Thread: Rear Shock bolt

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Shock bolt

I developed a noise in the back end of the machine (2014 RT ) and what seemed like a harsher ride. I started to look it over and found the bottom shock bolt about to fall out. Three threads holding but 1/2 " backed out of hole. Bouncing around on the mount egg shaped the mount holes a bit but super tight seems to be holding. This shock had never been off the machine. Factory error ? Check it out...............

Spyder Garage

Have you had it in for service or do your own. My dealer checks all nuts and bolts they can get at. That's part of there service. If you do your own. You need to do that. These bikes vibrate. So thing's will loosen up.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Shock bolt

S
    Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Have you had it in for service or do your own. My dealer checks all nuts and bolts they can get at. That's part of there service. If you do your own. You need to do that. These bikes vibrate. So thing's will loosen up.
    It was in for service and that is why I now do my own, Half the things on the maintenance list were not done.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My '14 had the same problem. Just a month after buying it I was checking it out and found the bottom shock bolt nut only on by about 3 threads. Took it of by hand. Whoever put it together didn't tighten it. I finally replaced the bolt with a 10.9 hardness one and a nylock nut.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    My '14 had the same problem. Just a month after buying it I was checking it out and found the bottom shock bolt nut only on by about 3 threads. Took it of by hand. Whoever put it together didn't tighten it. I finally replaced the bolt with a 10.9 hardness one and a nylock nut.
    Best idea! Do it.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system