Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel vapors! Still....

After a second visit to the dealer, (where they kept the bike for more than 2 weeks twice) and a "software update" boiling fuel is still a major problem. I have a 2013 RTS purchased new last year. (No miles) It is stock and under full factory warranty. For me this is a bit more dicey because BRP claims the recall has fixed the issue. For all or most of you here, you removed the cat, wrapped pipes, installed heat reflective material, etc. If I do that BRP will do nothing for me, and void the warranty. They have told me so. Because it is not a BRP approved fix! I am calling BRP tomorrow and demanding nothing less than a replacement bike. Period. I love the concept of this bike. But, for the money, it is a poorly executed piece of crap!! How can a machine like this, after R&D leave a factory? I have two choices. Call BRP and see where it gets me. If they fix or replace it. Great! If not. I just fix it myself and lose the remainder of my warranty, on a very questionable bike. Not happy at all.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclerider View Post
    After a second visit to the dealer, (where they kept the bike for more than 2 weeks twice) and a "software update" boiling fuel is still a major problem. I have a 2013 RTS purchased new last year. (No miles) It is stock and under full factory warranty. For me this is a bit more dicey because BRP claims the recall has fixed the issue. For all or most of you here, you removed the cat, wrapped pipes, installed heat reflective material, etc. If I do that BRP will do nothing for me, and void the warranty. They have told me so. Because it is not a BRP approved fix! I am calling BRP tomorrow and demanding nothing less than a replacement bike. Period. I love the concept of this bike. But, for the money, it is a poorly executed piece of crap!! How can a machine like this, after R&D leave a factory? I have two choices. Call BRP and see where it gets me. If they fix or replace it. Great! If not. I just fix it myself and lose the remainder of my warranty, on a very questionable bike. Not happy at all.....
    Seems odd. Most people from what I have read are happy with the fix. Maybe it is something else.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If BRP claims that the issue has been solved: what does your dealer say? Can you get the bike to show the existence of the problem to them?
    If they can see the fuel boiling, and smell the vapors: they can go to bat for you with BRP...
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-17-2016 at 09:08 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Vapors

I had all the nasty fuel problems with mine pre-recall. I had no confidence in the dealer where I bought it so I had another dealer do the recall work. I did nothing to try to fix the problem on my own, my machine is totally stock in that respect. Since the work was done by a very good dealer all the problems are gone. There have been horror stories of halfassed recall repairs on these machines. Sorry to say you might be in that group. If you can get it done right you will be a happy camper. GOOD LUCK.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Agree with the above. Some 2013 owners on here have reported that their dealer did not perform the entire recall. IIRC, it was related to the fuel system part of the modification. In other words, the recall work was much more than the scoops.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Some of the 2013 RT owners had the recall done and the dealer put on the scoops but didn't remove the acoustical panels to let the cool air in. You could check that easy enough.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear....

But does sound like you need new eyes on the spyder. You may need a evap canister change or other fuel related change. You could run it by another dealer /shop and see if they did do what they were supposed to do. Hope you can find the people to get it done. Did you open a case with BRP..?? and adding pipe wrap and heat shields will not void your warranty...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    I had all the nasty fuel problems with mine pre-recall. I had no confidence in the dealer where I bought it so I had another dealer do the recall work. I did nothing to try to fix the problem on my own, my machine is totally stock in that respect. Since the work was done by a very good dealer all the problems are gone. There have been horror stories of halfassed recall repairs on these machines. Sorry to say you might be in that group. If you can get it done right you will be a happy camper. GOOD LUCK.

I don't have much confidence in the dealer I took it to. So I will call BRP and then set up an appointment with a different dealer. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    But does sound like you need new eyes on the spyder. You may need a evap canister change or other fuel related change. You could run it by another dealer /shop and see if they did do what they were supposed to do. Hope you can find the people to get it done. Did you open a case with BRP..?? and adding pipe wrap and heat shields will not void your warranty...
    . I am thinking maybe the dealer did not properly re do the fuel system. When I talked to BRP they specifically told me that heat shields and pipe wrap is not an approved BRP solution. Although I agree with you that this should not void the warranty. Yes, new eyes is what I need. I am taking it to a different dealer.

Spyder Garage

Vapor smell is one thing. But I would say that most, if not all, Spyders experience boiling fuel.

It's not just Spyders. It's most gasoline fueled vehicles. Especially motorcycles, etc., where the tank gets heat from the engine. Gasoline does not have to get that hot to boil. It is much more common than people realize. That's because you usually can't see the fuel. But the vapor recovery system is designed to siphon off the fumes (which occur whether the fuel boils or not) and burn them.

Since many, if not most, have been very happy with the BRP fix. I'd say something has not been done correctly (or at all). Hope you can get it fixed right.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Gasoline can boil at as low as 104F. It depends on the grade and what additives are in it. Boiling gas happens a lot on motorcycles.

If the fuel vapors bother you, do what I do - fill the tank right before you get home. I have a gas station a half mile from the house. A couple gallons of cold gas does wonders at cooling the tank and doing away with fumes.

If you don't have a gas station near you, keep a 5 gallon gas container in the garage and use it to top off the tank when you get home - no more fumes.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Hate to say it but: how can you prove all the warranty work was was done ? You may need to visit other dealers & get them to look at more than a computer file of your vin number

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Vapor smell is one thing. But I would say that most, if not all, Spyders experience boiling fuel.

It's not just Spyders. It's most gasoline fueled vehicles. Especially motorcycles, etc., where the tank gets heat from the engine. Gasoline does not have to get that hot to boil. It is much more common than people realize. That's because you usually can't see the fuel. But the vapor recovery system is designed to siphon off the fumes (which occur whether the fuel boils or not) and burn them.

Since many, if not most, have been very happy with the BRP fix. I'd say something has not been done correctly (or at all). Hope you can get it fixed right.
    I am still seeing the fuel vapor pour profusely out of the charcoal canister!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McNally View Post
    Gasoline can boil at as low as 104F. It depends on the grade and what additives are in it. Boiling gas happens a lot on motorcycles.

If the fuel vapors bother you, do what I do - fill the tank right before you get home. I have a gas station a half mile from the house. A couple gallons of cold gas does wonders at cooling the tank and doing away with fumes.

If you don't have a gas station near you, keep a 5 gallon gas container in the garage and use it to top off the tank when you get home - no more fumes.
    I do realize that cool fuel will bring the temp. Down. BUT! If I am spending this much of my hard earned money. I should never have to do that.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am still seeing the fuel vapor pour profusely out of the charcoal canister!!!!
    Yeah, your canister is probably toast by now, too. If you're also seeing a lot of liquid coming out that hose - before somebody comes on here and tells you not to overfill the gas tank - that's not it. The gas in the tank is being force evaporated with all the heat. Fuel vapors are just like water vapors in that once they cool down below their boiling point, they condense. So if you're seeing condensate coming out the hose, it's a pretty good probability that the canister is already soaked. And besides just the smell, it's flammable, too. It would be wise to get to another dealer.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I believe you can download the recall and everything that should have been done to correct the problem. check to see if everything was done and if not bring it to the attention of BRP and the dealer.

2015 RT Limited Black Matallic
    BAJARon Sway Bar w/Billet Aluminum Heim Joint Link Set
    SPYDERPOPS Bumperskid with LED's
    SPYDERPOPS RT BRT Rear Lighting Kit
    US LED Flag

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Yeah, your canister is probably toast by now, too. If you're also seeing a lot of liquid coming out that hose - before somebody comes on here and tells you not to overfill the gas tank - that's not it. The gas in the tank is being force evaporated with all the heat. Fuel vapors are just like water vapors in that once they cool down below their boiling point, they condense. So if you're seeing condensate coming out the hose, it's a pretty good probability that the canister is already soaked. And besides just the smell, it's flammable, too. It would be wise to get to another dealer.
    I am not seeing the condensate like I was before the work was done. I am in the process of (waiting for a call back from BRP) having it sorted out with BRP. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Hate to say it but: how can you prove all the warranty work was was done ? You may need to visit other dealers & get them to look at more than a computer file of your vin number

I have spoken with BRP and this is probably what they are going to tell me. Go to another dealer. This will be the last dealer visit for this boiling fuel issue. I am going to speak with the service manager only on this and demand they go through the recall work with a fine tooth comb. Also, it will be a different dealer. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I have spoken with BRP and this is probably what they are going to tell me. Go to another dealer. This will be the last dealer visit for this boiling fuel issue. I am going to speak with the service manager only on this and demand they go through the recall work with a fine tooth comb. Also, it will be a different dealer. Thanks!
    I am sorry to say that your fuel is probably going to boil regardless of what you do. You may be able to reduce the severity and frequency. But you're most likely never going to eliminate it.

It's not a boiling fuel issue, per-say. The fuel in my Spyder boils at times. And so it is with probably every other Spyder, and most, if not all motorcycles. I understand that people are horrified by the idea. But only because they have no idea how common it is. Yet escaping vapors are not a problem on most Spyders, even so.

You should have no vapors escaping whether or not the fuel is boiling. But fuel vapors will be generated in the fuel tank whether or not the fuel is boiling. Concentrate on controlling the vapors and you will find your solution. Insulating the fuel tank from exhaust and engine heat will help. But it will not completely resolve the problem.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-19-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

I do realize that cool fuel will bring the temp. Down. BUT! If I am spending this much of my hard earned money. I should never have to do that.
    Then don't. I was simply trying to help with an easy, cheap solution.

Personally, I'd rather not have a garage fuel of fuel vapors - and if that means adding some gas to my tank, so be it. It is simple to do and my garage doesn't stink of gas fumes.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I am sorry to say that your fuel is probably going to boil regardless of what you do. You may be able to reduce the severity and frequency. But you're most likely never going to eliminate it.

It's not a boiling fuel issue, per-say. The fuel in my Spyder boils at times. And so it is with probably every other Spyder, and most, if not all motorcycles. I understand that people are horrified by the idea. But only because they have no idea how common it is. Yet escaping vapors are not a problem on most Spyders, even so.

You should have no vapors escaping whether or not the fuel is boiling. But fuel vapors will be generated in the fuel tank whether or not the fuel is boiling. Concentrate on controlling the vapors and you will find your solution. Insulating the fuel tank from exhaust and engine heat will help. But it will not completely resolve the problem.

Thanks for the input. But this is not exactly my first rodeo! I have owned many bikes over many years, and have NEVER experienced fuel vapor like this. Other than maybe riding a friends Buell. But it was not as bad. Well... If this is what it is, then I will just reduce it as much as possible. One last time at the new dealer and I will just do what I can after that. Are you saying even the newer RT Spyders boil the fuel on occasion?

I just spoke with BRP and they opened and closed my case in 2 days. They told me they left a message on my phone advising me to go to another dealer. LIES! Never got a message.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McNally View Post
    Then don't. I was simply trying to help with an easy, cheap solution.

Personally, I'd rather not have a garage fuel of fuel vapors - and if that means adding some gas to my tank, so be it. It is simple to do and my garage doesn't stink of gas fumes.

Nothing personal. I appreciate any advice I can get. But what about situations like stopping in any parking lot and someone decides to flick a cigarette butt under the Spyder, while the bike is pouring fuel vapor out? I am just so taken back that a machine with this price tag is not better engineered. Thanks for all the input from everyone. I have some mods to do and some decisions to make.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. But this is not exactly my first rodeo! I have owned many bikes over many years, and have NEVER experienced fuel vapor like this. Other than maybe riding a friends Buell. But it was not as bad. Well... If this is what it is, then I will just reduce it as much as possible. One last time at the new dealer and I will just do what I can after that. Are you saying even the newer RT Spyders boil the fuel on occasion?

I just spoke with BRP and they opened and closed my case in 2 days. They told me they left a message on my phone advising me to go to another dealer. LIES! Never got a message.
    I do sympathize with your plight and I may agree to at least some of the points you are making. Everyone has a different approach.

Here is what I did.

Removed the vapor canister. Rerouted the vent hose from the tank. Blocked off the PVC hose. Zero negative effects and very inexpensive.

Removed the 'Spash Panels' from the bottom of my Spyder. Makes maintenance easier, engine compartment is much cooler, less heat on the fuel tank and less heat comes up around the front of the seat.

Wrapped both exhaust pipes with hi-temp exhaust tape from the front to as far back as I could go.

Put additional aluminum faced insulation around the front/bottom and front sides of the fuel tank.

I've had no fume issues since doing these mods.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat Issues

I also had a 2013 RTS SE5 with "many" "many" issues. Boiling gas was one. My advice, keep a log of where, when, how long at a Dealer and the problem and "make" sure you get a work order every time you take it in. Don't worry about the cigarette butt at a gas station, could end up being your best friend.
    I now have a 2014 RTS SE6, NO HEAT ISSUES!!!!!!!!
    With the number of post on here about the 2013 models, I tell everyone who ask me about my spyder, that if they decide to purchase a spyder that I recommend a 2014 or newer. I know there are several 2013's and older models out there with no problems, but after having a 2014, there just isn't and older model that can come close to the newer 1330 engine.
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by spydercamp13; 07-21-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for the advice, support and input! I believe I may have seen a YouTube video of the canister removal. I will be going to a different dealer to make sure everything was done properly, as far as the recall work is concerned. Then I will remove the cat, wrap the header pipes, remove the canister and apply heat reflective material. Thanks again!