Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RT GAUGES GONE

Spyder Garage

Default RT GAUGES GONE

RT Dashboard.jpg

Well, I finally got tired of the wildly inaccurate analog gas gauge, and figured that if I was going to disable it I would do the same with the temp gauge. To my surprise and annoyance, the gas gauge "remembered" what the fuel level was, and the needle stayed in that same position as before it was disabled. I kept looking at it and thinking, "I'm gonna have to get gas soon". Then I would remember that it was disabled, look at my mileage, and the bar graph on the center screen for the actual fuel level. So I decided to take them out. I went to a local boat dealer and had them order two 2" Euro Blanks (that's what the manufacturer calls them) made by Faria Marine Instruments. Took out the gauges, and put in the blanks with a small bead of black silicone around the bezel to keep water out. So here is the finished product at a cost of $35.00 and 20 minutes of labor. I like the way it looks. Now I have to retrain myself to look at the center screen, not at the - nonexistent - gauges.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on the new look!

Do you have a web-link for Faria?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done...

Did you consider adding other guages..voltmeter etc or charging ports..?? but for a clean look ...you nailed it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Analog guages

I have a 2015 RT base model. No analog guages. I could never figure out why BRP installs redundant analog guages when the digital guages are just inches away. But that's just me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It was probably done to differentiate between the Base model, and the upgraded ones!
    Back in 2010: my A&C model had the gauges, but with Black trim around them. The RT-S had the chrome bezels.

Spyder Garage

Good job Dwight. Looks nice and clean.

Spyder Garage

took mine out a long time ago, replaces the with a volt meter on the right, and a 12 volt outlet on the left
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Faria Link

I didn't really want any other gauges, which is why I went the blank cover route. Here is a link to the Faria site which gives a list of distributors. The part number number is 12861 Euro Blank in black, 2" diameter, not to be confused with the 4" diameter blank. No picture, but it is on the bottom of page 13 of their online catalog.

http://faria-instruments.com/distributors.php

http://faria-instruments.com/site_ma...log-150825.pdf
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 07-14-2016 at 12:35 PM.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

For a clean look you nailed it!

I replaced mine with a 12v on one side and a dual USB on the other side.

Dash Power with GPS.jpg

JT

Spyder Garage

Default help me out

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    RT Dashboard.jpg

Well, I finally got tired of the wildly inaccurate analog gas gauge, and figured that if I was going to disable it I would do the same with the temp gauge. To my surprise and annoyance, the gas gauge "remembered" what the fuel level was, and the needle stayed in that same position as before it was disabled. I kept looking at it and thinking, "I'm gonna have to get gas soon". Then I would remember that it was disabled, look at my mileage, and the bar graph on the center screen for the actual fuel level. So I decided to take them out. I went to a local boat dealer and had them order two 2" Euro Blanks (that's what the manufacturer calls them) made by Faria Marine Instruments. Took out the gauges, and put in the blanks with a small bead of black silicone around the bezel to keep water out. So here is the finished product at a cost of $35.00 and 20 minutes of labor. I like the way it looks. Now I have to retrain myself to look at the center screen, not at the - nonexistent - gauges.

Ok, so help me out on the "wildly inaccurate" comment. Was it overestimating how much gas you had or underestimating?
    And is it possible to show the digital gas gauge without disconnecting the analog?

Spyder Garage

No the digital gauges only come up when BOTH analog gauges are disconnected.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Please excuse the dumb question: Where did you guys get the USB, voltmeter, or 12V outlet that fits in the analog holes? Do they come with the correct plates or did you improvise?

Thanks for the help.
    Dave

Spyder Garage

When I disconnected mine, I filled it up first so at least the dead analog gas gauge is stuck on full. I put a Voltmeter in place of the temp gauge on the right. One of these days I'll yank that dead fuel gauge and replace it with something, like a clock that actually keeps time.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KosherKid View Post
    Please excuse the dumb question: Where did you guys get the USB, voltmeter, or 12V outlet that fits in the analog holes? Do they come with the correct plates or did you improvise?

Thanks for the help.
    Dave
    I got my voltmenter on Amazon. 52 mm is the perfect size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pam
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 07-14-2016 at 07:13 PM.

