Spyder Garage

Default The most miserable road I have ever been on.

Generally I love to travel by Spyder.
    Anywhere.

I've just gotten back from a trip that took me across Ohio on I-80 or the Ohio Turnpike.
    Egads what a trip.
    Plus I got to pay a hefty toll for our two Spyders.

The best of the trip was when we got completely drenched.
    It alleviated the misery and gave us welcome temporary relief from the mind numbing boredom punctuated by
    insufferable construction delays.

The snakelike movements of the triple trailers added a new dimension of terror to an already stressful ride beside eighteen wheelers whose
    appearance looked as if the last maintenance was done during Carter Administration.

No turns, no hills, no valleys, no fun.
    Just a critique, I'm sure it's someone's favorite road.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    Anywhere.

I've just gotten back from a trip that took me across Ohio on I-80 or the Ohio Turnpike.
    Egads what a trip.

It alleviated the misery and gave us welcome temporary relief from the mind numbing boredom punctuated by

The snakelike movements of the triple trailers added a new dimension of terror to an already stressful ride beside eighteen wheelers whose
    appearance looked as if the last maintenance was done during Carter Administration.

I agree please kill me if I ever even think of this highway

Spyder Garage

I've been on I 80 back in the late 60's it sucked even back then. I'm happy in the mountains in SW VA.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Used to travel I80 in the car and I agree it is horrible. We have the super loads here on I15 and they are a bit scary as they dance down the road in high winds going nearly 75 mph but at least we get to experience that for free.

At least you weren't towing a trailer with your Spyder or you would really be seeing red as the turnpike charges you for 3 axles. I was paying $15 on I80, the Chicago Skyway Bridge and a bridge in Oakland, CA.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

travel the 2 lanes.....much nicer

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

I've been on some roads like that yet I've never been in Ohio. ....know what you went thru and know you will find a better way if ever again...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree that when you feel like a "toad dancing among the elephants"; things can get a bit nerve-wracking.
    Your trip on I-80, reminds me of our return trip on I-70... We did it: we didn't dig it!
    The Interstates are a necessary evil, when you've got to pile up the miles. We also prefer two-lane routes.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Ohio vs PA

Going on the turnpike thru PA. really sucks too. I'd rather drive 100 miles longer than ride these roads . Everybody else on the road seems to think they're the only ones on the road and I hate the overloaded speeding trucks .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been on I-70 in that area and agree with Bob. But my experience in the west is that the interstates are in pretty good condition and often the fastest way to get through the "great American dessert." You just miss out on a lot of local flavor.

Those big trucks, however, are truly scary!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Next time you cross Ohio, try US 30. Way more calming than I80.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Patti,
    I've heard it said, that the best way to cross Nebraska, is "asleep: in the back of a van."
    Is it like that for Kansas also?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Patti,
    I've heard it said, that the best way to cross Nebraska, is "asleep: in the back of a van."
    Is it like that for Kansas also?
    That's a strategy we used to use when I was in college and we'd drive to Colorado to ski. We'd leave home about 10 pm, and arrive at the slopes about the time the lifts opened. Ski all day then sleep. After a couple days, we'd drive home all night and go to work the morning we arrived!

I can't do that any more.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I've been on I-70 in that area and agree with Bob. But my experience in the west is that the interstates are in pretty good condition and often the fastest way to get through the "great American dessert." You just miss out on a lot of local flavor.

Those big trucks, however, are truly scary!
    I agree, Interstate 80 & 70 in the west are nice roads, actually most of the interstates in the west are nice until you get to California then they get rough and busy.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default The Worst Road In the US

Don't want to hijack this thread but on my recent 9000 mile tour of the west coast we went on, what I believe, is the worst road in the US. Shocking claim, I know, but I have never seen a worse road.

It starts in Ferndale, CA almost as a side street. Officially, at this point it is named Wildcat Ave.

The road wanders from Ferndale, CA to Capetown, CA on to Petrolia, CA. This latter place is where oil was first discovered in CA. From Petrolia, it wanders to Honeydew, CA through the Mattole Reservation to Rt. 101 at Dean Creek Resort. The total distance from Ferndale to Dean Creek is around 90 miles and should have taken about an hour an a half. It took us six hours!

The road is an endless series of terrible potholes and patches. My Spyder bottomed-out four times.

Here are pictures of the whole trip: https://www.facebook.com/C0UNTRYR0AD...type=3&theater

So why take such a punishing ride? Actually, we saw some of the most beautiful views -- undeveloped land for miles and miles -- we saw on the whole trip. It was as if we had stumbled into an old California untouched since the early 20th c.

Terrible Interstate roads? For me, I-20 in Shreveport was the worst.
    Last edited by kentompkins; 07-08-2016 at 02:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

When you mention worst road one pops up for me.

The Alaska Highway from Destruction Bay, Yukon to the Alaska border.

About 130 miles of continuous frost heaves. I refer to them as Whoop Te Doos. In addition, no gas for over 100 miles. We saw a car maybe every 15 minutes or so, and nothing else.

The Whoop Te Doos are bad enough that you are taking your life into your hands if you exceed 30 mph. You can bottom out or worse. We saw a few pot holes that were as big and as deep as bathtubs. They had green or orange fluorescent paint around the outside. If you were to end up hitting one, what ever you were driving would be toast. Oh, and I did not fill up when I had a chance to--so drove several miles with the low fuel light on. I made it, but with little gas to spare.

The return trip did not seem so bad. I made sure we had full tanks of gas though. The NtA group experienced this road and I am sure have added it to their travel stories.

These kind of roads can be a bit daunting, but they make for a good campfire tale adventure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    Anywhere.

Egads what a trip.

Next time stay off the toll road and take US 20 or SR 2. Both are two lanes and go through plenty of small towns so it takes longer, but much better ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kentompkins View Post
    It was as if we had stumbled into an old California untouched since the early 20th c.

Terrible Interstate roads? For me, I-20 in Shreveport was the worst.
    Ken, I think that all of California's roads have been untouched since the early 20th c.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    When you mention worst road one pops up for me.

The Alaska Highway from Destruction Bay, Yukon to the Alaska border.

About 130 miles of continuous frost heaves. I refer to them as Whoop Te Doos. In addition, no gas for over 100 miles. We saw a car maybe every 15 minutes or so, and nothing else.

The Whoop Te Doos are bad enough that you are taking your life into your hands if you exceed 30 mph. You can bottom out or worse. We saw a few pot holes that were as big and as deep as bathtubs. They had green or orange fluorescent paint around the outside. If you were to end up hitting one, what ever you were driving would be toast. Oh, and I did not fill up when I had a chance to--so drove several miles with the low fuel light on. I made it, but with little gas to spare.

The return trip did not seem so bad. I made sure we had full tanks of gas though. The NtA group experienced this road and I am sure have added it to their travel stories.

These kind of roads can be a bit daunting, but they make for a good campfire tale adventure.
    Funny but that didn't even come to mind when I responded to this thread but I think it is because it was such an adventure.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622