Thread: RT to F3

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT to F3

This past week end I had the opportunity to spend extended time on the F3T and all I can say is WOW!!!!!! The handling is phenomenal and I can see why people say you don't need a sway bar. The lower center of gravity really helps. I could take turns way faster than on my RT. Our SRA chapter had the opportunity to lead demo rides for BRP down in Fresno so we spent a lot of time Ryding our bikes and theirs. The one thing I did not like, as a group ryde leader, was that the visibility of the road and other vehicles was reduced as a result sitting so much lower. I think I can get around that however. I found that supprisingly I felt really comfortable in the seating position. Now our route was no more that 8 or nine miles so my question is for all of you that have gone from RT to F3 how would you compare the ryde comfort of the F3 to the RT on long rydes, 200,300 +++ miles. We usually do long day rydes and I am curious how try F3 feels at those distances.

Thanks!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another "RT Pilot", peeking over the fence, and wondering...
    Are you going to make the change, or just "entertain the notion", for a little bit?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Adding

Well Bob, since my wife LOVES to drive the front seat is getting way to crowded so in order to maintain peace in the household we may need to add one to the stable! Just hope I can find a spare $30,000 in cushions of the couch!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I sense that the infestation is growing...
    on having a real "Keeper", for your better-half!

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Well Bob, since my wife LOVES to drive the front seat is getting way to crowded so in order to maintain peace in the household we may need to add one to the stable! Just hope I can find a spare $30,000 in cushions of the couch!
    That's a lot of couches... Don't know about the rest...never been on either one outside sitting on them in a showroom. Should be a nice addition and comfort is adjustable...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default I think it's more comfortable

I find the seating/riding position more comfortable than I did my RT Limited for long rides, but I suspect everyone's mileage may vary.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default You are correct

image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I sense that the infestation is growing...
    on having a real "Keeper", for your better-half!
    I am really lucky Bob!

Spyder Garage

Hang on to your "keeper." Let us know what you decide.

I am one who has peeked at the other side and made the decision to continue on with the RT. F3 has the looks to die for, but the ergos do not work for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yep, that is what I am not sure of either is how the ergot would work on a long ryde. We did over 500 miles this weekend on the RT and it was a more comfortable than taking the same ride in my car! But wow the handling of that F3 and the power of that motor on that smaller chassis wow! I was doing 80 on the freeway in 6th gear,and dropped down to 5th and rolled on the power, by the time I was in 6th again we had not yet topped out at 111 mph. Now that is way toooooooo fast and I am not interested in that kind of speed, but coupled with the ability to carve up the twisties, it was really impressive. So that's why I am interested to hear from others that have made the switch.

Spyder Garage

Default RT to F3t comparison

Pretty sure I qualify as a distance Ryder. Luv the F3t. But I luved my RTs also. If 2 up on F3 I would ? passenger comfort for distance ryde!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome News

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Pretty sure I qualify as a distance Ryder. Luv the F3t. But I luved my RTs also. If 2 up on F3 I would ? passenger comfort for distance ryde!!
    I was hoping to hear from you as I know you hit the two lanes hard. The whole reason to get the F3 is to avoid two up as my wife, like you, loves to be in the front seat.

Spyder Garage

... Now our route was no more that 8 or nine miles so my question is for all of you that have gone from RT to F3 how would you compare the ryde comfort of the F3 to the RT on long rydes, 200,300 +++ miles. We usually do long day rydes and I am curious how try F3 feels at those distances.

Thanks!
    I know you asked about the RT vs F3 and I can't exactly speak to that. What I can tell you is that I took my F3 418 miles from my house in PA to my work's North Carolina office in a little under 8 hours (solo). When I got to the hotel, I was still in good shape. I could have gone another 100 miles or more easy.

Spyder Garage

I was hoping to hear from you as I know you hit the two lanes hard. The whole reason to get the F3 is to avoid two up as my wife, like you, loves to be in the front seat.
    I now have an F3 Limited coming off a '14 RT Limited. I have just over 1600 miles on it in five weeks, so I'm not as seasoned as others. For me, it's great. If I rode two-up I don't think it'd be anywhere near as comfortable for the passenger. Good thing my wife has her own '14 RT-S.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I went from RT to F3 and couldn't be happier. The handle bars fall naturally to my grasp. I replaced the foot pegs with BRP boards and I am able to move my legs around. No need for cruiser pegs to straighten the knees! The U-fit allows many variations to make you comfy that the RT doesn't offer without major mods. I would never go back! Best of luck on your decision!

Spyder Garage

Default Wow

You guys rock. Loving all of the responses. Making this decision easier. Keep em coming!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I think that even though you went on a bunch of short rides you got a pretty good idea that the F3 fits you. For me a few short rides were enough for me to know that the forward controls are not good for me. Keep the RT for the wife and get yourself the F3, I think you'll both be happy.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

with Ann; you'll have the "Best of Both Worlds" available!

Spyder Garage

I've got an F3-S and the wife has an F3-T. About a month ago, we did a ride to the Smoky Mountains. On the way there, we did 640 miles on day 1. Rode the entire distance, 910 miles, on the way home in one day. The F3 is definitely great for long rides!
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Spyder Garage

Default Nice

Ok the votes are still being counted, but I am enjoying the input so far love to hear more. Thanks all!