Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Mirror Problem-- Part Doux

The left mirror on my 2014 RTL has condensation building up under the clear lens on the front of it. I thought it would be covered under warranty but seems the bumper-to-bumper expired 3 mos. ago and the BEST warranty doesn't cover it. Plan B is to take it apart, dry it out and try to seal it. It looks like a challenge to get this thing apart. Has anyone taken the mirror apart and what are some tips for doing it. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I guess someone has to ask.... What was Part one about?? And why on earth wouldn't you post 'Part two' on the end of the 'Part one' thread?? Unless it's not really a part two???

Now that I've asked that, a comment re your issue - I had some condensation that appeared in the indicators on the mirrors of my 2013 RT - so I parked the Spyder in the sun for a day & after that no more condensation! It hasn't come back since, altho after some later wet weather ryding I have since had a couple of episodes of condensation appearing on the inside of the glass analog gauges on the dash. That usually mostly clears up during the next ryde, but since it's recurred a couple of times, I'm now planning on doing the 'park it in the sun for a day' trick with the sun shining on those gauges..... And I guess we'll see how well that works!?!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Part one was posted under RT Touring. I decided RT shop talk might be more appropriate since it is a repair issue. The condensation has lasted for about a month. It has been in the sun for hours during a long ride last weekend. It will need to be sealed or the contacts inside will start to corrode.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I finally got the body of the mirror apart. The unit containing the bulbs appears to be a sealed unit--not meant to be opened. There is a black silicon sealant around about half of the lens. I have pried it apart and dried it out. Will try to get some glue to seal it up. I suspect that the way this thing is made, you would have to buy the entire mirror assembly to replace the bulbs.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BULBS ??????

Quote Originally Posted by txhood View Post
    I finally got the body of the mirror apart. The unit containing the bulbs appears to be a sealed unit--not meant to be opened. There is a black silicon sealant around about half of the lens. I have pried it apart and dried it out. Will try to get some glue to seal it up. I suspect that the way this thing is made, you would have to buy the entire mirror assembly to replace the bulbs.
    Do you mean LED's ????? ..... because their lifespan is so long they never need re-placing ( 20,000 hrs + ) .......JMHO....Mike