Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member redneck diva's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default has anyone tried adding speakers to their RT saddlebags?

looking to get more umphhhhhh out of my spydy radio when doing long rides..........

radio sounds great at 60 & under,,,,,,, but I rarely ride 60 & under hahaha (unless in town) was wondering if anyone had tried adding some bigger/better speakers to the saddlebags on their RT

my hubby has a friend that has a victory cross country bike & he just added speakers to the top of his saddlebags & they sound amazing.

IMG_8085.jpg
    Redneck Diva

Member of the Southern Cruisers Riding Club Chapter #213--
    Central Georgia
    Proud PGR rider

Spyder Garage

Default Finally

So I'm an audiofile and have very hi end setups in all of my vehicles. I have asked the question about speakers on here occasionally and some have good suggestions as to what works better.

My audio shop has said repeatidly that my best option would be to add an external deck either under the dash where the little safety flap sits, or in the back or front storage ran via Bluetooth which a lot of decks now allow you to do with the manufactures app. or via remote. Then to add seperates up front which there is plenty of options and room to do that and 6x9's in the side storage bins. For me I honestly don't use them to much and so that would work for me, others use then and may not be a good option for them. Amped as well this system would absolutely rock and hit very hard and crisp without spending a ton of money. My shop is aching to do this and will, but I'm not looking to do the custom work until next spring. I so hope someone does it before and we can see the picks and learn how great it could be.

GREAT CONCEPT AND IDEA!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPEAKERS

Quote Originally Posted by redneck diva View Post
    looking to get more umphhhhhh out of my spydy radio when doing long rides..........

radio sounds great at 60 & under,,,,,,, but I rarely ride 60 & under hahaha (unless in town) was wondering if anyone had tried adding some bigger/better speakers to the saddlebags on their RT

my hubby has a friend that has a victory cross country bike & he just added speakers to the top of his saddlebags & they sound amazing.

IMG_8085.jpg
    .....First a question about the Cross Country Speakers ....FACING UP .....( I ASSUME THAT'S HOW THEY ARE MOUNTED ) ..... Do they have a solid cover to keep the water out ???? .... if so I think that must be diminishing the volume a fair amount !!!......Now back to you , I also have an RT and can hear my speakers fine at 75 mph.. .But I swapped mine out for 5.25" JBL - 2 OHM speakers front and rear ......I have the OEM radio and mostly use an MP-3, ( radio reception can be iffy and poor selection etc.).......My speakers cost me $ 120.00 for all 4..........Mike

Spyder Garage

they are marine grade speakers & yes they are facing up...........at an angle. & he has them tilted just a little so water drips off & out & silicone sealed so nothing gets into the actual saddlebag.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....First a question about the Cross Country Speakers ....FACING UP .....( I ASSUME THAT'S HOW THEY ARE MOUNTED ) ..... Do they have a solid cover to keep the water out ???? .... if so I think that must be diminishing the volume a fair amount !!!......Now back to you , I also have an RT and can hear my speakers fine at 75 mph.. .But I swapped mine out for 5.25" JBL - 2 OHM speakers front and rear ......I have the OEM radio and mostly use an MP-3, ( radio reception can be iffy and poor selection etc.).......My speakers cost me $ 120.00 for all 4..........Mike
    Redneck Diva

Central Georgia
    Proud PGR rider

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bluestratos has added a big amplifier, and upgraded his speakers.
    You might want to get in touch with him.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default SPEAKERS

they are marine grade speakers & yes they are facing up...........at an angle. & he has them tilted just a little so water drips off & out & silicone sealed so nothing gets into the actual saddlebag.
    Interesting !!!!................I had a Part II in my response ...............Mike

Spyder Garage

Default SPEAKERS

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Bluestratos has added a big amplifier, and upgraded his speakers.
    You might want to get in touch with him.
    And He only spent in the neighborhood of ........................................$900.00 ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You give everybody ALL the options, and let them decide...

