Spyder Garage

Default RT shuts off after shifting into 1st gear

I am posting this in both the General and RT forums as I need as many eyeballs on this as I can.

We have a 2011 RT Limited. The bike shuts off as soon as you shift into 1st gear. I had it towed to the stealership. First thing they did was replace the battery as it was not holding a charge. Same issue. Now they want to replace the starter solenoid values and the shifter lever which will be another $1100 and don't know if this is the problem. Its not throwing any codes and they want to replace these parts to continue their diagnostics. Basically they don't know what is causing the issue.

My concern is that since they don't know the problem they are shooting in the dark and I have no idea how much this will ultimately cost me. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this issue? This is a new dealership and I am somewhat inclined to have it towed to a more seasoned dealership to see if they can diagnosis the issue. Problem is there is the other dealership is and hour plus drive to get it there

I am desperate and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

Spyder Garage

First off the battery replacement would be at right time if was original battery. Not necessarily part of the problem, but weak battery could complicate trouble shooting. Unfotrtenualy troubleshooting is shots in dark just generalized directions the more complicated the machine your more likely to find combination problems not just one culprit.
    Best of luck to ya it may take some time but better to fix than lock up on road.

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope you'll get it running. Step by step is one way to find out what's wrong. Good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Could be something wrong with the clutch. It should roll even if the engine is off and in gear with the brake released. Give it a try, the SE5 clutch should be released at a stop.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

only and "hour plus" to get to a more seasoned dealership ? You poor thing you.
    Lots of us go two plus hours to get to ANY dealership. I think you should go with the
    elder statesmen before you plunk too much $$$$.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Could be something wrong with the clutch. It should roll even if the engine is off and in gear with the brake released. Give it a try, the SE5 clutch should be released at a stop.
    That it probably has to do with the engagement clutch that is used in the SE-5 transmission.
    Batteries and linkages?!? It sounds as if they're trying to lessen the payload on the bike, by lightening your wallet as much as possible!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black