Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    Now I see this! Ya well! I ordered a Shadow trailer from Mini Trailers USA. Supposed to be here Tuesday and we leave on a 5 or 6 day road trip the following Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed that it gets here on time.
    You'll be glad you got the Mini Trailer USA trailer. The only problem I see is you'll wish you had gotten the Nomad. I had a Nomad and they are very nice. It's pretty easy to set up, too.

Good luck.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Remember, any vehicle large or small is suitable for touring as long as the user is prepared to work within the limits of the vehicle. I met one man, at 2004 Sturgis rally, who rode from New Orleans on his 150cc scooter! Took him 10 days to get there, but he enjoyed the trip.

Spyder Garage

Red face 6'3 and the F3S

For what it is worth, just back from a 2000 miles+ tour without any problem. Before I had a RT but this machine is so much more comfort and fun to drive, choice is easy
    2020 F3S , Matte black

Spyder Garage

Default Stupid Spyder !

So I had my F3 and RT test ride today. I listened dutifully to the salesman's instructions and then followed him to the front gate and told the F3 to turn left, at which time the obstinate bloody thing started to turn right and head for an incoming car. I immediately pulled in the clutch, grabbed the brake and put my foot down.......as unbelievable as it seems, nothing happened.

After what seemed like around 16 hours, I started to get the hang of it (sort of). At first it reminded me of my first time steering a houseboat, where we covered about 5km travelling the one kilometre to the nearest jetty.

The ride wasn't really long enough to get a good feel for handling, buffeting etc, but the 2016 F3 with the foot controls at position 5 fit me well and would be pretty comfortable once an aftermarket seat was installed. I took the 2016 RT Limited out on my own, and while I struggled to bend my ankle up enough to use the brake, the rest of it felt more comfortable/familiar to me than the F3. I figure if I can get a 2" back Ultimate (or similar) seat, and install the Seal floorboards, I will be able to ride with my feet out front while braking with my heel, which will also be quite comfortable. Comfort is more important to me than being able to throw the Spyder vigorously around corners these days, unfortunate as that sounds

The dealership actually has a new 2015 RT Sports (with the burgundy seat), for around $7,000 (Aussie) cheaper than a new 2016 RT Limited. Does anyone know if there any major differences between the two models apart from wheel types and the "free" front travel bag etc, or if there are any major issues with the 2015 RT-S ? Not that I have made up my mind which way to go yet

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 07-12-2016 at 02:48 AM.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Peteoz,
    We have talked a couple of times about your height v. comfort, so this posting is more to the other responders to this issue. This is a case where "size does matter". Your issue with F3 floorboard's seemed to be that you felt you needed the brake setting at #5 instead of the Factory #3 setting. As I mention to you, with the huge size of the Seal Floorboard, you can stretch way out and (as you mentioned) brake with your heel. That's a perfect solution for long legs. On my '09 RS SE5, I always used my heel and fount it completely natural. With a long Floorboard, the brake position is not really relevant but the ability to stretch out is. Buy buying the base model F3, you save on the cost of BRP floorboards, and have some money left over for that back rest and/or tall windshield. I think both would be requirements for me. As so many have said, comfort is the key, so, ride in comfort, my friend, whatever you decide.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sealfloorboards; 07-12-2016 at 10:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    Hey Peteoz,
    We have talked a couple of times about your height v. comfort, so this posting is more to the other responders to this issue. This is a case where "size does matter". Your issue with F3 floorboard's seemed to be that you felt you needed the brake setting at #5 instead of the Factory #3 setting. As I mention to you, with the huge size of the Seal Floorboard, you can stretch way out and (as you mentioned) brake with your heel. That's a perfect solution for long legs. On my '09 RS SE5, I always used my heel and fount it completely natural.
    Couldn't agree more, John. Based on yesterday's demo ride, there is no way I could ride the stock RT S or L comfortably with the board and brake in their current position. However, once I moved myself slightly up and back a couple of inches on the seat (bit uncomfortable with that plastic cover, and put the balls of my feet on the road grime deflector (approx where your Seal boards would end) and braked (broke ? ) with my heel, it was quite comfortable and made the RT a viable purchase possibility.

The F3 was great for me in position 5 for braking, but the boards are pretty small and the size 15s are stuck in one place, so your idea of buying the cheaper model with pegs and using the savings to buy Seal boards and tall screens also has great merit. (Kevin, the Brisans salesman was excellent...and he gave me the Aussie $ price of the Spyder boards.....$1300

Either way, if I do decide to go with a Spyder, it will be with two of your boards to accommodate long legs......thanks.......

I say "if", above, as I still have to convince myself that I will be able to control the squirrelling and forget my many years of counter steer, clutch and foot down operations. I frightened the heck out of myself yesterday.

Pete
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red