Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default bump

I want to bump this up to get any updates or experiences from people who have trailered since this thread ended.

I've decided to trailer my new Spyder home from western MA. It was just going to be too long a ride under conditions that I'd like to work up to as I haven't ridden a motorcycle on a highway ever.

Anyway, I have two long ramps which I can use layed up against the tailgate ramp of my utility trailer to raise the front of the Spyder up prior to it hitting the tailgate of the trailer. I'm going to drill a hole in each so I can use a bolt as a pin to prevent the ramps from slipping as the Spyder front wheels travel up the ramps.

Do I need to do anything else to get the Spyder up on the flatbed of the trailer? I've read the owner's manual and think I will be fine using ratchet straps through the wheels to tie the Spyder down. I just don't want any surprises loading the Spyder up onto the flatbed. I take it the rear wheel simply travels directly up the tailgate of the trailer without any problems. Unloading it's all just reverse of loading. Right? One question I'm adding is that my wooden ramps are fairly long. In Don's pictures he used short boards. Am I going to have problems with the longer ramps do you think?

TIA for any input, encouragement, tips, etc.
    Last edited by DynamoBT; 04-21-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: adding a question
    Marilyn

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

....this is a follow-up to my trailer loading description.

I have marked the exact location I want my boards to be located on the ramp by adding some paint to the trailer ramp that just outlines the boards. Now I can place the boards in the exact same place every time, instead of guessing.

I don't see that the length of the boards would make too much difference. Again, as already mentioned, make sure to check the area of the trailer where the ramp meets the actual trailer floor - make sure the center of the bike clears this point. I place a couple of boards UNDER the edge of the ramp to raise it off the ground some to make less of an angle at that junction.

Hope this helps.

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

I made the short boards with the drop pin and they worked great!!!

If I was using the trailer regularly I'd do something to mark the spot of the ramps too. For now, I don't have need to trailer the Spyder that much if at all. My dealer will make specific appointments for service. I plan to just wait while it's worked on.

Thanks much for the work that went into this thread.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

I put a towle rolled and the straps go threw it on the rim then winched down . same on each wheel keeps from the strap rubbing on the rim.rids well no move ment at all .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    I made the short boards with the drop pin and they worked great!!!

If I was using the trailer regularly I'd do something to mark the spot of the ramps too. For now, I don't have need to trailer the Spyder that much if at all. My dealer will make specific appointments for service. I plan to just wait while it's worked on.

Thanks much for the work that went into this thread.
    get a hindge and put a bord along the bottom of ramp so you can get on easy or do as i did 3 teere ramp and a track to roll it under the trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Degaman View Post
    I finally got a chance to take some pics of my custom made trailer for spyder, 6'4"wide x 11' including last 3' dovetailed, 4' gate:

How much does the back of the trailer drop down? I am thinking of having one built.
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydr in KS View Post
    How much does the back of the trailer drop down? I am thinking of having one built.
    The dove tail is a 2" drop.
    Vidi, Vici, Veni!