Thread: oil

Spyder Garage

Default oil

A friend of mine who rides an SE5 had no oil on the dipstick (after 1400 miles without checking it) was told by his dealer to add 1/2 quart of 5-40 non- detergent, recheck, and add to the correct level. He was told they mix synthetic and non-detergent to increase clutch life. Anyone familiar with this procedure?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by skeet View Post
    A friend of mine who rides an SE5 had no oil on the dipstick (after 1400 miles without checking it) was told by his dealer to add 1/2 quart of 5-40 non- detergent, recheck, and add to the correct level. He was told they mix synthetic and non-detergent to increase clutch life. Anyone familiar with this procedure?
    You can't just throw in any old oil! It still must be an oil suitable for wet clutch motorcycle use. It is possible to mix most synthetics and conventional oils nowadays, and you can even buy blends, but there is still a risk that the two will be incompatible. Why take a huge chance like this? If you are going that route, I'd recommend adding a readily available 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle oil, meeting the rest of the spec, just to get by for a short time. In addition, until BRP changes its strict oil recommendation, use of anything outside their specs can void the warraty if damage occurs as a result. I would tell your friend to use an oil meeting the specs...and to find another dealer, pronto!

You might make sure your friend checked the oil level properly. The engine must be to full operating temperature, not merely just warmed up to show a few bars on the gauge. Best time is immediately after a ride. Pull the side panel. start the Spyder for at least 30 seconds, shut off the engine, and check the level immediately, screwing in the dipstick completely. Failure to follow this procedure closely will result in oil not showing on the dipstick.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You can't just throw in any old oil! It still must be an oil suitable for wet clutch motorcycle use. It is possible to mix most synthetics and conventional oils nowadays, and you can even buy blends, but there is still a risk that the two will be incompatible. Why take a huge chance like this? If you are going that route, I'd recommend adding a readily available 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle oil, meeting the rest of the spec, just to get by for a short time. In addition, until BRP changes its strict oil recommendation, use of anything outside their specs can void the warraty if damage occurs as a result. I would tell your friend to use an oil meeting the specs...and to find another dealer, pronto!

You might make sure your friend checked the oil level properly. The engine must be to full operating temperature, not merely just warmed up to show a few bars on the gauge. Best time is immediately after a ride. Pull the side panel. start the Spyder for at least 30 seconds, shut off the engine, and check the level immediately, screwing in the dipstick completely. Failure to follow this procedure closely will result in oil not showing on the dipstick.
    -Scotty

I guess that means I better find out how to check the oil. Thanks for the post that reminded me. Only have about 25 miles on it now.

Spyder Garage

Default oil

My friend's "Dealership" is a Honda dealer, and just started the Spyder sales and service. I wasn't too impressed with their knowledge on the Spyder. I did go to his house and made sure he was using the correct procedure. While there I called my service dept in Arkansas, and their recommendation was to add Synthetic. He added the non-detergent, and I suggested that the oil should be drained and refilled to the proper level.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by skeet View Post
    My friend's "Dealership" is a Honda dealer, and just started the Spyder sales and service. I wasn't too impressed with their knowledge on the Spyder. I did go to his house and made sure he was using the correct procedure. While there I called my service dept in Arkansas, and their recommendation was to add Synthetic. He added the non-detergent, and I suggested that the oil should be drained and refilled to the proper level.
    Do not use a non-detergent oil unless specifically recommended, in writing, by BRP. This is not good stuff in modern engines with oil filters. The Spyder is not a Model T! To be honest, you are unlikely to find non-detergent in anything but a mineral oil in the first place...and you will have to search high and low for that these days.
    -Scotty