Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rats!

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Rats!

My new RTL has become a pack rat hotel. Mechanic found a nest of pine needles in the compartment behind the frunk.

I thought I smelled it the other day when I pulled out of the driveway. Has anyone had success keeping the nasty little buggers out of parked vehicles?
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine is garaged. When I store it for the Winter, I cover the end of the exhaust with tinfoil, and stuff the lower body panels with dryer sheets.
    I also don't cover it, since critters like dark, quiet places, and the cover only encourages them to get comfy.

If you parked it over a ground tarp, and could fold/tie it up around the sides of the bike: that might help!

Although that might catch a lot of rainwater!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-15-2016 at 05:51 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sticky rat traps! Put a dab of peanut butter on them. Works like a champ. Don't be in too big of a hurry to remove the first one. Others will come by to eat on it when it expires. Have caught up to four this way.

If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Moth balls in a small container with holes punched into it. Also can be place under decks and porches - will also keep out snakes, opossums, armadillas, groundhogs, nutrias... oh, also moths.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    My new RTL has become a pack rat hotel. Mechanic found a nest of pine needles in the compartment behind the frunk.

I thought I smelled it the other day when I pulled out of the driveway. Has anyone had success keeping the nasty little buggers out of parked vehicles?
    Yep set good old wooden rat traps baited with peanut butter... they can't resist. Place the traps next to a wall or other object they might follow. If you have a wary one add some glitter...

JT

Spyder Garage

Default This oughta do it!

I just ordered The Ratinator Live Rat Trap from Amazon. I have the Squirrelinator trap, and it works great. It comes with a plastic container that you fill with water and set the successful trap into in order to humanely dispatch the squatters.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Conaso;1156943]Moth balls in a small container with holes punched into it. Also can be place under decks and porches - will also keep out snakes, opossums, armadillas, groundhogs, nutrias... oh, also moths.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know... But I think that you'll need a whole lot of them, to dissuade this guy!

1905700_orig.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just ordered The Ratinator Live Rat Trap from Amazon. I have the Squirrelinator trap, and it works great. It comes with a plastic container that you fill with water and set the successful trap into in order to humanely dispatch the squatters.
    I'd never heard of either trap, so I looked up the Squirrelinator to see if I was correctly understanding it's actually designed to drown its prey. And it is. WOW, drowning is NOT humane. A shot in the head is humane, but I guess that'd be pretty hard while they're charging around in there. Could someone electrocute the critters with this trap in, say, an inch of water?

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

I've always used a .22 pellet rifle to dispatch them once they are in the trap, and I hate it. I ran over the tray, so I can't drown them! I don't like killing any animal for meat or sport, but vermin have to go. I'm not vegetarian, in case you were wondering.
    Between the two methods, shooting takes much longer, it's messier, and a misplaced shot causes needless suffering.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

Spyder Garage

Default This works

We found this when we had our camper.
    A couple years ago the wife opened the Spyder shed and screamed as a family of mice ran in different directions. I put one at each side of the machine and mice moved out of shed.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...epellant-10-oz
    Traded 2013 rt s se5 for pearl white 2015 RTS se6 .
    Gloryder hubs
    622 trailer
    bumpskid
    Wife and I have been a couple since 1980
    32 years of wedded bliss

Spyder Garage

Minor correction: moth balls don't do squat to dissuade armadillos. I know this from experience.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've always used a .22 pellet rifle to dispatch them once they are in the trap, and I hate it. I ran over the tray, so I can't drown them! I don't like killing any animal for meat or sport, but vermin have to go. I'm not vegetarian, in case you were wondering.
    Between the two methods, shooting takes much longer, it's messier, and a misplaced shot causes needless suffering.
    Yes, I certainly can picture the difficulty in shooting them while they're running around in what's apparently a pretty large area. Thus, you're right about that method being inhumane. I regularly catch larger varmints in regular live traps that allow me to use my rifle to get a clean head shot (only because they kill our hens, carry EPM which can kill our horses, and they destroy my veggie gardens from which I preserve our winter fare). But, gosh, drowning ..... anyone who's stuck around to watch even a mouse drown knows it's an awful way to go, hence I wondered about electrocution.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WellsboroSpyder View Post
    We found this when we had our camper.
    A couple years ago the wife opened the Spyder shed and screamed as a family of mice ran in different directions. I put one at each side of the machine and mice moved out of shed.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...epellant-10-oz
    But where did they move to
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Humane way?