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I got my voltmenter on Amazon. 52 mm is the perfect size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pam
    Pam,
    Where did you mount it--replace an existing gauge or add another bracket?
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Pam,
    Where did you mount it--replace an existing gauge or add another bracket?
    Darrell
    I took out the temp gauge, tapped into the existing positive and negative wires for the voltmeter and slid it into place. 52mm fits perfectly.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rookieryder View Post
    Ok, so help me out on the "wildly inaccurate" comment. Was it overestimating how much gas you had or underestimating?
    And is it possible to show the digital gas gauge without disconnecting the analog?
    Prior to 2014 the RT analog gauges were worthless, they tended to bounce and they didn't give you a good idea of how much fuel you really had. The gas gauge on the 14 and newer are pretty darn accurate.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rookieryder View Post
    The gas gauge always showed less than I really had in the tank. And, as Pegasus1300 said, you have to disconnect both analog gauges to get the fuel and temperature bar graphs to show up on the center screen.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Prior to 2014 the RT analog gauges were worthless, they tended to bounce and they didn't give you a good idea of how much fuel you really had. The gas gauge on the 14 and newer are pretty darn accurate. "

In fact, it's actually the most accurate fuel gauge that I've had in ANY vehicle.

Spyder Garage

Good looking out to find this site. Others that I looked at had similar pricing, but they also had a minimum purchase, which 2 blanks did not equal. So, I ended up paying twice the price, but I got and installed them right away, so I am OK with paying more. Plus, I'm supporting a local business, which I like doing whenever possible.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    "Prior to 2014 the RT analog gauges were worthless, they tended to bounce and they didn't give you a good idea of how much fuel you really had. The gas gauge on the 14 and newer are pretty darn accurate. "......
    There's no denying that after 2013, the fuel gauge accuracy got a helluva lot better, at least as far as the bouncing around & wildly innacurate readings were concerned; but sadly, even tho the 2013 & earlier digital 'bar graph' is more stable & better reflects the progressive fuel use, I've found that the sender itself is really, REALLY inaccurate too, and even tho the digital gauge now shows a progressive reduction from full to empty as I ryde, it NEVER shows a true 'Full', and when it hits the bottom bar and the fuel light comes on, I invariably still have AT LEAST 1/2 a tank of fuel left....but it's still never the same 'progressive fall' from full to empty either!!

Sometimes, it says it's only 3/4 full when the tank won't hold another drop, then it dives to empty and shows the low fuel warning light after just 35km of ryding; other times it sits on full until I've ridden 200km then suddenly drops to empty/low fuel light in the next 10km; or the bloody thing starts out OK & even looks like it might do the right thing as it slowly & fairly accurately follows my fuel usage over the first 1 or close to 200 km before dropping to empty/low fuel warning light status soon after & a dip of the tank shows it's still close on or above 1/2 full!!

So these days, rather than using the appallingly inaccurate analogue gauge, or the slightly more accurate digital gauge, I just work off my trip meters!! Since I had the Rotax Racing ECU Upgrade done to my V-twin, it's been great - Cruising solo or 2-up, a full tank is generally going to be good for something over 400km; fanging it around the Hills or playing boy racer with the Highway traffic it's good for about 300kms; and that's a whole boat-load better than it was before & quite respectable for such a wind-jammer of a bike! Besides, the trip meters are consistantly accurate and have never varied in their 'rate of registering the kms' - altho I must admit that sometimes the 'reported distance travelled' doesn't really reflect my actual 'distance made good' over the ground, despite accurately reflecting how many times the rear tire has turned & how far it has 'theoretically' travelled - but usually if that's the case, then the speedo may also have said I was travelling at about 90 kph for a bit while the byke was barely travelling at a walking pace!! Oops, my bad!! But it is fun!!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I see this is a rejuvenated thread. The gauges came as an add on in 2010. They were considered "upline." I bought the "upline-premier" edition that year. The RTS. Numbered edition #474. Not worth anything extra even though they "implied" it.

Both the gas gauges on my 2010 and then the 2011 A & C were wonky and I ended up disconnecting both sets. The digital gauges worked just fine for us.

We still have the 2011. The 2014 gauges work just fine--so I have not changed them out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default My replacement

Spyder Garage