Spyder Garage

Default Front tires worn

I have a 2015 RT Limited with 7000+ miles. On a trip to South Carolina I noticed the front tires were worn more than me friends RT Limited with the same mileage. We went to a Spyder rally in Landrum, SC and have the alignment checked. It was found to be way out and was reset. After returning home, I went to my dealer and he put new tires on at a reduced cost. After leaving there, I had an extreme vibration in the front end. Handle bars were vibrating almost uncontrollably. Returned to dealer and he checked and reset the alignment and rebalanced the tires. Still had a vibration through the handle bars, and after a couple hundred miles the dealer replaced the tires at there cost, and returned the others as being out of round. Having rode with these tires for about 300 miles, I ask a friend, who has the same bike as mine, to ride my bike. He agreed that there is still a front end vibration, through the handle bars. As a side note, I had no vibration with the original tires.
    My question is, has anyone run into this situation before? Did you come up with a fix?
    the first chance I get, I am headed back to my dealer to see what they have to say. They have a service department I trust. The only draw back, is they are not allowed to take any Spyder on long test drives. Whether it is a company policy or an insurance issue, I do not know.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by paulbrinker View Post
    I have a 2015 RT Limited with 7000+ miles. On a trip to South Carolina I noticed the front tires were worn more than me friends RT Limited with the same mileage. We went to a Spyder rally in Landrum, SC and have the alignment checked. It was found to be way out and was reset. After returning home, I went to my dealer and he put new tires on at a reduced cost. After leaving there, I had an extreme vibration in the front end. Handle bars were vibrating almost uncontrollably. Returned to dealer and he checked and reset the alignment and rebalanced the tires. Still had a vibration through the handle bars, and after a couple hundred miles the dealer replaced the tires at there cost, and returned the others as being out of round. Having rode with these tires for about 300 miles, I ask a friend, who has the same bike as mine, to ride my bike. He agreed that there is still a front end vibration, through the handle bars. As a side note, I had no vibration with the original tires.
    My question is, has anyone run into this situation before? Did you come up with a fix?
    the first chance I get, I am headed back to my dealer to see what they have to say. They have a service department I trust. The only draw back, is they are not allowed to take any Spyder on long test drives. Whether it is a company policy or an insurance issue, I do not know.
    put on some real tires and be done with your problems for many thousands of miles car tires are nite and day difference
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BALANCING TIRES

It's not rocket science, but if you don't have the equipment ( and most dealers DON'T ) and have to rely on sending it out .....well there you have it........jmho......Mike .............PS...Kenda's aren't a PREMIUM tire I don't care what BRP says about this ......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    put on some real tires and be done with your problems for many thousands of miles car tires are nite and day difference
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It's not rocket science, but if you don't have the equipment ( and most dealers DON'T ) and have to rely on sending it out .....well there you have it........jmho......Mike .............PS...Kenda's aren't a PREMIUM tire I don't care what BRP says about this ......
    Trust BRP they designed the Spyder and as delivered it has the proper tire for the job. Stick with OEM.

Spyder Garage

I'm wondering if the tech didnt undo the aglinment when you first went back to the dealer for tires, & or a mistake of some sort allowing the "reduced cost". Simply changing tires is not suppose to affect aglinment as I was informed at spyderfest.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    I'm wondering if the tech didnt undo the aglinment when you first went back to the dealer for tires, & or a mistake of some sort allowing the "reduced cost". Simply changing tires is not suppose to affect aglinment as I was informed at spyderfest.
    I had a similar issue when my dealer installed new Kenda tires on the front. Most here would quickly jump on the fact that a Kenda tire is junk. NOT SO. The problem was that the tech working on the bike did not understand that he was doing a single plane balance job incorrectly. Once his error was corrected, the bike was smooth and stable on those "junk" Kenda tires.

Spyder Garage

You don't say what kind of Alignment you got in SC. Or from who. But it is likely that the dealership messed up your alignment. Especially if it was done correctly in SC. Very few dealerships have the proper laser alignment equipment and even then, there are some who simply don't know how to use it or are not careful enough.

Kenda tires are cheaply made, expensive tires. You're much better off with an appropriate set of 'Car' tires. The Kenda's are not motorcycle tires. They are car tires, just too light duty to carry the weight of a car.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Front Wheel Vibration

I purchased a used Spyder RT, and it had a bad vibration for about the first 10-20 miles, of the day. Changed the front tires and found this brown slime, in the tires... I assume that until they got warmed up, the slime stuck to one side of the tire...causing the balance.. issue. Changed tires no issues now..

