Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default How to Use BaseCamp an Instructional Guide

I have just posted this on 3 separate threads.

Take the mystery out of route planning with these instructions for BaseCamp

http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_PC.pdf

Ed Conde holds BaseCamp seminars each winter, generally around the Feb time frame. This is the document he uses in his classes. It is top notch.

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    I have just posted this on 3 separate threads.

Take the mystery out of route planning with these instructions for BaseCamp

http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_PC.pdf

Ed Conde holds BaseCamp seminars each winter, generally around the Feb time frame. This is the document he uses in his classes. It is top notch.

Willie

Hopefully it will help me! Thank You!

Kent
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Thank You! I have been on Base Camp the past few days trying to figure it out, Watching lots of videos and just trial and error. I learned alot last night and this morning and got my route to the Spyders in the Hills pretty well ironed out. I still have lots to learn.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Thank You! I have been on Base Camp the past few days trying to figure it out, Watching lots of videos and just trial and error. I learned alot last night and this morning and got my route to the Spyders in the Hills pretty well ironed out. I still have lots to learn.
    Once you crack how it works, you will say to yourself, this is really simple. Just takes a bit to get there.

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First let me say that I hate clicking on links, I'd rather just see the information posted so I haven't clicked your link. What is the mystery in planning routes? I don't understand, I use Google Maps and don't have any issues and on my phone I use the IPhone Maps app. What does this program do that others don't?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    First let me say that I hate clicking on links, I'd rather just see the information posted so I haven't clicked your link. What is the mystery in planning routes? I don't understand, I use Google Maps and don't have any issues and on my phone I use the IPhone Maps app. What does this program do that others don't?
    A bit of history, especially from the Long Distance Rider point of view. First there was Streets and Trips for the planning of trips. Nice software but didn't interface with the Garmin GPS.

Along comes the Garmin Street Pilot 2610 at 500.00 and made GPS for folks within reach. Along with the device came MapSource for route planning purposes. It became the standard. The next series was the Street Pilot 27XX's and even cheaper that the 2610. Right after this Garmin introduces the Zumo series at well over 700.00

MapSource is still the standard, and became the LDR community choice of routing software.

BaseCamp came into being to have one software that worked for Nuvi, Zumo and hiking GPS's. Previous to this the file was a GDB file and which Garmin then switched to a more generic GPX file format which opened up the ability to download routes from multiple sources, such as the Harley Planner, Tyre, and others.

To address why isn't the info simply displayed versus a link, It is a PDF document and pretty extensive with explanations and visuals to go along with the explanations. For me to try to bring it into this space and wonder if the info is there would be too time consuming. So folks that are interested will click the link, others won't. Simple choice click or not click.

GPS's are a single mode device and handle traveling over the roads exceptionally well. Other devices like Smart Phones do a bunch of things OK and work but not at the same level (my opinion only) as a GPS. For me personally I rely heavily on my GPS's and run multiple GPS when I am traveling, especially when on my 4000+ mile journeys. This works for some and not for others.

YMMV

Willie
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

...I use Google Maps and don't have any issues and on my phone I use the IPhone Maps app. What does this program do that others don't?
    I use google maps for quick trips and route comparisons. I like basecamp because I like to maintain a library of ride ideas from magazines like Roadrunner and Ride Texas and I also use it for long term planning. When we did our 48 state trip the planning process was over a three year period. We are currently planning a trip combining the Lincoln Highway and US 50 from coast to coast. Basecamp allows me to set up waypoints for locations we want to see along the way and if for some reason I scrub a route to start over, the waypoints are still available. Fairly easy to cut sections out and paste sections in as well. The program does have a learning curve, but it is, IMO, more robust as a planning tool than google or some of the others.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Me also........

I also use Google Maps on my cell phone and have it blue toothed to my Sena head set to hear the directions. Super simple and works very well. The only downside I've found is Google Maps running constantly sucks the life out of the phone's battery, so I just hook up to 12v to keep it running. I don't always use the app because I generally know where I'm going. Mainly use it in congested areas with heavy traffic.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Thank you for posting that. I have said for many years that when I retire, I will have the time to commit to learning how to use Garmin Base Camp. I've been retired three years now and still haven't gotten around to it. Now I no longer have any excuses.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I do use the I Phone Maps, but we bought the Spyder with the GPS to use it and I would like to use it for more than a moving map.
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

I have found the Garmin technical support folks very helpful when I've run into BaseCamp problems that stump me or appear not to do what I want them to do.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Is this link only for Windows?

I've tried to access it in five different browsers on my iMac and each of them give me a "File Not Found" page.

ken tompkins

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kentompkins View Post
    Is this link only for Windows?

I've tried to access it in five different browsers on my iMac and each of them give me a "File Not Found" page.

ken tompkins
    My son gave up on BaseCamp on his Mac but was not for failure to find the program. I've seen the Mace version once and it looked substantially different from my Windows version. Suggest you call Garmin and ask for help; that's what they pay the tech for.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

that post is from 2016 If you want good information on using basecamp this is a good set of lesson http://www.poi-factory.com/node/41134

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I clicked on the link and it said file not found?
    2018 White F3 Limited