Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It sounds as if you've got the PERFECT commute...

Take the long way home!
    Lol! There's no short way home, only choices of roads. I can go up the Valley Center Road grade (5% for 2.7 miles and then flat for 8 miles), which is 60 mph but mostly straight, or take the steep twisty way, which is much prettier and more fun!
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Spyder Garage

I don't want to brag, but, I ride 22.5 miles each way on Highway 30, from Astoria, Oregon to the Wauna Mill. Look it up on Google Maps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Sweet ride

Do yourself right and get Ron's sway bar and most important , get the laser alignment, it made a night and day difference on my 2013RT Limited. I could go down a straight stretch of road without my hands on the grips, I don't only because that be kina stupid. Seriously it rides like a dream after the laser alignment .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboregon View Post
    I don't want to brag, but, I ride 22.5 miles each way on Highway 30, from Astoria, Oregon to the Wauna Mill. Look it up on Google Maps.
    Wow! Greenery! And lots and lots of water! It looks like a very nice ride. Do you ever run into fog or wind?
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile

Spyder Garage

The 2012 RT is considered one of the best of the best.

I see two possibilities.

The famous death grip and/or the need for a laser alignment.

The death grip is hanging onto the handgrips to tightly. Doing so, will cause to much input. The is very sensitive to this and will make it feel like it has a mind of its own. I remind people to pretend there are eggs between your hands and the hand grips. Do not break the eggs. Use a push/pull when initiating a turn or direction change. Use as little input as possible.

If the above is not happing with you, then I highly suspect needing a laser wheel alignment. Our 2011 now steers and handles like it is on rails. Linda felt she had a brand new bike after the first two blocks or so.

Let us know what you find out. We would like to hear that you are loving your 2012 RT.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Bring it to me!

I will fix it, and by the time you get home, you will love it! We are not far, and can work around your schedule. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Nearly every day. Plus deer and elk beside the road. I installed 100/80 watt H-4s in my Honda ST 1300.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboregon View Post
    Brag away!

I only get to walk 30 feet...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-07-2016 at 10:52 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Same issue

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    I've owned it for 5 1/2 weeks, and ridden it for 800 miles, and now I'm starting to wonder if it's me or the machine.
    It just feels squirrely. I've read a bazillion posts, and I try to stay relaxed and do the things that you folks with much more experience have shared, but riding this thing is wearing me out. All I want is a nice, well-behaved machine that doesn't continually scare me like this one does.
    It is very sensitive to roadway conditions and wind turbulence. Above 45 mph, I feel like I am fighting to stay in my lane as it darts about. Rain grooves and patched asphalt especially cause trouble, but smooth is not trouble-free.
    I installed the Baja Ron swaybar and links, and I'm trying to be objective, but I can't say for sure that they helped. I've methodically changed the tire pressures in order to find the optimal settings and have settled into 18.5 psi in front and 28 psi in the rear.
    I haven't had it aligned yet; wish someone in Escondido would buy the equipment so I don't have to drive 100 miles to get it done.
    The drive belt starts slapping time at 5800 rpm, unless I'm going uphill and then it starts earlier. I checked the tension with the little click gauge, and it's at 160 lbs. A belt tensioner is needed.

Maybe it's fine. I don't have a frame of reference to compare it to; I should probably take a new one out for a ride to get my head calibrated.

I think my biggest fear (other than safety) is finding out that I bought someone else's problems and it's just worn out and will take a lot of $$ to make right.
    I had the same issue. The dealer ( Central Florida Powersports Kissimmee Florida ) put me on a loaner and went to work on my RTS. The belts in my OEM tires were not straight. They spent 3 weeks proving the problem and getting new tires. The power steering was also causing the bike to turn right. They also did a laser alignment. When I got it back it handles beautifully. When I first got on the loaner I knew mine had problems. When we are new to Spyders we don't know what to expect, but I believe when they are setup correctly they are fun, not scary to ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    My 2012 has 21,721 miles on it. My closest laser alignment is in Las Vegas about 350 mi. So I'll trade you. I gave my local tire shop the alignment specs and he did a regular alignment. I could tell a difference,tho to be honest I didn't think I had a problem before, until I saw the front tires wearing funny. I would remember that somebody enjoyed that Spyder for over 3 years and 20,000+ miles. No it's not worn out, It just needs some fiddling. Is it a dealer that is 100 miles away? If so ride it over and have them check it out for you, front end and belt tension. If there is a problem, you'll find out what it is and what it will cost to fix.