John.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You don't say what kind of Alignment you got in SC. Or from who. But it is likely that the dealership messed up your alignment. Especially if it was done correctly in SC. Very few dealerships have the proper laser alignment equipment and even then, there are some who simply don't know how to use it or are not careful enough.

Kenda tires are cheaply made, expensive tires. You're much better off with an appropriate set of 'Car' tires. The Kenda's are not motorcycle tires. They are car tires, just too light duty to carry the weight of a car.

Had Rolo laser alignment done at his garage while at a Spyder event hosted by him and his wife.

Spyder Garage

So, what tire would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

Spyder Garage

I would recommend the General Altimax RT 43 ( 215/60 R 15) as a rear tire. I am currently running that tire, and @ 26 PSI. The spyder handles great on dry, wet, gravel pavement.

It has high performance ratings:
    Wet: Hydroplaning Resistance 8.6
    Traction 8.7

Dry: Cornering Stability 8.7
    Dry Traction 9.0
    Steering Response 8.6

Comfort:

Ride Quality 8.6
    Noise 8.3
    Tread wear 8.7

This is my 2nd motorcycle riding season, with the General Altimax Rt 43 and it still looks new. I have 7,390 miles on the tire( changed rear tire @ 5,824 miles) current mileage is 13,214.

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Other than OEM tires in front what would you recommend?

Spyder Garage

Default Pleased so far witn the Kumho Solus KH16's on front

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    I forget the size, but a 15 inch tire with close to the same aspect/height ratio. Wife has all Kumhos on her 15 RTS and is riding now or I'd check. The tires balanced up with less weight than the OEM's and she loves the smooth roll. Happy wife, happy life? Got a decent life from the OEM's at 23,000 miles but some uneven wear even after Lamonster's alignment at SpyderFest, and not as smooth on the roll as we have now with the Kumhos.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Had Rolo laser alignment done at his garage while at a Spyder event hosted by him and his wife.
    Then your dealer definitely did not do you any favors with their 'Re-Alignment'. Shake in the handlebars is not alignment. It's balance. They never should have touched the alignment. If they actually did anything you really need to get that done again. What a shame. Kenda tires are known for out-of-balance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by edcourtney View Post
    So, what tire would you recommend?
    I have not kept up with which tires work well. Every time I find a good tire they discontinue it. But there is plenty of current information here on Spyderlovers.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    I forget the size, but a 15 inch tire with close to the same aspect/height ratio. Wife has all Kumhos on her 15 RTS and is riding now or I'd check. The tires balanced up with less weight than the OEM's and she loves the smooth roll. Happy wife, happy life? Got a decent life from the OEM's at 23,000 miles but some uneven wear even after Lamonster's alignment at SpyderFest, and not as smooth on the roll as we have now with the Kumhos.
    She might have the Kumho Solus.
    155/60-015.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Red face Yep that's it Kumho Solus KH16.. two more Kumho Ecstas in the garage for the rears

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    155/60-015.
    Raining now...wife will be home from her commute shortly

Spyder Garage

Default Kumho Solus size...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    155/60-015.
    I presently have Solus KH16 175/55R15 on my ST . They fit on both type of fenders. Son-in-law has them on his RSS .

We both love them.... !!!

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 175/55-15

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post
    I presently have Solus KH16 175/55R15 on my ST . They fit on both type of fenders. Son-in-law has them on his RSS .

Thank you for this report......It's great to know first hand what fits .........Mike

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RT limited. 33,000 miles on the front tires that came on bike. They are dipping on inside and outside edges,but still has plenty of tread. I use Ride-On in my tires. Balance is great,handling is great,but I sound like a helicopter going down the road. This also happened on my 2013. I run 23 pounds of air pressure in front tires. Maybe it is just a can-am thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Paul, have you tried any Ride-On in your tires? It will balance them with weights or without weights. Also seals the tire if you run over a nail. Works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    Continental ContiProContact or CONTIECOCONTACT EP.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 07-15-2016 at 09:11 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Federal EVO in the stock size on the front. Although I don't know if it is still currently produced.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Continental ContiProContact or CONTIECOCONTACT EP.
    I am running the same tire on my 2014RTS-SE6. I like them so far. Tire size: 165/60R 15. The spyder handles great, I did notice a difference between the Kenda's. Mileage on the Kenda's were 12,807.

When I had the Kenda's on the front, Right front tire shook only when I when I applied the brakes. Current miles on Continental Contiprocontact are 605.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default It's good to know the 175/55 size Solus KH16 fits also--

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post

Wife's 15 RTS has the 155-60R15's that Bob D mentioned and rolling smooth with 7,000 miles on them and over 5/32" still to the wear bars (6/32" left in the groove).