When I looked into getting rid of ground squirrels I was told it was illegal to drown them. The only way to kill them is to leave them trapped in the cage out in the hot sun to die.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

well if you are really concerned about being humane then the good old regular spring type mouse trap is your best bet. Once that spring loaded bar trips they're dead. No squeek, no move, nothing.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Rat and mouse deterrent

I have found that a few cotton balls with drops of Spearmint oil on them and tied behind the tupperware will deter rats and mice from building homes.

Regards, Rob

Spyder Garage

Default away

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    But where did they move to
    back to the feilds? Neighbor's house?as long as there not in my shed.
    Traded 2013 rt s se5 for pearl white 2015 RTS se6 .
    Gloryder hubs
    622 trailer
    bumpskid
    Wife and I have been a couple since 1980
    32 years of wedded bliss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Deacon poison. I once lived in an attic apartment, and had mice would come from behind the walls at night; one ran right across the foot of my bed just before I fell asleep. Creepy. I put Deacon down and the last I saw of that guy was when he came to the middle of the living room one afternoon, keeled over and died in front of me. I think he did it for dramatic effect.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

had nest in my F3S, put out electronic traps, electrocuted 5, I have not seen any recently, traps still out (with peanut butter of course)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Had opossum locked in my garage while I was on vacation for three weeks, died behind the freezer. Only could smell him when the fan was running. Took me awhile to locate the bugger. Cleanup was a mess.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default MOTH BALLS KILL ALL BUGS IN A CLOSED SPACE. AND REPEL RODENTS, TOO.

Quote Originally Posted by Conaso View Post
    Moth balls in a small container with holes punched into it. Also can be place under decks and porches - will also keep out snakes, opossums, armadillas, groundhogs, nutrias... oh, also moths.
    I PUT MOTH BALLS IN PLASTIC "BUTTER CUPS" UNDER MY SPYDER, AND IN THE 4 CORNERS OF THE GARAGE. NO MORE MICE, AND NO MORE FLIES, ANTS, CRICKETS, ETC! THE STUFF IS MAGIC!
    CapNCrunch : =)

Spyder Garage

Mice can do a great deal of damage. I've worked on more that a few lawn tractors that had mouse condos built in the cooling duct work. They love to eat wires. Here is a pic of one that was so bad it was jammed up tight. If you have found nice in your ride I suggest that you remove the body panels and inspect for damage.

engine 3.JPG

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mice like to chew on ignition wires. One time my car was running rough so I opened the hood and sparks were flying about. Critters had chewed through the insulation and the plug wires were arcing. I would check under the spyder panels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    Mice can do a great deal of damage. I've worked on more that a few lawn tractors that had mouse condos built in the cooling duct work. They love to eat wires. Here is a pic of one that was so bad it was jammed up tight. If you have found nice in your ride I suggest that you remove the body panels and inspect for damage.

engine 3.JPG
    We lost the engine in our Ariens lawn tractor, after the little s plugged up all of the ductwork, and things cooked solid!

(That was a GREAT tractor: a 1983 HT-16 ) 32ears of faithful service.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Mice like to chew on ignition wires. One time my car was running rough so I opened the hood and sparks were flying about. Critters had chewed through the insulation and the plug wires were arcing. I would check under the spyder panels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    We lost the engine in our Ariens lawn tractor, after the little s plugged up all of the ductwork, and things cooked solid!

(That was a GREAT tractor: a 1983 HT-16 ) 32ears of faithful service.
    My other hobby is restoring old tractors. Even if you don't have these nasty critters in your Spyder if you have a lawn mower they love to get inside and as Bob mentioned they plug the blower housing and cooling fins, you start it and before you know it they over heat. Very common. I've fixed 3 this year alone (not my machines) dryer sheets work well. Cats work better.