valve stem on the left side behind the belt sprocket. Yes you will get that screen if your truck is not latched tight. If you see the screen try lifting the trunk lid. I guarantee it will lift. Is your wiggle 2 up or 1? Try lowering the setting to 25%

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    14 RT-S , Stock Large brake pedal White Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NM Wrench View Post
    Valve stem on the left side behind the belt sprocket. Yes you will get that screen if your truck is not latched tight. If you see the screen try lifting the trunk lid. I guarantee it will lift. Is your wiggle 2 up or 1? Try lowering the setting to 25%

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    Wiggle is 1 up. I have not tried 2 up yet.

Spyder Garage

The valve stem for the air bag is on the RHS of the panel revealed when you lift the seat; the rear tire valve stem is on the LHS of the rim underneath the drive belt as NM mentioned. As for it feeling different now, what pressure did you have in the air bag before you added the 'auto' adjust?? Going from whatever you had with the manual pressure setting to a variable & different pressure is going to make your Spyder feel different, just like changing the pressure in your tires or the height of your seat would make the ride feel different!

The compressor coming on every time you stop is not uncommon - it's triggered by changes in pressure in the bag &/or the height of the rear suspension, so if you brake hard & the tail lifts before it then settles back down again as you brake to a stop & the Spyder settles & levels at rest, the height detecting lever will move up & down in response & firstly release air as the tail lifts & increases pressure in the bag & then as it settles & relaxes, reducing the pressure as it does so, the compressor will come on to increase air bag pressure & return it & the suspension height to your 'preferred' setting. It's no real biggie & it's a good audible 'reminder' that your air bag system is there & working; but if it bothers you, either be more gentle & smooth in your braking so that the attitude of the Spyder doesn't change as you come to a stop; or adjust the air pressure in the bag until you find one that doesn't let the bike change attitude whilst braking quite so often - for me, more air/higher pressure generally helps reduce the nose/tail changes & minimises the compressor activation.

And as NM also mentioned, try adjusting the pressure in the air bag until you get the best 'ride' & behaviour for your tastes & the load on the Spyder. Altho if you feel it's 'wiggling' around more at 50%, rather than reducing pressure I'd suggest adding more pressure so that the suspension is a tad firmer, but that also makes it a bit higher too, so depending upon exactly what it is you don't like in the way it 'wiggles', it could make it feel more 'unsettled' due to the (marginal) increase in the CoG. Try it & see, add &/or reduce air pressure in the bag until you get a pressure & height that suits you & your riding preferences! What works for me (or anyone else) may not work for you, simply because your preferences are different to mine (their's)

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The light will also come on if one of your side bags is open.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info I wonder if this is something new they added to my software as they did an update as well. In the 4 years we have owned the bike never seen that before last night. Yes when I opened the side pod to get the cover out it happened but bike was off and in its power down mode. Also thanks for the input on the ACS. I lowered the pressure as we were running 45 psi in the manual. That worked best 1 and 2 up. This morning I lower it to about 25% and it feels better also on my 14 stop sign and light trip only twice due to hard braking did it readjust. Seems like I need to also readjust to the new handling I also need to check the front shock settings as the dealership may have changed those when they replaced the front wheel bearings and shock bushings. But this mornings ride was much better less wiggle and bounce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk