Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How to Use BaseCamp an Instructional Guide

I have just posted this on 3 separate threads.

Take the mystery out of route planning with these instructions for BaseCamp

http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_PC.pdf

Ed Conde holds BaseCamp seminars each winter, generally around the Feb time frame. This is the document he uses in his classes. It is top notch.

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    I have just posted this on 3 separate threads.

Take the mystery out of route planning with these instructions for BaseCamp

http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_PC.pdf

Ed Conde holds BaseCamp seminars each winter, generally around the Feb time frame. This is the document he uses in his classes. It is top notch.

Willie

Hopefully it will help me! Thank You!

Kent
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Thank You! I have been on Base Camp the past few days trying to figure it out, Watching lots of videos and just trial and error. I learned alot last night and this morning and got my route to the Spyders in the Hills pretty well ironed out. I still have lots to learn.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Thank You! I have been on Base Camp the past few days trying to figure it out, Watching lots of videos and just trial and error. I learned alot last night and this morning and got my route to the Spyders in the Hills pretty well ironed out. I still have lots to learn.
    Once you crack how it works, you will say to yourself, this is really simple. Just takes a bit to get there.

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First let me say that I hate clicking on links, I'd rather just see the information posted so I haven't clicked your link. What is the mystery in planning routes? I don't understand, I use Google Maps and don't have any issues and on my phone I use the IPhone Maps app. What does this program do that others don't?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Thank you for posting that. I have said for many years that when I retire, I will have the time to commit to learning how to use Garmin Base Camp. I've been retired three years now and still haven't gotten around to it. Now I no longer have any excuses.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I do use the I Phone Maps, but we bought the Spyder with the GPS to use it and I would like to use it for more than a moving map.
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    First let me say that I hate clicking on links, I'd rather just see the information posted so I haven't clicked your link. What is the mystery in planning routes? I don't understand, I use Google Maps and don't have any issues and on my phone I use the IPhone Maps app. What does this program do that others don't?
    A bit of history, especially from the Long Distance Rider point of view. First there was Streets and Trips for the planning of trips. Nice software but didn't interface with the Garmin GPS.

Along comes the Garmin Street Pilot 2610 at 500.00 and made GPS for folks within reach. Along with the device came MapSource for route planning purposes. It became the standard. The next series was the Street Pilot 27XX's and even cheaper that the 2610. Right after this Garmin introduces the Zumo series at well over 700.00

MapSource is still the standard, and became the LDR community choice of routing software.

BaseCamp came into being to have one software that worked for Nuvi, Zumo and hiking GPS's. Previous to this the file was a GDB file and which Garmin then switched to a more generic GPX file format which opened up the ability to download routes from multiple sources, such as the Harley Planner, Tyre, and others.

To address why isn't the info simply displayed versus a link, It is a PDF document and pretty extensive with explanations and visuals to go along with the explanations. For me to try to bring it into this space and wonder if the info is there would be too time consuming. So folks that are interested will click the link, others won't. Simple choice click or not click.

GPS's are a single mode device and handle traveling over the roads exceptionally well. Other devices like Smart Phones do a bunch of things OK and work but not at the same level (my opinion only) as a GPS. For me personally I rely heavily on my GPS's and run multiple GPS when I am traveling, especially when on my 4000+ mile journeys. This works for some and not for others.

YMMV

Willie
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

So I used the Tutorial and saved it to my GPS's SD card, how do I find the rout on the GPS? It cannot figure out how to view files on the card, only internal storage?

Kent
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by remark2013 View Post
    So I used the Tutorial and saved it to my GPS's SD card, how do I find the rout on the GPS? It cannot figure out how to view files on the card, only internal storage?

Kent
    Which model Garmin do you have

Normally you have to do 2 things.

First is to Import the route which can be found under this is from Memory and it is getting clogged up due to age.

Tools (Icon in lower right of GPS front screen)

Which will bring you to another screen, Hit the Arrow Down until you see MY DATA (select this)

This will bring you to another screen which should should have IMPORT ROUTES (Select this)

You should see your route here. Select and Import

Special Note if you sent multiple routes to the GPS you will see each one listed. Some units have a limit of 10 routes to be imported at once. All of my GPS I use have this.

This should complete Step 1.

Step 2 (Once the Route has been Imported)

On the Main Screen Select Tools (again)

You should see Routes (Select this)

You should see the route you just imported Select this

Another screen comes up. You may have to scroll down one screen to where it says VIEW

Once you viewed it you select GO

This route is loaded up and should be active

-======================

Various models have different versions but all are essentially the same. If you have something that's says Trip Planner, it may or may not work the route you designed.

As a test of your import on the main screen select the Where To which bring you to another screen

Select Favorites

If you put in any Waypoints or POI in BaseCamp you should see these listed.

Hope this helps.

Willie

Edit

I do not own a ZUMO or a newer ZUMO, The above instructions are for NUVI's that I use and older ZUMO. Things may have changed. Maybe someone with a newer ZUMO can chime in here if these directions are not correct.

EndEdit
    Last edited by Fjrwillie; 07-08-2016 at 11:11 AM.
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

First is to Import the route which can be found under this is from Memory and it is getting clogged up due to age.

Which will bring you to another screen, Hit the Arrow Down until you see MY DATA (select this)

This will bring you to another screen which should should have IMPORT ROUTES (Select this)

Special Note if you sent multiple routes to the GPS you will see each one listed. Some units have a limit of 10 routes to be imported at once. All of my GPS I use have this.

Another screen comes up. You may have to scroll down one screen to where it says VIEW

-======================

Various models have different versions but all are essentially the same. If you have something that's says Trip Planner, it may or may not work the route you designed.

As a test of your import on the main screen select the Where To which bring you to another screen

Select Favorites

Hope this helps.

Willie

Edit

I do not own a ZUMO or a newer ZUMO, The above instructions are for NUVI's that I use and older ZUMO. Things may have changed. Maybe someone with a newer ZUMO can chime in here if these directions are not correct.

EndEdit
    I have the 660
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

-======================

Select Favorites

Hope this helps.

Willie

Edit

EndEdit
    See Red writing.
    What mine shows under "My Data"
    Set Home Location
    Manage Trip Logs
    Delete Favorites
    Delete Routs
    Kent.
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

I have the 660
    I cant view YouTube at work but I found this

I believe the instructions above may be good. From the Main Menu after importing your routes should be TOOLS> Custom Routes.

If this still is not right, I will find something when I get home from Work to help you out.

Willie
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Is it possible that my 64gb card is too big for the 660 to read?
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Is it possible that my 64gb card is too big for the 660 to read?
    Some quick Googling it appears it only likes 16G, so yes that could be the problem.

Willie
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

I found an old 2 gb SD card and copied the route and guess what...........it worked. Guess my original SD is too large. Need to buy a 10 gb one maybe. Thanks Fjrwillie for the help. Trying to learn how to use BaseCamp using your tutorial.

Kent.
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

I found an old 2 gb SD card and copied the route and guess what...........it worked. Guess my original SD is too large. Need to buy a 10 gb one maybe. Thanks Fjrwillie for the help. Trying to learn how to use BaseCamp using your tutorial.

Kent.
    Glad to be of assistance. I would go for a 16G card. IIRC when you do a MapUpdate they have grown so big, that you have to load it to the external card and not the Unit Storage I figured I would let you know this now to avoid frustration down the road.

Once you get the hang of BaseCamp, which I sheepishly say I am still using MapSource, it will open a whole new world of traveling.

