Spyder Garage

Default Tri-Axis Install

With much thanks to Finless Bob for his install videos, I decided to take the plunge and install the Tri_axis handlebars on my 15 RTL. It is a ton of work, but nothing that can't be done with basic hand tools. One major deviation from Bob's and Can Am's instructions, is that the entire front center section and center console section do NOT need to be removed. This saved a boatload of work and probably a few hours. The center console section, with all the wiring attached can simply be slid back under the seat out of the way. This is under the yellow rags in my photos. If you do this, do not let the seat come down on the console. The front section with the dashboard can be lifted and set forward a few inches without having to disconnect any wiring. This was very stable where it is in my photos and survived all the torquing and tugging without moving at all. I never felt like it would fall. As far as Can Am's instructions go, they leave a lot to be desired. Specifically the fact that you will never get the main pivot bolt in the new handlebars using the specified rubber hammer. More like a 3 lb. sledge and a brass drift. Also, they provide a template and instructions to make a cut in the center handlebar cover for the GPS cable to go through. After much hair pulling, I determined that what they meant was to cut a small notch in the rubber boot, not the fixed cover.

handlebar removal.jpgBase plate installed.jpgTri-Axis installed.jpgTri-Axis finished.jpg
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wasn't impressed with the instructions that came with the Tri Axis Bars when I installed mine..

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if you can do it this way on a 2012 RTL?

Spyder Garage

Good job! I know when I did mine I did it the hardest way possible by removing the dash and windshield assembly piece by piece. Then when I went to help Jim with his he showed me how to remove the complete dash assembly by only removing a few screws and two pop rivets and disconnect a few wire connectors.
    I agree the instructions should be a lot better, but then the dealers couldn't charge as much to do it.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I did mine this last weekend. Put the dash on the frunk. Do not need to remove front trunk. Took about 6 hrs including looking at the video. I could do another in less than 4 hrs now that I've done it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JP58; 08-15-2016 at 09:55 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Good job guys!
    Glad my video is helping you all DIY it.....
    Saves a lot of money plus you get to know your ride a lot better

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Nice Job

Thanks for the photos and great job on installing your Tri-Axis handlebar.....I really like that you show the towels around the work area - I did the same - don't want to drop anything down there! Bob "cyclelover63", I'm sure what "finless" Bob video shows will work for your 2012 since his is a 2011 RT...good luck all who tackle this install - it takes awhile, but is not too difficult. IF you get stuck, just reach out to us on the forum and we certainly will jump in to help! There are a few things to know that the instructions don't tell you!

The Tri-Axis handlebar has totally eliminated my neck and upper back pain when riding - well worth the investment if you need the bars closer!

Here's a recap of my install (with Les's help) dated 6-14-14.....enjoy!

If you plan on doing this yourself, plan for a day of fun!

I had assistance from a fellow Spyderlover, Les (PW2013STL), who helped greatly as he had previously installed on his 2014 RT.

Long story short - very long process, not really complex, but instructions were lacking. You basically had to remove the front panels, console module, etc. NOT the frunk. Removing the console module is a key point when doing this project! Yes, you need to buy a new GPS bracket to mount the factory GPS to the Tri Axis base.

It took 2 of us about 5 hours to install -- maybe it took twice as long since we both worked on it!!

Here's a few pics for your enjoyment! Turned out great! And....a big "thank you" to Les for his help!

Attached Thumbnails
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 08-16-2016 at 01:09 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Good job guys!
    Glad my video is helping you all DIY it.....
    Saves a lot of money plus you get to know your ride a lot better

Bob
    Being a guy who is into improving performance, exactly why do I need to replace the handlebars with the Triaxis handlebars. I noted that someone said it helped lessen back and neck pain but that's not a problem for me anyway. So why would I want to change the system?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    Being a guy who is into improving performance, exactly why do I need to replace the handlebars with the Triaxis handlebars. I noted that someone said it helped lessen back and neck pain but that's not a problem for me anyway. So why would I want to change the system?
    You don't if you are quite comfortable with the stock handlebars. Some of us have arms, shoulders, and torsos that just don't sit comfortably on the seat holding onto the stock bars.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post

For me it was due to some wrist discomfort on long rides. By bringing the bars back towards me some, it lets my wrists be aligned better. After riding for a while with the tri-axis bars, I've also found that I like them lower than stock. One of the dealers near me has an F3 with the demo system of handlebars that lets you put dummy handles in many different positions so you can find the shape that's right for you and order that handlebar. I figured the tri-axis would do that on my RTL.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

When I bought my RTL, the dealer threw in a coupon for a one-time purchase of an accessory at dealer cost. I'm thinking of using it for the tri-axis handlebars, but I have a question.
    I'm 5'6", and I lean forward into the stock bar. How much posture correction can I expect from the tri-axis? Right now my wrists are not in a neutral position, and I'm fighting a certain itchy fungal infection that athletes and motorcycle riders get (that I wasn't told about). It would be nice to get some fresh, dry air in there, and straightening up would do that for me.
    I tried to avoid getting too personal, there; I hope nobody gets offended.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Spyder Garage

Stumpy6guns,

I am only 2" taller and I have short arms so we may not be too far off in our riding position. I never did measure the range, but I do not have my bars all the way back. I beleive you will find that these will work for you.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    When I bought my RTL, the dealer threw in a coupon for a one-time purchase of an accessory at dealer cost. I'm thinking of using it for the tri-axis handlebars, but I have a question.
    I'm 5'6", and I lean forward into the stock bar. How much posture correction can I expect from the tri-axis? Right now my wrists are not in a neutral position, and I'm fighting a certain itchy fungal infection that athletes and motorcycle riders get (that I wasn't told about). It would be nice to get some fresh, dry air in there, and straightening up would do that for me.
    I tried to avoid getting too personal, there; I hope nobody gets offended.
    Unless you possibly are considering a CB, which has a greater MSRP, I say you won't wrong using it to buy the Tri-Axis. I'm 5'8" and have the Tri-Axis and Comfort seat. You stand a much better chance of buying the CB or seat used on here or eBay than you will the Tri-Axis.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)