I love my Spyder. It only had 8500 on it when I brought it home a years ago. Cynthia(my wife ) and I went to Bryce on Monday we had a great trip no problems and a nice ride. I now have 21000+ miles after Sturgis San Diego and Beartooth Pass/Cody under the tires and Charlotte has performed beautifully.
    I like your statement regarding a regular alignment. I have never aligned a Spyder, but I have done many high speed rotating equipment alignments. I have used lasers and love them. In no way will I demean people who now do laser alignments. But I have also used dial indicators and jigs or fixtures. A good alignment is much more dependent upon the technician then the tool used. A laser makes it easier for a good tech to be accurate, but a laser plus an unskilled tech will still result in a poor alignment. I began doing alignment back in the 1960's. Lasers did not exist and our alignments had to be within .002 of an inch. it was time consuming, but it was done. A laser alignment is not the be all cure all. My NEW Spyder had bad belt alignment in the tires. Not the drive belt. Fortunately I have a great dealer, Central Florida Powersports. They replaced my front tires. In addition the power steering was trying to turn the wheels to the right. My dealer also did a Laser Alignment but a Laser alignment could not fix these problems.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was talking to some friends recently. He rides and Goldwing and she has an RTS. I was explaining to them how riding the Spyder is different from a 2-wheeler. You have to be more active riding the Spyder. You don't just keep your body in alignment with the bike and zoom through the curves. You must actively ride the Spyder as well as the road. It is a different experience all together. As you make peace with that, you'll become more comfortable on it at higher speeds.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's all about leaning into the curves...

Spyder Garage

Default Squared Away Squared Away Squard Away

Wow! Greenery! And lots and lots of water! It looks like a very nice ride. Do you ever run into fog or wind?
    I have found that it is critical who does your laser alignment...several dealers have the equipment....but over the years and watching many situations...I literally only TRUST Squared Away (Joe and Anne) to "do it RIGHT". If I had to I would ride 1000's of miles to have them align my Spyder. They also have huge knowledge skills on Spyder...so if it isn't the alignment they will pin point and recommend. We
    Welcome to Spyderlovers...best group of folks in the world...
    Are you coming to the Red Rock Rally?
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    I have found that it is critical who does your laser alignment...several dealers have the equipment....but over the years and watching many situations...I literally only TRUST Squared Away (Joe and Anne) to "do it RIGHT". If I had to I would ride 1000's of miles to have them align my Spyder. They also have huge knowledge skills on Spyder...so if it isn't the alignment they will pin point and recommend. We
    Welcome to Spyderlovers...best group of folks in the world...
    Are you coming to the Red Rock Rally?
    Squared Away is the best!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

You need a laser alignment. Until you get that done your Spyder will never track correctly. The sway bar does a lot of things but it won't help (or hurt) your alignment.

Once you get your Spyder laser aligned you'll be a very happy camper!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-08-2016 at 03:35 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I would love to take it in to Squared Away, but there are 200 miles of Mojave Desert to go through, with an average high temp of 109°F this time of year. That's way too hot for me; in fact, it was so hot in Baker, CA a couple of weeks ago that my nephew turned his HD around and went back to Las Vegas rather than risk it. He drove home early the next day.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

Spyder Garage

I think there is a big difference between the 2012 and the 2015 has the 2015 has different shocks and a bigger sway bar and of course different engine. my 2015 RT drove perfectly right out of the box. Even the stock seat broke in enough to where its comfortable for me. I would try anything to get it right because once you do you will love it, and I am a gold wing guy at heart.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would love to take it in to Squared Away, but there are 200 miles of Mojave Desert to go through, with an average high temp of 109°F this time of year. That's way too hot for me; in fact, it was so hot in Baker, CA a couple of weeks ago that my nephew turned his HD around and went back to Las Vegas rather than risk it. He drove home early the next day.
    Could leave REAL early to avoid the worst of the heat?
    Have the work done, and spend the night in Vegas.
    You could then ride home early the following day...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Could leave REAL early to avoid the worst of the heat?
    Have the work done, and spend the night in Vegas.
    You could then ride home early the following day...

That's exactly how I would do a 400 mile round trip in that country.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I might be smarter than I look...

But that STILL doesn't "set the bar" too high...

Spyder Garage

Or I could slip my nephew some party money and have him take it for me!
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That would work...

But you wouldn't get the chance to immediately notice the difference it makes in the bike's handling.

"What happens in Vegas..."

Spyder Garage

I know.
    Without going into a lot of detail here, suffice it to say that the composition of our family doesn't allow me to make overnighters. I don't even travel for work if I can avoid it.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope you know that if your nephew spends that much time on it: he's gonna really want one!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Squared Away is the best!
    +2 on what PS said. My "local" dealer has the Rollo system. I chose to have the Squraed Away team align mine @Spyderfest 2016 after having a Ron Bar installed by Harvey's crew. Experience is everything.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited