Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Another Rear Wheel Bearing question..... The BIG FUNKY NUT!

Hey all, I am getting ready to have my rear wheel replaced and wanted to remove and replace all 3 rear bearings and seals. Not sure when the last they were checked or replaced from previous owners, so figured now would be a great start with 52k miles on it.

I have watched a few Youtube videos on replacing the bearings, pretty easy and straightforward task, but, my question is when reinstalling the BIG FUNKY looking NUT, does that need torqueing? And if so, to what specs. Nowhere have I found an answer to that.

AND, if anyone has any great tips, or how to retrofit something to remove that BIG NUT, I am all ears. One Youtuber ( Spyder Stuff ) made his own contraption by welding a small piece of Iron to a Bolt Head, which seemed to work pretty good when slotted into the Nut.

As always, Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
    Hey all, I am getting ready to have my rear wheel replaced and wanted to remove and replace all 3 rear bearings and seals. Not sure when the last they were checked or replaced from previous owners, so figured now would be a great start with 52k miles on it.

I have watched a few Youtube videos on replacing the bearings, pretty easy and straightforward task, but, my question is when reinstalling the BIG FUNKY looking NUT, does that need torqueing? And if so, to what specs. Nowhere have I found an answer to that.

AND, if anyone has any great tips, or how to retrofit something to remove that BIG NUT, I am all ears. One Youtuber ( Spyder Stuff ) made his own contraption by welding a small piece of Iron to a Bolt Head, which seemed to work pretty good when slotted into the Nut.

As always, Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.
    I read 99% + of the posts here since 2010 ..... the amount of REAR or front bearing failures are almost 0 ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-03-2022 at 11:25 PM. Reason: since

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I read 99% + of the posts here since 2010 ..... the amount of REAR or front bearing failures are almost 0 ..... good luck .... Mike

Thanks, Mike. That is great to hear. I have read where others have stated the same as you. Now thinking I'll just possibly give them a good checking over for any type of play or uneven wear. Either way, I'll have a set of bearings on hand, just in case. Thanks again. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-03-2022 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Mike. That is great to hear. I have read where others have stated the same as you. Now thinking I'll just possibly give them a good checking over for any type of play or uneven wear. Either way, I'll have a set of bearings on hand, just in case. Thanks again. Much appreciated.
    PS ... on my 14 RT with 66,000 mi. I still have the OEM bearings ..... I have done a few tire changes .... and they look / feel good to me ..... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

but, my question is when reinstalling the BIG FUNKY looking NUT, does that need torqueing? And if so, to what specs. Nowhere have I found an answer to that.

AND, if anyone has any great tips, or how to retrofit something to remove that BIG NUT, I am all ears.
    The following will give you the answers you need/want.

Posts 7 & 8 here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...xle+nut+torque

Posts 6 & 7 here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...xle+nut+torque

Posts 4 & 5 here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...xle+nut+torque

And this thread: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...xle+nut+torque

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

My rear wheel bearing failed last June on the way to Americade. (Ugh). 62,000 miles. Tire had been changed about 8,000 miles prior to that with no obvious issues. I think I will be more proactive in the future and change them at a lower mileage.
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the links. I pretty much have the Axle Nut, and it's removal process covered. The Nut in question, and, now that I have a name for it, is the Ecru Nut on the rear rim itself ( sprocket side ). I have attached a picture of a rim to show the actual nut itself. The bearing is just beneath that. Looks to take a specific tool to remove that nut. Or a good improvised one. Not sure of the purpose of a nut designed as such, but it is what is, I suppose.

Sorry, I probably should have attached the picture earlier along with the posting. I wasn't sure of the "actual name" other than it's a funky looking nut that Spyder Stuff referred to it as.

Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    My rear wheel bearing failed last June on the way to Americade. (Ugh). 62,000 miles. Tire had been changed about 8,000 miles prior to that with no obvious issues. I think I will be more proactive in the future and change them at a lower mileage.
    I was thinking the same thing since I don't have a full history report on mine. Might as well check, and possibly change them out, while I'm changing out the tire. A little pre-Preventative Maintenance never hurts.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Sorry to hear this ...... bearing failure is not common .... Exactly how / why did you know it occurred ..... and what was the Spyders reaction ..... thanks .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the links. I pretty much have the Axle Nut, and it's removal process covered. The Nut in question, and, now that I have a name for it, is the Ecru Nut on the rear rim itself ( sprocket side ). I have attached a picture of a rim to show the actual nut itself. The bearing is just beneath that. Looks to take a specific tool to remove that nut. Or a good improvised one. Not sure of the purpose of a nut designed as such, but it is what is, I suppose.

Sorry, I probably should have attached the picture earlier along with the posting. I wasn't sure of the "actual name" other than it's a funky looking nut that Spyder Stuff referred to it as.

Thanks again.
    I do not believe that is a nut! It is just a backing spacer for the bearing to ride against. But I have been wrong (1) time before!
    Good Luck............Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

"But I have been wrong (1) time before!"

Was that when you thought you were wrong and discovered you were actually correct?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You got that RIGHT! Ray, ............Bill
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Sorry to hear this ...... bearing failure is not common .... Exactly how / why did you know it occurred ..... and what was the Spyders reaction ..... thanks .... Mike
    It suddenly became very loud, like I was dragging an I-Beam down the road. I first thought something got caught underneath. By process of elimination, we determined it must be the bearing(s). The mechanic showed me that one came out in pieces and one took a lot of work to come out. Thankfully we were only about 30 miles from home, and not 150 miles, so we just poked along home and swapped the luggage over to the SUV for the rally. Dealer I use, Flamingo in Palmer, MA, was great. They were able to get it in shortly after we returned from Lake George.

Bob
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

Rear bearing failure. And front bearing failures for that matter. Are almost always due to an overly tight drive belt. Keep the belt in the lower 2/3's of the UPDATED tension spec. and your bearings will last a very long time.

If you have had a tire change lately. Check belt tension. Sometimes they don't set it back where it should be. Too tight and you probably won't go very far on a bearing set. If you blow out the rear wheel bearing. Count your blessings. The alternative is extremely expensive.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    I do not believe that is a nut! It is just a backing spacer for the bearing to ride against. But I have been wrong (1) time before!
    Good Luck............Bill
    Yep, definitely a Nut!

Earlier, I spoke with a Tech from Lamonster and he confirmed it as such also, and the Special $100 Tool that is used to remove it. Roughly a $200 job if done in shop. Was glad I made the call, and thankful for all his input. I'm a little more all the knowledgeable.

Here is Spyder Stuff's youtube video ( @ 4:29 to be exact ) showing the Nut in question should anyone be interested to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juVK1ogc1BA&t=295s

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, definitely a Nut!

Earlier, I spoke with a Tech from Lamonster and he confirmed it as such also, and the Special $100 Tool that is used to remove it. Roughly a $200 job if done in shop. Was glad I made the call, and thankful for all his input. I'm a little more all the knowledgeable.

Here is Spyder Stuff's youtube video ( @ 4:29 to be exact ) showing the Nut in question should anyone be interested to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juVK1ogc1BA&t=295s
    Well Golly! Wrong #(2), Sure would like to SEE the outside of that Nut when you take it out,, Sorry Rick, good thing you checked with someone that has been there.........Bill

Spyder Garage

Well Golly! Wrong #(2), Sure would like to SEE the outside of that Nut when you take it out,, Sorry Rick, good thing you checked with someone that has been there.........Bill
    Well, #2 isn't so bad! I wasn't going to say "I told you so".....that wouldn't be nice.....
    I'm just glad that I got some kind of confirmation for that Funky Nut. Felt like I was hitting a brick wall looking for an answer.

Thanks again.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, #2 isn't so bad! I wasn't going to say "I told you so".....that wouldn't be nice.....
    I'm just glad that I got some kind of confirmation for that Funky Nut. Felt like I was hitting a brick wall looking for an answer.

Thanks again.
    I have changed out my rear spool at 10,000+ miles, but I did not go into removing bearings at that time, will look
    into that further on next change. Did you get the torque #lbs for that goofy nut? Surely can't be to high.
    Keep in Touch! Interested in your project...........Bill

Spyder Garage

I was thinking the same thing since I don't have a full history report on mine. Might as well check, and possibly change them out, while I'm changing out the tire. A little pre-Preventative Maintenance never hurts.
    ............ and according to Bob L , His Spyder was still drivable ..... It is wise to give an in-depth BEARING check every time you have the wheels off .....jmho ....I remeber way back in 11 & 12 etc. lots of folks were changing out their BEARINGS at every tire change ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have changed out my rear spool at 10,000+ miles, but I did not go into removing bearings at that time, will look
    into that further on next change. Did you get the torque #lbs for that goofy nut? Surely can't be to high.
    Keep in Touch! Interested in your project...........Bill
    Not yet. The search continues.

Although, the Lamonster Tech I spoke with earlier suggested I just ask the Tech changing out the tire, assuming it's a Spyder Tech of course.

I agree, after watching the youtube video, and how the Nut came off rather easily, it can't be Torqued too much. So hopefully I can get the specs when I have the new tire mounted. If not, I may just bite the bullet and let them do the bearing check / and replace if needed.

Maybe someone else would also know from previous bearing replacements. I'm finding it's a long shot, but worth a try.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Not yet. The search continues.

Although, the Lamonster Tech I spoke with earlier suggested I just ask the Tech changing out the tire, assuming it's a Spyder Tech of course.

I agree, after watching the youtube video, and how the Nut came off rather easily, it can't be Torqued too much. So hopefully I can get the specs when I have the new tire mounted. If not, I may just bite the bullet and let them do the bearing check / and replace if needed.

Maybe someone else would also know from previous bearing replacements. I'm finding it's a long shot, but worth a try.
    I do believe this is what you are looking for! I found it in the Drive System section of my 2014 RT Service Manual.

Rear wheel bearing retaining nut.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I do believe this is what you are looking for! I found it in the Drive System section of my 2014 RT Service Manual.

Thank you Idaho, That's pertinent information, 15ft #lbs, will try to etch that in my head for future reference.
    ............Bill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

Yes Sir, Thank you.....that is the culprit! Mystery solved.

Ironically, I was looking at 2014 Service Manuals online today, thinking YEP, I definitely need one. I love being a DIYer, when I can. My previous ride was a 2012 Honda 600 Silver Wing Trike, and I enjoyed tinkering with that as well. Only difference was.... I had a Service Manual.

Thank you once again....... you are the man!

p.s. Does it by chance state what tool is used for removing that Nut? Just curious if it does.
    Last edited by Briorick; 02-04-2022 at 09:27 PM.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I made a wrench for that nut the last time I had a wheel apart. I just used a piece of 1/4 plate steel - cut to fit into opposite grooves, welded to a piece of 1/2 square bar. The bar is maybe 8” long so a gentle snug won’t apply too much torque. Here’s a couple photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Spyder Garage

Ironically, I was looking at 2014 Service Manuals online today, thinking YEP, I definitely need one.
    p.s. Does it by chance state what tool is used for removing that Nut? Just curious if it does.
    The great feeling you get by being able to refer to a service manual is second only to that from the activity you enjoy with a woman! Go to www.canammanuals.com.

No tool is mentioned in the 2014 manual, but it is shown in the 2013 manual! This is just one example of many inconsistencies that exist in BRP's documentations, within a specific document and between successive years of documents.

The tool MSRP is $68.99 but you probably can't find one! I would try using a Channellock pliers. Just drop the jaws into the notches.

Rear wheel bearing retaining nut tool.jpg
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 02-04-2022 at 10:48 PM.

2014 Copper RTS