Thread: Lesson Learned

Spyder Garage

Default Lesson Learned

Well it is official my STS should not be pushed past 195 miles. Ran out of fuel at 198 into my ride along I84.

Being in a wheelchair I have not been good at getting off to add fuel. Least I had 2 gallons with me. I was only 16 miles from home but that is a long ways when you are sitting at the side of the freeway..

No one stopped along the highway either, bikes included. Oh well was prepared. Had it in my head these held 7 gallons and I had been averaging over 35 mpg so thought all was well. I guess it is 6.2 not 7.4 gallons.

All is well that ends well.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that no one stopped. Glad all is well.
    His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hard to believe no bikes stopped. I have even stopped for scooters if I see them on the side of the road. My guess is that any bike that passed was a weekend poser..oops, I mean warrior. Glad you got home okay.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, I'm amazed that no one stopped to help you. Now you know how far you can go and I hope that you will get gas a little sooner next time. I was trying to remember if you had a gas door on your seat but then I realized that that wouldn't have helped you much. You still had to off load your chair and transfer to it to get at your spare fuel. And I bet it was blazing hot too?

Glad you made it home, take care my friend.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

But you were pushing it if you read the ranges posted here...do have to sort out the 1330,s. Well now you know exactly how far you can go on a tank of gas. I generally do this with all new vehicles...run it dry carrying extra fuel. Glad you did too. sorry you were not helped..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Distress signal

If you need help, put your helmet on the ground between your bike and the edge of the road. Flashers help, but the time honored signal is the helmet. Glad you are ok!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The helmet on the ground...
    But with your physical condition posing "challenges"; why push such an unimportant limit to the popping point?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Glad it all worked out for you. Sorry to hear no one stopped to help. You got me beat by 10 miles. I did not run out at 185, but it took 5.8 to refill.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

To answer Mr Denman I pushed it because it is a hassle to get on and off the bike. I truly thought I had the range based on other rides and fuel usage. That being said as you noticed I did not rely on that thought as I was carrying fuel. Still all and all I now know for certain that 180-190 is really the safe range to count on fuel.

My ryde the previous weekend I went 208 miles on 5.5 gallons of fuel. Also note I had it in my head that the tank held 7.2 gallons.

Yes it was very hot especially being as I left the jacket on for visibility. Was only 10 minutes but sweat all the way home after that though. Cannot understand how anyone can ride in leather in the heat. Thank goodness for air flow jackets and evap vests.