Spyder Garage

Default Can I drill holes in a sabal palm? Gardeners please help.

OK, before anyone starts in on me.....this is a Spyder related thread. I have to hang wind chimes BEFORE I can take my Spyder out for a ride today. I googled this question on the internet for over an hour and found no response to the question. Since all Spyder owners know everything I thought someone out there could help me answer this question. While out on vacation in the mountains, I bought some really BIG wind chimes. They weigh about 100 pounds. I want to mount them on a palm in my yard since there are no other trees nearby. Can I drill my lateral and horizontal supports directly into the trunk of my sabal palm with out killing it? The palm is about 40' tall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by 0228lisa; 03-22-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

Adding holes to a chime usually changes the tone. I would not do it. Put up a picture and maybe we can give you a better idea.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    Adding holes to a chime usually changes the tone. I would not do it. Put up a picture and maybe we can give you a better idea.
    The chimes won't be touched. I'm securing what looks like a plant hangar arm that came with the chimes (meant for mounting on a house). I want it in the yard on a palm instead of the house. In Florida here it can get quite windy so I don't want them hung on the house where they could possibly hit something.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 0228lisa View Post
    OK, before anyway starts in on me.....this is a Spyder related thread. I have to hang wind chimes BEFORE I can take my Spyder out for a ride today. I googled this question on the internet for over an hour and found no response to the question. Since all Spyder owners know everything I thought someone out there could help me answer this question. While out on vacation in the mountains, I bought some really BIG wind chimes. They weigh about 100 pounds. I want to mount them on a palm in my yard since there are no other trees nearby. Can I drill my lateral and horizontal supports directly into the trunk of my sabal palm with out killing it? The palm is about 40' tall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    It sounds like a beautiful tree, lisa--I would say don't drill it.

The risk is the same one we try to minimize by using a tree-strap made of nylon to put around a tree, rather than looping a chain around the trunk when trying to brace a 4wd vehicle when winching, etc.

Drilling a couple of holes probably wouldn't kill it, but would create an opportunity for bacterial "infection."

Maybe get a nice, decorative wrought iron plant hangar/bird feeder hanger that you can put into the ground. Advantage being that you can relocate it if the sound is too faint or too overwhelming due to its proximity to where you are listening to the chimes while you wash your Spyder. (See, it was a Spyder question.)

My $0.02

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler View Post

The risk is the same one we try to minimize by using a tree-strap made of nylon to put around a tree, rather than looping a chain around the trunk when trying to brace a 4wd vehicle when winching, etc.

Drilling a couple of holes probably wouldn't kill it, but would create an opportunity for bacterial "infection."

Maybe get a nice, decorative wrought iron plant hangar/bird feeder hanger that you can put into the ground. Advantage being that you can relocate it if the sound is too faint or too overwhelming due to its proximity to where you are listening to the chimes while you wash your Spyder. (See, it was a Spyder question.)

My $0.02
    I like the ground mount idea but these suckers are 6' long. I'd have to mount it on a flag pole to get it off the ground and that would take away the beauty of them. I have to post a pic. These things are big and beautiful.
    Last edited by 0228lisa; 03-22-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Spyder Garage

...using a tree-strap made of nylon to put around a tree
    Strap is the way to go. Ditch the hanger part and loop the strap up at top of the palm and just hang the chime that way.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Strap is the way to go. Ditch the hanger part and loop the strap up at top of the palm and just hang the chime that way.
    If you strap it over the crown of the palm they'll just hang against the palm trunk and won't chime. Won't work. I've got it figured out if I know drilling holes won't kill the palm. I called a tree nursery and they are closed on Sunday. Oh well, screw the project for today. Going for a Spyder ride

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yup. Good-er idea.

Go get the extension ladder (or firetruck!)

Spyder Garage

Drag them behind the spyder and ride around your gated community with a sign that says"Just Cruisin".
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Why not strap the bracket to the palm tree instead of screwing it in?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    Drag them behind the spyder and ride around your gated community with a sign that says"Just Cruisin".

You pay attention. I like that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Why not strap the bracket to the palm tree instead of screwing it in?

You got it. I have bendable metal straps and I was wondering just leave 'em like that are screw them in. That's what started this whole thing.

Spyder Garage

I don't know how long it is, but have you thought about making a decorative tri-pod~tee-pee kinda thing and hang it from the center?
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    I don't know how long it is, but have you thought about making a decorative tri-pod~tee-pee kinda thing and hang it from the center?

They are 5' or more. But you did give me an idea. I have two palms about 5' apart and I could just wire them together and hang if from the middle.....hhhhmmmmm.

Spyder Garage

That sounds like a much better idea than drilling a hole in your beautiful tree. Love to see a picture when you get done. I love doing landscaping stuff.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    That sounds like a much better idea than drilling a hole in your beautiful tree. Love to see a picture when you get done. I love doing landscaping stuff.

Me too. We've got that in common. I'll post some pics after I get it hung.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 0228lisa View Post
    Me too. We've got that in common. I'll post some pics after I get it hung.
    Drill it. Tree will survive. Did it and tree loved the chime.
    Problem with Capitalism is you use up other peoples money, than cry for more handouts.
    ME

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I agree with Baldev. 3/8 x 4 in. lag bolt (s) should the trick and a 40 ft. tree should have no problem at all. IMHO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by barb36jack31 View Post
    I agree with Baldev. 3/8 x 4 in. lag bolt (s) should the trick and a 40 ft. tree should have no problem at all. IMHO
    I agree with these last two, lag bolt it. I was a landscaper for 30yrs. and we would guy-wire heavy limbs this way for additional support. Eventually the bark will grow around the bolts or screws and cover them, the tree will be fine.

Spyder Garage

Give the chimes to a close biker friend, they will ward off....oh wait thats a bell.
    Northramp
    2009 RED SE5, Very Happy Owner (1-15-09)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

My $0.02
    Mr Green Jeans how have you been

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

March, Smarch !!!

Now I'm all interested in seeing pictures of the darned wind chimes!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Nail some spikes in her, dont worry trees take good care of themselves.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    Umm........, the post you quoted was from last March.......
    Oh well ok then is the tree still alive

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rmcaskey View Post
    Now I'm all interested in seeing pictures of the darned wind chimes!!!

YEAH PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    EXTREMELY HAPPY OWNER