Thread: Bad ball joint?

Spyder Garage

Default Bad ball joint?

I think I have a bad ball joint on the left side of my '12 RTL. I've been griping and complaining on the RT Touring forum about my bike's squirrely handling, and today coming back from lunch it starting shimmying really bad in a left-hand turn. Scared the hoo-haw out of me.

Anyways, the right wheel doesn't have any play, but the left wheel will rock back and forth when I push/pull on the top of the tire. I just called for a tow to the dealer (yay for AAA motorcycle coverage!); we'll see what's up.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Possibility of a bad wheel bearing.

Spyder Garage

Watch carefully when you are pushing/ pulling on the top of the tire, cos if the entire 'A' arm is moving as you rock, it's more likely to be the chassis end 'A' arm 'pillows' & bushes that need replacing!! The 'A' arm won't move with the tire as you rock it back & fort if it's the ball joint that's worn; in fact, if you wrap one hand over/around the ball joint & rock the tire with your other hand, you should probably feel the movement & possibly grinding inside the ball joint as you rock!! You won't feel that if the 'A' arm bushes or the wheel bearing/s are the issue & the bushes are a helluva lot smaller & more prone to 'early damage or wear ' than most ball joints or wheel bearings that haven't taken a really hard knock!! You haven't hit a kerb HARD lately have you?? Run that wheel into a car or big pot hole at speed, or something like that have you?? Regardless, it's all good stuff to check out when you have a wobbly wheel!

Good Luck getting it sorted!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-08-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Down for at least a week

I had it towed to the dealer. They're going to check it out and fix it. The air scoop kit is going on as well.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're waiting to see how your bike handles, after the Dealer gives it back to you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

We're waiting to see how your bike handles, after the Dealer gives it back to you!
    Me, too. I think he should just trade it in on that '16 he got to try out.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)