Thread: Check engine

Spyder Garage

Default Check engine

Well the summer of no problems ended today. With a good morning check engine and a orange flashing screen. Forgot what the three finger salute was to get code and after spending a half hr pushing Radom buttons gave up and called dealer for appointment. Good news have one for July 27th bad news its 3 weeks away. Tonight when I got home after reading what to push at lunch time pulled code P2530. Turned bike off and on and off lifted the seat and tightened the gas cap just for something to do. Put seat down and restarted bike code was there again looked it up and stared at ignition switch. Backed bike back up and put it in shed shut it down and then moved the 622 from the SUV. As we picked it up last night. Had to move bike about a foot backwards to accommodate them both in same space and code was out. Any ideas? Code likely to come back but if I just go local think it's safe to drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The code obviously doesn't disable the bike or put it into limp mode. I'd ride it around and see how it behaves, but that's just me. Could just be switch contacts that have a little oxidation and need some exercise, with the code being intermittent like it is. Or it could signal that a switch replacement is on your horizon. No crystal ball here. The dealer may not do much for you unless the code is locked in anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-06-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Since you're storing it in a shed, have you removed the key from the ignition switch and taken it in the house with you? As a 2011 there could possibly be some corrosion of ignition switch contacts. Sorry, can't help more.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

It is possible the plug is coming loose from the back of the ignition switch. Was there any work done to it in the past? It may not have been reinstall correctly.

If the contacts are failing it is time for a new ignition switch.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....

Do you have more than one key..?? have you tried the other keys..?? do you have an unchipped key..?? Does seem like a contact issue try pushing the bars all the way to one side and they turn the key from on to locked and back a few times....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies I always remove the key and take it into the house and I do have other keys will try those later.

Spyder Garage

I would try exercising the key mechanism a few hundred times.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

Happy to report that I put 30 miles on the bike today and no check engine light as of yet. 6 warm ups and cool downs I I did errands this afternoon so maybe it's a non problem. Still keeping my service appointment but that's because I am also having them do the oil service anyway.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lostinthenet View Post
    Happy to report that I put 30 miles on the bike today and no check engine light as of yet. 6 warm ups and cool downs I I did errands this afternoon so maybe it's a non problem. Still keeping my service appointment but that's because I am also having them do the oil service anyway.

Thanks for coming back here with the update. And if you're not the original owner and are unsure of the service history, confirm with your dealer that they will put it on BUDS, clear out the old code history and check if it needs any ECM updates. And another thing - since you have a 2011, if you haven't had the two vacuum hoses to the MAP sensor changed yet, it's time for that before that causes you trouble.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-12-2016 at 06:22 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238