Spyder Garage

Smile Suggestions, please.....

Our little group of 5 bikes (3 Spyders, 1 Harley & 1 Honda Gold Wing) are heading down to the Oregon Coast next Saturday from Vancouver, BC, Canada. Our first overnighter will be at Astoria, Oregon and proceed down the coast and somehow turn back and head for Eugene, then Crater Lake before making our way back to Vancouver. We plan 4-5 nights for this trip.

Woud like to solicit suggestions and ideas from your travel experience on where to go, see, eat and stay. Thank you in advance for your kind input.

Benggolf

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Can't help you

Quote Originally Posted by Benggolf View Post
    Our little group of 5 bikes (3 Spyders, 1 Harley & 1 Honda Gold Wing) are heading down to the Oregon Coast next Saturday from Vancouver, BC, Canada. Our first overnighter will be at Astoria, Oregon and proceed down the coast and somehow turn back and head for Eugene, then Crater Lake before making our way back to Vancouver. We plan 4-5 nights for this trip.

Woud like to solicit suggestions and ideas from your travel experience on where to go, see, eat and stay. Thank you in advance for your kind input.

Benggolf
    Sorry that I'm not able to help you out, but that sounds like a nice ride. I just want to wish you all the best. Have a great trip.

Bruce

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Default Suggestions

We drove north, by car, from San Francisco to Astoria and then the Portland last July. Hugged the coast all the way. Watch out for bicycle riders; they will be everywhere! Some attractions for consideration:
    • Columbia River Maritime Museum was worth the price of entry in Astoria.
    • Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock - nice drive-by
    • Several lighthouses if that is your thing.
    • Nice state parks all along the way. Don't need to see them all, but good places to pull of and rest and stretch the legs.
    • Many B&Bs along the way. A better way to get to know the area by staying with locals.
    • If you can, go as far south as you need to see the Redwoods. Well worth the time!
    • Our stopping points (S to N) were Eureka, Coos Bay, Seaside, and Portland.

Good luck and enjoy! Would love to do this trip on my Spyder!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There's a Lewis and Clark museum at the end of the Columbia River that was really nice.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Benggolf,

Re: Woud like to solicit suggestions and ideas from your travel experience on where to go, see, eat and stay.

Since you are going down the coast, I would not go over to Eugene & then to Crater Lake. Depending upon your time-frame I would consider going all the way down to just over the California border, then take HiWay 199 to Grants Pass, then over to Crater Lake.

Just one thought; the Oregon coast drive is one of the most scenic in the USA, take your time & enjoy the views. Oh, spend lots of money; we like that.

Jerry Baumchen

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Join the Affordable Travel Club you stay in peoples homes for $20 and you meet good people and they fill you in on the local stuff. Use my name if you join I think I get brownie points

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Astoria has historical sites related to large presence of Finnish people there in the early 1900's. There is the Astoria Column and Maritime Museum to see and several great eating places along the shore streets. And as has been mentioned the Lewis and Clark National Historic Park where they spent the winter during their expedition to the Northwest is just west of Astoria.

Camp 18 Restaurant on Hwy 26 is an interesting place to eat. Google it. Kind of off the way but worth a side trip if you have time.

Try to fit Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville, OR in your itinerary. It's the home of the Spruce Goose.

If you have thoughts of stopping in Bend, OR you better call ahead for hotel reservations. Bend is a hot summer tourist spot and hotel rooms can be hard to come by.

Tillamook Cheese Factory in Tillamook is an interesting stop. It's right on the coastal highway.

Another great stop for a couple of hours is the sand sculpture competition in Long Beach, WA July 20-24. http://sandsationslongbeach.com/ The timing of that probably won't work for you though.

Vancouver, WA is the home of Fort Vancouver National Historic Site and Pearson Air Museum. They have a collection of World War 1 aviation memorabilia. Pearson is where Russian pilots landed at the end of a polar cap flight back in the '30s.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you all....

Thank you all that posted. Your input and suggestions are most helpful.
    We will be finalizing our trip this coming Wednesday and Evergreen museum is definitely included in our plans.

I have driven up the Pacific Coast Highway in the late eighties from San Francisco to Portland before heading home to Vancouver, but
    never done it on a motorcycle. We look forward to it and a sincere thanks for your help.

Spyder Garage

If you stop in Florence, this is fun. We ride quads in the dunes but still enjoy the big buggy ride!

http://www.sandland.com/giant-dune-buggy-tours/

Spyder Garage

Sorry that I cannot provide you with good information. One of the few places where I have not traveled the roads.

Wanted to say that I am envious of your trip and hope you will have an enjoyable time and remain safe.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red