Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test ride...

Spyder Garage

Default Test ride...

The wife and I test rode a 2016 RT Limited yesterday. The ride was excellent compared to our HD Freewheeler. Debating on to trade or not to trade. I've had HD's for years, and we are also looking at the new HD Tri-glide.
    Any one ever switch from their Tri to a Can Am ? If so any remarks as to likes or dis-likes between the two. The Can Am does seem to have a better ride comfort,

Thanks for any input or information.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Or at least a potential SpyderLover!
    While I haven't made the switch: I've got a friend with the Tri-Glide. This allows me the opportunity to "jump the fence" o couple of times each year, and compare the two rides.
    Harley really has the seating and the amenities well sorted-out. Even though the controls take much more forceful inputs; everything is in the right place, and they fall easily into hand.
    The Spyders have the handling that the Harleys can only dream about. His T-G really understeers like a dump truck with soft front tires, while my RT-L carves turns as if it were on rails.
    The Harley has real TORQUE... The 1330 is very good, but it's not THAT good.
    But the Spyder is much faster...
    The SE-6 transmission is the icing on top of what is a very large and tasty cake!

He'd switch: if he could afford to!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

Hate to be another that has not switched but has riden trikes, sidecars and reverse trikes. Not talking brands, image and loyalty the spyder does out handle them all. I am not the bells and whistle type just plain old kick and go. You should also test the F3 though short on storage it is a cruiser for the most part...good luck those that have switched will come along....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Traded in HD Trike yesterday

I also had my first test drive yesterday. We have HD Trike for 3 years and my husband rides a FatboyS he got this year......I loved and purchased a RT Limited SE , Very very easy to handle, love all the storage. No more dealing with clutch! Ended up trading in Trike towards purchase. The Trike was awesome.....enjoyed it, but them after test riding the Spider I knew it was time for a change.

Go go for the Spider, don't think you will regret it.

Spyder Garage

I demoed the tri-glide while I was in transition from two wheels to three. I really didn't care for the way it handled, and the price was ridiculous for what you get. The Spyder RT, by comparison, handles like a dream, and much less expensive.

You can't go wrong with the Spyder.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

I built a Harley trike for a friend a few years ago. When I rode it, it scared me to death. It was a good kit and a good bike I started with. I just could not trust the handling of the unit. I got my first Spyder and have never felt the discomfort of the trike. Now on second Spyder RT. Love them.

Spyder Garage

It really is an apples to oranges comparison. Add in a GW trike and then you have to add in cherries.

IMO--it boils down to personal feelings and how the ride, amenities, and prices fall into the picture.

Personally, I tried the HD product and it lost hands down to the . Think of it though, you are on a Spyderlovers site. Our opinions may be just a tad biased.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

True, on a Spyder forum your going to get some one sided opinions. So far, they seem to be pretty fair and not so one sided. I've also posted up on the Trike Talk Forum. Getting some of the same type of results. Have got a couple of answers from gentlemen that have switched from HD to Can Am, and they are positive posts about their switch.

Spyder Garage

I had a HD ( 2 wheeled) back in 2012 traded it for a 2012RTS-SE5, the spyder is stable, and it had a lot of the safety features ( ABS, traction control, VSS, reverse, etc. 998 engine etc.) then I upgraded to my current spyder ( 2014RTS-SE6).

You will like the new 1330 triple in-line engine, low maintance, more power even if you are riding 2 up, 6 speed transmission, ABS, Traction Control, Stability control, Semi automatic, Power steering, reverse, cruise control, higher torque, smoother ride, less fill-ups, etc.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My brother has a Tri-Glide. He mentioned just the other day that on wet roads particularly, in turns the solid rear axle likes to push the trike straight ahead and the front tire "hops" making steering difficult. He's a short guy and the stock handlebars were too far forward for him. He had to lean forward and twist his body going around corners. There is, as I understand, only one other handlebar option which he said helped a lot. On the Spyder you can get the Tri-axis adjustable handlebar that you can adjust forward and back, and up and down, through quite a range.

So far he has declined to take my Spyder for a ride! I think he may be afraid he'd have to swallow his pride about his H-D and admit something else is better! He's a stubborn Finn! He considered a used 2010 RT 3 years ago but got scared off by what he read about reliability and gas mileage. Had the 1330s been out it might have been a different story!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by First Timer View Post
    The wife and I test rode a 2016 RT Limited yesterday. The ride was excellent compared to our HD Freewheeler. Debating on to trade or not to trade. I've had HD's for years, and we are also looking at the new HD Tri-glide.
    Any one ever switch from their Tri to a Can Am ? If so any remarks as to likes or dis-likes between the two. The Can Am does seem to have a better ride comfort,

Hi: Victor Clement from Mich. I just made the switch from 2015 Harley Freewheeler to A 2015 Spyder RT special edition. No regret here the Spyder is much more comfortable. I upgraded to the fox shocks and had lazer alignment done.
    i did not like the heat and getting beaten up by the wind on the Freewheeler.

Spyder Garage

Well I guess I'm going to join the Spyder ranks. Just sold my Free over the weekend. I've located a 2016 RT Limited demo with 700 miles on it, plus the dealer is discounting $4800 off his price. Seemed to be the best deal I could find right now on a Spyder, so I'm a happy camper. Going to pick it up on either Wed or Thur this week.

Thanks to everyone's input,
    Emil.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now: the fun can REALLY get started!!

biker.jpg

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well I guess I'm going to join the Spyder ranks. Just sold my Free over the weekend. I've located a 2016 RT Limited demo with 700 miles on it, plus the dealer is discounting $4800 off his price. Seemed to be the best deal I could find right now on a Spyder, so I'm a happy camper. Going to pick it up on either Wed or Thur this week.

Thanks to everyone's input,
    Emil.
    Those test rides will do it every time!
    Congrats and enjoy your new Spyder!

Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

DSC_0001.jpg

Here she is, in her new home!!

Spyder Garage

Beautiful. My favorite color. Now the fun starts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I LOVE that color!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well So far how do you like it compared to the free wheeler??

Welcome

I been reading and hearing more and more Harley Riders jumping to the SPYDER

Spyder Garage

The wife and I took a short ride last night. I won't go back to a Harley. There is no comparison to the ride difference from the Harley to the Spyder. Spyder has it hands down !! I have 3 HD trike friends and 2 GW friends that have made the switch before me. I think now that the Spyder has the 1330 engine and 6 speed transmission that you may see more and more people switch from their more traditional rides in the future. Just my thoughts.

Planning on a longer ride this weekend if the weather holds out, possibility of rain coming.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that the "Smiles have drowned out any regrets."
    Do you have some really decent raingear?
    Take the bike for a ride in the rain: you might be surprised at how well it shovels the wetness out of your way!

Spyder Garage

You made the right decision. Ryde on in style, comfort, and confidence.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The wife and I took a short ride last night. I won't go back to a Harley. There is no comparison to the ride difference from the Harley to the Spyder. Spyder has it hands down !! I have 3 HD trike friends and 2 GW friends that have made the switch before me. I think now that the Spyder has the 1330 engine and 6 speed transmission that you may see more and more people switch from their more traditional rides in the future. Just my thoughts.

Planning on a longer ride this weekend if the weather holds out, possibility of rain coming.
    Great I felt the same way when I jumped to the Spyder from the TRIGLIDE. We plan on a trip on the SPyder soon should be a blast..

I hear ya the rain..Glad I didn't ride in last weeks monsoon

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Suziespyder View Post
    I also had my first test drive yesterday. We have HD Trike for 3 years and my husband rides a FatboyS he got this year......I loved and purchased a RT Limited SE , Very very easy to handle, love all the storage. No more dealing with clutch! Ended up trading in Trike towards purchase. The Trike was awesome.....enjoyed it, but them after test riding the Spider I knew it was time for a change.

Go go for the Spider, don't think you will regret it.
    Nice to hear but remember this ryde is all about the "Y"! You purchased a SPYDER! The spider is spinning a web in your garage right now!!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wow

DSC_0001.jpg

Here she is, in her new home!!
    SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I think one thing to consider is the servicing reputation of the dealership network. I have had three can ams and the dealer service in my area is horrendous. if you have a problem with a can am you can have a problem getting it repaired. my can am has been in the shop twice this year for a total of about a month. it seems they have a problem diagnosing the problem and then waiting for parts. mine is a 2014 with 7500 miles. very disgusting. I am on the verge of trading for a Harley trike. much better dealer network. thanks for letting me vent.