Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Face shield question

Good day Spyderlovers,

We just got our first Spyder RT, and I have a question about face shields. If you are riding on a sunny day, do you prefer dark face shield or sunglasses? If you use a dark shield during the day and will be riding when it's dark, do you carry an extra shield with you?
    Also, we are in WA, and I've heard that mirrored face shields are illigal here, but I couldn't really find any laws stating this. Does anyone from WA has this info?
    Also, a question to WA riders. What's the best way to get an endorsement? If you are from California, you are lucky, since you don't need one to ride a Spyder

Thanks everyone.
    A

Spyder Garage

We have Nolan 40 series that we use mostly. They have the drop down sunshield on the inside. They work very well as sunglasses.

I have used light tinted blue and light tinted yellow face plates. Easy on, easy off if you need to change over--but--we both mostly use the clear faceplates.

Our personal .02.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a drop down sunshield on my helmet. I mostly just rely on my sunglasses though. The only time I wish I had a full face shield is when I ride in the rain. At speed, those rain drops feel like nails hitting my face.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I Carry extra shield

I use a tinted pinlock insert (no fogging) on one shield and a clear pinlock on another shield. In addition I have a strip of gaffers tape on top of each shield to block direct sun overhead. Although pulldown shades built into Helmets is super convenient, I prefer a safer helmet without it - check out Webbikeworld article on same as to why - don't want to change thread topic. My Full face HJC helmet is quick and simple to change shields - not that way with my previous Arai.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

I really love mirrored shields. They work much better than dark smoke shields. You can wear them in lower lighting than a dark shield. But you still need to carry a clear shield for night time.

I don't know of anywhere in the USA where a mirrored shield is illegal. Many European countries will not allow you to wear any shield where the face is not readily visible. So even dark smoke shields are illegal in these cases.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My HJC also has a drop down sunshield.
    But I added a piece of 95% blocking super-dark tinted Mylar, across the top of the outer shield.
    When I use them in conjunction; I think that I could stare into the Sun!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default choices

I use my sunglasses but am looking at the drop down for my next helmet. I do have a modular giving you the option of lifting the face plate up...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

We use "Transition" Shields. They're awesome. They work just like transition glasses. Get dark in the sunlight and clear in the dark. I do still use my sunglasses on those bright sunny days, but I have kinda sensitive eyes in the sun. Our helmets are Bell helmets, and I'm not sure how many brands the Transitions are available for. Cost a couple yrs ago was right at $100 each, maybe they've come down a bit since then. Convenience is costly......
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Do they make polarized sun shields? I use my drop down but there is always issues with glare - especially being a wearer of glasses.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Cognac

Grip Puppies
    Laser Alignment
    F4 Custom Plus3 Wide with Vent and front blackout
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Ultimate Mid Rider with Driver Backrest
    GearBrake - Smart Brake Module
    Custom Dynamics High Mount Brake Light with Flasher Module
    Lamonster RAM Universal X Grip Cell Phone Holder
    Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff with. 20oz Bottle Holder
    Lamonster FBB Highway Brackets - Dually Trident Black
    Best Warranty until 10/28/2019

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get yourself a set of Fisherman's Sunglasses. They have the polarization stuff worked-out to perfection.
    If you can't put them over your glasses; see if you can get a set of prescription sunglasses made up, that are polarized for that sort of purpose.
    (I'm also SUPER glare-sensitive... and night blind! )

Spyder Garage

Just bought a Shoei RF-1200 (no drop-down shield.) I wear prescription sport sunglasses with Transitions lenses.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    Just bought a Shoei RF-1200 (no drop-down shield.) I wear prescription sport sunglasses with Transitions lenses.
    I also wear prescription glasses that are transitions. As soon as I get behind a shield or a windshield, the transition doesn't work....Grrr.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Live in WA

Quote Originally Posted by imcheetah View Post
    Good day Spyderlovers,

We just got our first Spyder RT, and I have a question about face shields. If you are riding on a sunny day, do you prefer dark face shield or sunglasses? If you use a dark shield during the day and will be riding when it's dark, do you carry an extra shield with you?
    Also, we are in WA, and I've heard that mirrored face shields are illigal here, but I couldn't really find any laws stating this. Does anyone from WA has this info?
    Also, a question to WA riders. What's the best way to get an endorsement? If you are from California, you are lucky, since you don't need one to ride a Spyder

Thanks everyone.
    A
    Re endorsement. Easy way is take an evergreen trike course..i learned a lot plus got slip to take to DOL which with $$ I had legal endorsement on my driver's license.

Re glasses and shields. I have light sensitive eyes so my glasses have the "progressive / transition lense that auto darken. I use face shield when raining or windy.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use a Nolan 103 modular. I removed the shield, mostly because I had it pushed open all the time but the wind kept pushing it down. I put it on if it's raining. I wear transition glasses which get really dark so I don't need sunglasses. But for those times when I'm riding toward the sun I cut the drop down dark shield so when it's all the way down it's just above my eyes. I put a piece of sun shade film on it so it's almost completely dark. Works kind of like the sun visor in the car. I should have cut it a bit lower at the ends to better block the low sun from the side.

Helmet Nolan 103.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Vote 2 for transitions visor. Brilliant on my Bell. Also available for shoei.
    my vote - way better than drop down internal sun visor or sunglasses, and I have used both.
    the optical quality of the bell transitions is excellent.

Spyder Garage

I use a Neotec, that has a drop-down tinted visor.

Flip it up when it's not needed, and down when you want it.

It's a must-have feature now for any future brain bucket.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by imcheetah View Post
    Good day Spyderlovers,

Thanks everyone.
    A

Personally I have a modular HJC with clear visor & a seperate internal shade visor. I mainly use my sunglasses but times of the day i can use both & still have the protection I need with airflow I try to keep a spare pare of shades handy too for my forgetful moments.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I rely on my glasses. I have the lenses that adjust but keep a pair of clip ons that are even darker for when I'm traveling directly into the sun. My helmet has a drop down shield from inside. I use a high def shield there which is great when it is raining or at night. It really lightens up the road on a dreary or rainy day and at night.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It takes a lot of "Macho"; to be able to wear these...

107cd597_006.jpg

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It takes a lot of "Macho"; to be able to wear these...

107cd597_006.jpg
    Macho?? Macho?? I think all it takes is a serious lack of cranial neutron activity to wear them!!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have a Shoei RF1100, and do the face shield swap between a dark smoke and clear, the Shoei has a very simple shield swap capability. I also wear Rx polarized sunglasses, because I have blue eyes and need that extra uv protection, antiglare and so my eyes don't water.

I would love the transitions shield but they are $140 and I can easily swap the shield, for that money lol.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a Bell helmet with a Transitions shield, gets dark and light automatically. Love it'. I still wear sunglasses under it but my eyes are very sensitive to the light.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Licensing

In Oregon you have to take the motorcycle class (Team Oregon) but in Wash I believe you need a trike class to get the 3 wheel endorsement. Not sure how the motorcycle license transfers from another state.
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the great solutions to my sun blindness problem. I will implement as soon as I can ride here in VT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I have a drop down sunshield on my helmet. I mostly just rely on my sunglasses though. The only time I wish I had a full face shield is when I ride in the rain. At speed, those rain drops feel like nails hitting my face.

Pam
    FYI HJC clear with built in shade option. Mostly just use my shade & if I need extra I'll flip down the helmet shade too. Clear visor 100% of time however does need cleaning at the moment & I keep spare shades handy, have lost a few.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights