Spyder Garage

Default Will the real axle torque please stand up???

ST Maintainers, confusing information on rear axle torque.

2013 STS - Service Manual specifies 166 N-m in one place and 2 pages later 130 N-m.

Conventional wisdom from Spyderlovers points to 130 spec.

I see that the 2013 STS belt tension spec is higher than previous years. This makes me believe the 166 number is correct, and the reference to 130 is a misprint left over from previous years?

Anyone have any experience in this area?

All info appreciated.

Spyderfish - West Bloomfield, MI

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BELT TENSION SPECS

BRP actually lowered them in a TSB ...... if you have Kritkit gauge you might find 165 lbs. as measured with wheel on the ground should also help with the Vibration issue .........................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

but then if you are talking about the axle torque, as in the title, mine is at 96 ft.lbs...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Belt Tension

Blue Knight,

Thanx for info, but I think the 2013 is different.

I just looked at the Service Manual, tension spec for belt is 1050 N (236 lbf) for 2013. The manual indicates this is not the correct spec for previous years 450 N, so I assume they changed the design in 2013 to support higher tension, and thus less vibration.

I am still not sure about the axle torque, which is ambiguously stated as both 166 and 130 N-m in the service manual.

Spyderfish

Spyder Garage

When I do the conversion to ft-lbs the 130N-M comes out at 96 lbs ( OK 95.8xxxxx but who has a torque wrench that reads that fine in their home garage?). That is the one I use to torque my axle and so far it has been just fine thru 22K+.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Axle torque. I say go with 166 lb-ft. The 2013 RT service manual has the same conflict in the service instruction pages but the technical spec page shows 166. The 2014 RT service manual does not show the 130 number at all, only 166.

Belt tension. BRP has gone back and forth on this. According to the TSB Mike notes above anything from about 550 newtons to 1050 newtons is OK. The instructions are to set it at whatever tension in that range results in belt vibration the owner is willing to live with.

Swing arm, axle, and belt are the same for ST and RT.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 07-23-2016 at 01:43 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Buzzz, we have a winner -- 166 N-m (122 lbf-ft)

Thanx Idaho for the info from the 2014 Service Manual. This definitely validates that there is an error in the 2013 Manual.

My belt currently reads around 225 on the Cricket. For last adjustment, I cranked the axle nut to 166 N-m, this is a whole lot of twist; used a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench, 18 inch handle. Takes a lot of forearm, I was afraid the frame was going to deform, but it finally clicked.

BTW, I put a new Kumho tire in February, along with the SmoothSpyder, there is virtually no vibration compared to as-purchased.

Thanks to all.

Spyderfish

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BELT TENSION

Quote Originally Posted by spyderfish View Post
    Blue Knight,

Thanx for info, but I think the 2013 is different.

I just looked at the Service Manual, tension spec for belt is 1050 N (236 lbf) for 2013. The manual indicates this is not the correct spec for previous years 450 N, so I assume they changed the design in 2013 to support higher tension, and thus less vibration.

I am still not sure about the axle torque, which is ambiguously stated as both 166 and 130 N-m in the service manual.

Spyderfish
    ...........I'll leave the axle torque alone you have that covered ............. However many folks here have found that reduced belt tension has resulted in LESS BELT VIBRATION ........I know this sounds contrary to what we might think BUT IT WORKS ask .....BAJARON ..... also if the belt is too tight MAJOR DAMAGE WILL OCCUR .....if it is too loose ( within reason ) nothing bad will occur ............... so which error do you want to make ...............good luck..... PS my belt is way below spec and I'm very Happy....................Mike

Spyder Garage

My service manual says 166 foot pounds. I had to go buy a very large torque wrench when I read that.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I questioned the 166 foot lbs with a Spyder tech I trust and he confirmed that it was 166 foot lbs. So that is what I have been doing.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Lower Belt Tension

Good info Blue Knight, thanks for the additional findings on the belt tension. Yes it does seem counter-intuitive, but so many things about the Spyder are very unconventional, this behavior is not surprising.

Good to hear that the lower belt tension is working for you. I am not sure exactly where to go with this info, the current vibe level on my Spyder is great. It is good to know all the alternatives, I'll spend some time looking through the posts on this..

Thx,

Spyderfish

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I torqued it close to 100 and I couldn't do any tighter. Most riders seem to have no problems and neither do I.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

96 for me and just did 2000km and no issues.

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk
    2011 RT Limited , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps the 2013's axle torque specification is lower, because they knew that heat would expand things...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black