Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Guys, I just got my 2013 spyder RTL back from the dealer, and the new vents look good and do a good job! Most of you talking about the hot temperatures in your state needs to come to South Georgia and ride with me! You live in a cool state, believe me! My wife and I rode about 150 miles on ours today. On the road with no red lights, I would say my temp. gauge was showing about 10-15 % cooler. The panels were cool, the top glove box which is normally very hot, is very cool now! In city driving, the temp. gauge went back to it's normal position. We got on I-75 interstate, and drove it for about 30 miles at speed up to 80 MPH. Stopped and got gas, no fumes, and the gas tank seem very cool!!! I do think the air going out the right side vents by my right foot has increased and seems to have hotter air on my boot! My spyder is a totally different bike with the new air vents installed, and I recommend them highly! Now if I can solve the hot air on my right foot, I will be a happy camper! Still don't think the reliability is as good as other bikes! Never had any problems with my honda's, yamaha's, or my 5 harley's!!
    GA Farm Boy,

Congratulations. You are only mentioning the new air scoops in your message, but I assume you understand that there was a LOT more to the 2013 RT heat recall than just the air scoops - the fuel system changeover, and the ECM reprogramming, etc. Hopefully the dealer did the complete recall for you.

Your post describes pretty much the same results I got with my 2013 RTL after the recall - plus about a 20% improvement on fuel economy, to boot. Like you, I was VERY happy with the results.

HERE is how I recently resolved the right foot heat for good.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-06-2016 at 12:10 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Guys, I just got my 2013 spyder RTL back from the dealer, and the new vents look good and do a good job! Most of you talking about the hot temperatures in your state needs to come to South Georgia and ride with me! You live in a cool state, believe me! My wife and I rode about 150 miles on ours today. On the road with no red lights, I would say my temp. gauge was showing about 10-15 % cooler. The panels were cool, the top glove box which is normally very hot, is very cool now! In city driving, the temp. gauge went back to it's normal position. We got on I-75 interstate, and drove it for about 30 miles at speed up to 80 MPH. Stopped and got gas, no fumes, and the gas tank seem very cool!!! I do think the air going out the right side vents by my right foot has increased and seems to have hotter air on my boot! My spyder is a totally different bike with the new air vents installed, and I recommend them highly! Now if I can solve the hot air on my right foot, I will be a happy camper! Still don't think the reliability is as good as other bikes! Never had any problems with my honda's, yamaha's, or my 5 harley's!!

I guess other than the heat issue what other reliability problems or issues have you had?

​Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Modifications for Hart

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Rode our 2013 RTS SE5 for about 145 miles today and when I got home the time and temperature at the two local banks said 98° at one and 101° at the other. The humidity is just below the point where gills are required for breathing. The only time that I felt uncomfortable was at stop lights in Peoria. I must say BRP did a pretty good job with the modifications they made to alleviate the heat problems people were experiencing.

I wouldn't recommend riding in shorts, tank tops and flip-flops. After all, we are riding on hot pavement so something less than air conditioned bliss should be expected. But, dressed for safety, I was very pleasantly surprised.

I love this Spyder more and more with every passing mile!
    Was there a recall of the 2013 RTS SE5 from BRP? If so, was that for just the 2013, or would that have included the 2012 as well?

Spyder Garage

Default The heat management modification

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    Was there a recall of the 2013 RTS SE5 from BRP? If so, was that for just the 2013, or would that have included the 2012 as well?
    Was for all the 2013 RT models. BRP subsequently allowed owners of earlier years to purchase the vent scoops as well.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

I had my 2011 RTL done last fall, BRP covered the whole job.
    Dealer installed.

Spyder Garage

Default Not a cricket

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    So nice to hear at least one 2013Rt made it through the recall without being butchered and destroyed in the process. Louise's RT spent MONTHS in the shop afterward and left her stranded 3 times with very large towing bills. All because of the recall moved a wiring harness which then rubbed and shorted. While BRP did help a bit with getting her into a 2015, it still cost us better than 10k for this 2013 engineering SNAFU.

Every 2013 RT is now a heavily modified bike. As such I strongly recommend folks to avoid them at any cost. There is a reason they sell for so little. Stay away. If you are unfortunate enough to be stuck with one as we were, you have my sincere condolences. BRP should have been forced to allow the owners to sell them back. The owners should not have been stuck with the financial loss that BRP caused.
    you cant give them away for 12k here.
    In my case it was not poor workmanship by the dealer. It was a wiring harness that was not installed AT THE FACTORY where it was supposed to be. Then when moved according to the recall instructions, it chaffed, and shorted the throttle input circuit. It took months to find as it could not be seen until BRP finally authorized a full engine/chassis harness replacement. During the remove and install the problem was found.

This was a BRP mess up and it cost us over $10k. After the bike was finally repaired we tried for months to sell it for $12k. No one wanted it. Even with the BRP extended warranty. Dealer would only give 8k AS A TRADE IN. Finally got 10k for it as a trade in on a new SUV for my wife and the Ford dealer wholesaled it for the same.

Yes I am bitter with how the whole 2013 RT debacle played out. I still have spyders and we LOVE to ride.

Understand totally.

I think it's hard for some to comprehend the difference between liking a product and feeling like you've been had by the manufacturer.

Thanks for your honest opinion.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Arrow Bean counters and the legal department were all over it

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    It's not just the vents that "cured" the 2013 RT, but to answer your question, there are two reasons...

First, they didn't know that the 2013 vents would work so well until late in 2015 and by that time the 2016 models were already under production.

Secondly, in light of the first point, if they started putting those vents on the RT's now, many would see it as an admission that even the 1330,s have heat problems similar to the 2013 RT's - and that is an impression that BRP would want to avoid at ALL costs. They will sell you the intake vents for any RT, however, at a fairly reasonable cost.
    Same holds true for the pre thirteens. Including them, could have been construed as admission of guilt, if there were any outstanding cases in litigation.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jer,
    The 2010 to 2012 RTs were not AS affected by this problem. It was the 2013 frame-change, that exacerbated it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Dead horses

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Jer,
    The 2010 to 2012 RTs were not AS affected by this problem. It was the 2013 frame-change, that exacerbated it.
    Key word "AS".

But you do concede.

It was a problem, for those of us who's AS-ses were the ones being COOKED.

That's a big step.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

while I was living in south carolina last year I bought the air scoop kit and did the install. threw the acoustic panels and a couple other pieces into file 13. although the 12's didn't have the published serious issues, after I installed the scoops it did make a difference in comfort. I think they look "cool" to. now to get rid of the big air blocking resonator and airfilter box.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did a careful job in choosing that word...
    Thanks for noticing it!
    By the way: my 2010 never had any heat issues.
    I've come to suspect that it may have a lot to do with the non-existent traffic up here.
    I never get caught in Stop & Go conditions, so I've always had lots of airflow around the bike.

Spyder Garage

Smile Yup, I may be OLD but the reading comprehension is holding its own.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I did a careful job in choosing that word...
    Thanks for noticing it!
    By the way: my 2010 never had any heat issues.
    I've come to suspect that it may have a lot to do with the non-existent traffic up here.
    I never get caught in Stop & Go conditions, so I've always had lots of airflow around the bike.
    And, if you lived any closer to Canada....you'd wear a parka year round.

I knew you were merely attempting to be informative to the newbies. Weren't you?

it's not like I needed to be brought up to speed on the HEAT issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's anywhere between "above freezing, and "Holy CRAP: pass me another beer!": I'll be riding!
    (and it WAS an attempt to inform the others: I know your stake in this story! )

Spyder Garage

Default vent scoops

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    Was for all the 2013 RT models. BRP subsequently allowed owners of earlier years to purchase the vent scoops as well.

Since they had to be purchased, do you recall how much you paid, and how much your dealer charged to have them installed? If I were able to look on ebay to obtain them, what would I be looking for?

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think they were around $70. Heat management kit. On our 2012 RT heat was not a problem until we moved to the desert.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 03-30-2017 at 02:29 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    Since they had to be purchased, do you recall how much you paid, and how much your dealer charged to have them installed? If I were able to look on ebay to obtain them, what would I be looking for?
    In this thread it lists the PN for the kit. I believe I paid about $50 buck for ours from the dealer. I never was able to find any kits on eBay.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=85651

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!