Spyder Garage

I called my friends that added all my LED lights for me & asked him to check into it, he thought it was a great idea & may be something he could do.
    Redneck Diva

Central Georgia
    Proud PGR rider

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What am I missing? If you want halfway decent audio isn't a headset in a helmet the obvious way to go? That way you shut out external noise so the audio doesn't have to overcome it!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

IMG_8085.jpg
    If you look at the way the cover closes the is no room to add a speaker without cutting into the top of the inside compartment. Then there is the latch assembly to consider.
    Last edited by Doc - Riverside; 07-22-2016 at 01:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    If you look at the way the cover closes the is no room to add a speaker without cutting into the top of the inside compartment. Then there is the latch assembly to con consider.
    Doc, I don't think that PIC is of a Spyder ..................jmho.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Name on saddle bag is Victory.
    Joseph

Spyder Garage

If you look at the way the cover closes the is no room to add a speaker without cutting into the top of the inside compartment. Then there is the latch assembly to con consider.
    What he's saying is if you try to do the same thing on a Spyder, you're in for some real complications!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might be limited by what you can stuff into the OM speaker pods...
    Mike... HOW big, did you say your speakers were??

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL - MAYBE - but

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    What he's saying is if you try to do the same thing on a Spyder, you're in for some real complications!
    Really.......Then why is He showing a PIC of the SADDLEBAG ?????......... If He means some other Saddlebag......ONLY Bob does things like that

Spyder Garage

Default SPEAKER SIZE

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You might be limited by what you can stuff into the OM speaker pods...
    Mike... HOW big, did you say your speakers were??
    5 1/4" Front & Rear...... but I think She is determined to get someone to cram some into Her saddlebags....Whether it makes sense from an Audio prospective or not...............jmho and I wish Her a lot of luck with it...........Mike

Spyder Garage

Really.......Then why is He showing a PIC of the SADDLEBAG ?????......... If He means some other Saddlebag......ONLY Bob does things like that
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact he was quoting the OP and the pic is part of the quote! Suppose?

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

How much storage are you willing to scrafice for sound?? Upgrading the stock rear speakers would be more reasonable, just gotta find the speakers you like That fit. With all the lights that you have shown us , I gotta ask are you turning the spyder in to a mobile DJ station? There were some older spyders out west did some & not too long ago ther was a thread for the custom fiberglass extra speakers (pic of white one, may be the same one others mentioned above?)
    Attached Images Attached Images

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

yes the picture in the original post was a victory cross country like my hubbys friend has,,,,,, I was just using that pic as a reference to see if anyone had thought of doing that to a spydy.............
    Redneck Diva

Central Georgia
    Proud PGR rider

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    What am I missing? If you want halfway decent audio isn't a headset in a helmet the obvious way to go? That way you shut out external noise so the audio doesn't have to overcome it!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    That's what I do. Plus I think it is rude to make everyone around me listen to Disturbed or Nonpoint at full volume when I am stopped at a light.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I read and comprehended her post and responded to the fact that she is wanting to do the same thing to her RT. The RT rear side case closure design is not the same as the Victory design. The RT closes over the the rear side case leaving no room between the top of the lid and the inside of the top part of the rear case.

Spyder Garage

Default CONFUSING STATEMENTS

I read and comprehended her post and responded to the fact that she is wanting to do the same thing to her RT. The RT rear side case closure design is not the same as the Victory design. The RT closes over the the rear side case leaving no room between the top of the lid and the inside of the top part of the rear case.
    Doc, had you indicated you were talking about an ......." RT " ...... I never would have posted what I said to you.................. ....I also suggested to Her of what would work that was far less expensive and much easier to accomplish...... BUT She appears to want this set-up very, very much and I wished Her luck in this endeavor........because imho She is going to need it for the reasons you outlined.....Plus a bunch that you didn't....................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike,
    I agree that it will be tough...

But nothing is impossible; it only takes extra money, effort, swearing, and sometimes a bigger hammer!

Spyder Garage

yep after looking into the saddlebag set up it is as stated by others, it overlaps & then you have the 2 locking mechanisms to consider................ another solution was given at my sound guys shop........ he suggested perforating the inside rear of each saddlebag & have 2 5x7 speakers facing towards the rear tire......... sealing it up for water purposes,,,,, & building a thin wall to protect the rear of the speakers & wires. would only loose about 3-4 inches of depth in the saddlebags & would add some serious sounds.........

just a thought.................

& this is my type of *headbanging music* hahaha

Redneck Diva

Central Georgia
    Proud PGR rider