Willie
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

I spent a lot of time with Garmin tech support and the tech said there are different ways to get the route to you device. He said the easiest and most dependable way is to "not use the send to device button". He said to simply drag the route from the bottom left directly to the root of the device at the top. Since it have started doing this - every-time I boot up the device I get "the you have new data - do you want to import it"

Works every time
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

I've tried to use BaseCamp. However it only installs to the C drive. I've tried numerous ways to install it to other of my LARGER drives to no avail.
    No help from Garmin support. I've used Garmin's devices since the first Street Pilot and would love to utilize BaseCamp. It seems like more and more some software
    developers are of the opinion 'use it the way we wrote it and be happy with all the new bells and whistles or forget about it'.
    I've given up and use my GPS as a moving map only. Google Maps to start then folded real paper maps and using your 'biological memory storage unit' is a lot more fun.
    And you don't have to save, press a button, drag a waypoint or hear 'Recalculating" if you want to change where you are headed.

end of rant
    Veni, vidi, discessit

Potius sero quam nunquam

Spyder Garage

Default MapSource is Still Available at Garmin

Quote Originally Posted by jmbiii View Post
    I've tried to use BaseCamp. However it only installs to the C drive. I've tried numerous ways to install it to other of my LARGER drives to no avail.
    No help from Garmin support. I've used Garmin's devices since the first Street Pilot and would love to utilize BaseCamp. It seems like more and more some software
    developers are of the opinion 'use it the way we wrote it and be happy with all the new bells and whistles or forget about it'.
    I've given up and use my GPS as a moving map only. Google Maps to start then folded real paper maps and using your 'biological memory storage unit' is a lot more fun.
    And you don't have to save, press a button, drag a waypoint or hear 'Recalculating" if you want to change where you are headed.

end of rant
    Based on your statement which I BOLDED, you are probably familiar with MapSource. That still works they are just not developing it. You can get MapSource at this link. I have BaseCamp loaded to my computers, I just didn't see the advantage of using it as long as MapSource still works. I have my own file organizational and Master Waypoint files like National Parks, National Historic Land, National Register of Historic Places, Diners, Waterfalls, Covered Bridges, and more.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=209

Willie
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    I spent a lot of time with Garmin tech support and the tech said there are different ways to get the route to you device. He said the easiest and most dependable way is to "not use the send to device button". He said to simply drag the route from the bottom left directly to the root of the device at the top. Since it have started doing this - every-time I boot up the device I get "the you have new data - do you want to import it"

Works every time
    You can also drag it the folder where Garmin would put it and use the Import Route Function as well, like Garmin said.

Willie
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the BaseCamp link

Thanks for the link, Willie. I downloaded the PDF and will go through it. I've used BaseCamp for several years and am kind of OK with the things I am capable of doing. I always used MapSource but it quit working on my computer. I got a lot of help from Garmin support and we finally got it to work. The next day it was abending so I learned to "love" BaseCamp. I do in fact love the lifetime maps.

-Bill
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Default Check Compatability

You should check with Garmin to verify your GPS is compatible with Base Camp. I know that the 665 is not compatible. You might be able to create and download routes but funky things can and will happen at the worst times.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Basecamp and 665

Quote Originally Posted by View from behind View Post
    You should check with Garmin to verify your GPS is compatible with Base Camp. I know that the 665 is not compatible. You might be able to create and download routes but funky things can and will happen at the worst times.
    Totally not true. I use Basecamp with my Zumo 665, Nuvi 2797 and two ancient Quests. I would say it works without problems, but then we are talking about Basecamp.

Skip H
    Elyria OH

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    ...I use Google Maps and don't have any issues and on my phone I use the IPhone Maps app. What does this program do that others don't?
    I use google maps for quick trips and route comparisons. I like basecamp because I like to maintain a library of ride ideas from magazines like Roadrunner and Ride Texas and I also use it for long term planning. When we did our 48 state trip the planning process was over a three year period. We are currently planning a trip combining the Lincoln Highway and US 50 from coast to coast. Basecamp allows me to set up waypoints for locations we want to see along the way and if for some reason I scrub a route to start over, the waypoints are still available. Fairly easy to cut sections out and paste sections in as well. The program does have a learning curve, but it is, IMO, more robust as a planning tool than google or some of the others.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture