Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clanking Sound

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    Trust me I'm about as "Chilled as one can be". I was only trying to be helpful but it sounds like "You Got This".

Edit: My ride runs yours doesn't. I'll sit back and see how this turns out.
    Thank you, but maybe I have a second Spyder, lol
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
    Thank you, but maybe I have a second Spyder, lol
    I think you have it covered if you have a spare. I was going to say that since you live in the DC area maybe it would expedite the situation if you did like the lobbyists do and put some dead Presidents in an envelop and handed it to the service manager. OK I'll stop now. Hope you get your toy fixed in a reasonable time and get some seat time.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well I received today a called from the dealer about my bike not working. The pulley must be replaced, there are "no teeth" left on it. The warranty will take care of it. First of all, I complained to the dealer at least 3 times that I hears a wobbling sound when driving between 10-20 mph's. The dealer continues to tell me before that the belt is tight by BRP specifications. I am not sure if the belt was not adjusted appropriately before. This pissed me off because, if the dealer listen to the customer, and that was the problem that the belt was not adjusted correctly, I could had avoid this kind of repairs. The dealer did tell me that the blame was on the wobbling sound. Can anyone please educate me about this "pulley and no teeth" issue. Anything else I should had done. Also when the bike was laser aligned previously, could that make something wrong with the pulley? Thank you.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Here is the exploded view of the front pulley assembly.

front pulley.jpg

Item 47 is your front pulley. In the center of it are splines. What your dealer called teeth. They mate with matching splines on the gearbox output shaft. So when the shaft turns the pulley turns with it. Item 6 is the bolt that holds the pulley on and keeps it tight. What likely happened is the bolt has come loose. This allows the pulley to move on the splines and that causes wear to the splines. So at a minimum you need a new pulley. But likely a new pulley and shaft.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
    Well I received today a called from the dealer about my bike not working. The pulley must be replaced, there are "no teeth" left on it. The warranty will take care of it. First of all, I complained to the dealer at least 3 times that I hears a wobbling sound when driving between 10-20 mph's. The dealer continues to tell me before that the belt is tight by BRP specifications. I am not sure if the belt was not adjusted appropriately before. This pissed me off because, if the dealer listen to the customer, and that was the problem that the belt was not adjusted correctly, I could had avoid this kind of repairs. The dealer did tell me that the blame was on the wobbling sound. Can anyone please educate me about this "pulley and no teeth" issue. Anything else I should had done. Also when the bike was laser aligned previously, could that make something wrong with the pulley? Thank you.
    Apologies in advance for being long winded. And if it's all the same, I'm going to call that a sprocket because that's what it's called in the BRP parts system. The rear one is called a pulley - go figure - but it looks like we're talking about the front one.

I think I've read someplace that the sprocket is made of a softer metal than the shaft so there is usually no damage to it. Agreed that it was probably the bolt loosening and not related to belt tension. Interestingly, this is the second sprocket issue we've heard of in so many weeks. The bolt comes with thread locker on it so this is a little irritating to me why they loosen up like this. I did see some pictures from back in the day where the sprocket's belt teeth had worn also. So, I really think you owe it to yourself to sit down with the service guys and look at the bad sprocket to discuss what was wrong and what the root cause was.

The good news is that, if this is the only problem, that they are not going to tear apart your transmission and you should get the thing back in much less than 2 months. The bad news is that it sounds like you've lost complete faith in this dealer. Can't blame you. Troubleshooting this shouldn't have caused this much drama, and been so hard between them and BRP. So, once you get your machine back all safe and sound, maybe never go back there again.

And unless there's more to the story, your laser alignment had nothing to do with anything. That simply aligns the front wheels for better handling and does nothing for belt alignment or tension - unless your dealer performed a belt service along with the alignment. But that's a separate function and not part of the alignment process.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-27-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238