Spyder Garage

Default Newbie with questions on what model to buy

I am really wanting to get a spyder some time in the near future and was hoping you fine folks could offer some advice.
    is there anything wrong with the model 2008 or 2009 spyders?
    those 2 years are what my budget would allow. anything newer and i would have to finance which i do not want to do.
    i am looking to spend under $10K.
    I know i want the semi automatic, which i know is an SE5, but I dont know what model i want.
    I would like a more relaxed sitting position. not really a sport bike position. I like my feet either straight down or in front of me for long distance riding. is there a model that offers this type of seating configuration? can you buy aftermarket foot pegs for a more forward "stretch your legs out" riding position?
    what about those years only having 5 speeds? someone told me that the engine revs too high at highway speeds in these model years and the 6 speeds are a lot better at highway speeds. is it true the top speed on a 5 speed is only 75 mph? i also had heard that rumor.
    my purchase will be in the future. like a year or so out, so I am not in any rush. although i would love to have one tomorrow! LOL.
    any help or advice is appreciated so i can start planning!!
    2011 RSS , BajaRon Orange/Matte Black

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

08/09 you only have the one model. Your choice is manual 5 speed or semi automatic 5 speed. All high rpm engines V-twins. The six speed triple lower rpm's did not come out till 2014 and the RT models in 2010. So always the best thing to do is test ryde them. If your budget is limited just ryde the RS which is the same as the GS 08's. If you ryde the others you may be financing....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The V Twins can go a lot faster than 75mph.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll be looking at a GS model.
    75 mph???
    Who told that THAT?

633607992546407412Can-Am-Spyder-11.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-06-2016 at 01:22 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The 2008 and 2009 GS (2008 only)/RS (2009 and up) were the only models that BRP offered prior to the introduction of the RTS in 2010.

Both came equipped with the 990 Rotax engine. Choice was either a 5 speed manual or a 5 speed semi auto. The 990 Rotax engine likes to be driven at high rpm's. The sweet spot is 5000 - 5500. This is where the power band kicks in. For newer riders, its hard to get your head around driving the in that range.

Top speed is over 100 and you can get a ticket easily even if you don't try. You will find that these are "crotch rocket" riding positions unless they have been modified (seats and risers on the handlebars). I had three inch risers on both mine.

They are mostly trouble free and no specific issues that I can mention. I had one of each.

The 2008 is the silver SM5 and the red is a SE5. Both have over $6K in accessories added. I like to think that BRP stole my ideas when they came out with the RTS in 2010.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-06-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default I was just like you 6 months ago!

I am a newbie too and last fall I bought my first can am Spyder. Like you I wanted to get into this different style of riding without spending a huge amount. I was riding a Honda 750 shadow spirit that I traded in on a 2009 RS Spyder with 4,000 miles on it. I test drove a 2015 RT for a few miles but it was so different from my current bike I passed on it (cost was in the back of my mind too)! Now, 7 months later I love riding my Spyder and I have put 6,000 miles on it. However, now I starting to notice how I sit more leaning over on this bike and I'm starting to see why others before me added handlebar risers, floorboards, and highway pegs! I'm probably going to go down that road too!

Spyder Garage

I was recently in Robbinsville NC riding and was staying in a cabin in the area. the people in the cabin next to mine had a 2015 spyder and I was talking to them about their ride. They said to stay away from the v-twin model as they had a lot of issues with high RPM's at highway speeds which was causing short engine life. The gentleman also said the top speed of the early models was only 75 mph. I thought that was a line of bull when he said it. I was trying to figure out how, on my 400cc bike, I could go faster than the spyder. He was really pooh-poohing any model before 2015.
    That is when i decided to start doing some research to make sure I didnt get a year or model that was not known for its reliability....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hollybry View Post
    I was recently in Robbinsville NC riding and was staying in a cabin in the area. the people in the cabin next to mine had a 2015 spyder and I was talking to them about their ride. They said to stay away from the v-twin model as they had a lot of issues with high RPM's at highway speeds which was causing short engine life. The gentleman also said the top speed of the early models was only 75 mph. I thought that was a line of bull when he said it. I was trying to figure out how, on my 400cc bike, I could go faster than the spyder. He was really pooh-poohing any model before 2015.
    That is when i decided to start doing some research to make sure I didnt get a year or model that was not known for its reliability....
    Based on the information, you were fed a line of BS. So far, all the information posted is on the money.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default WELCOME TO SPYDERLAND

i have a 08 I bought in Sept 08 1st bike I still have it and enjoy it.Been to 3 SPYDERFEST and going to the next one in DEADWOOD next week. I have had ZERO problems. except normal maintance. I would say go for it

Spyder Garage

so do i understand, you can get forward foot pegs or floorboards and handlebar risers to change your seating position on the 08 and 09 models? that would be cool.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Haha, the problem wasn't with the Spyder but with the rider. We see that all the time people that don't ride the v-twin at the proper rpm. You will decrease the engine life by not revving the engine.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They said to stay away from the v-twin model as they had a lot of issues with high RPM's at highway speeds which was causing short engine life. The gentleman also said the top speed of the early models was only 75 mph. ....

Here's a picture of Spyderjockey's odometer:

Jim Van Cise GS Odometer.jpg

I'm not going to mention just how fast he's had it up to...
    But I rode to Missouri with him a couple of years ago, and we spend pretty near two full days running well past 75 mph.

Spyder Garage

Hi hollybry,

Re: those 2 years are what my budget would allow. anything newer and i would have to finance which i do not want to do.
    i am looking to spend under $10K.

2 1/2 yrs ago I was in the same boat. I found a '08, 4k miles for under $10k.

I have changed a fair number of things to make it ride better & to change the riding position.

Send me an email to: jerrybaumchen(at)gmail(dot)com

I'll send you back info on what I've done to it and a number of photos of what she is like now.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-07-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi - yeah, that's my GS for sale. It's been a great bike. I've had it for 4 years trouble free. Check out my for sale ad - Corbin seat with backrests, highway pegs. saddlebags - much more. It's a great price - if you decide in a few years you want something else, you would lose much. That's what I did!!!

Thanks for the reference, Bob!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSue View Post
    Hi - yeah, that's my GS for sale. It's been a great bike. I've had it for 4 years trouble free. Check out my for sale ad - Corbin seat with backrests, highway pegs. saddlebags - much more. It's a great price - if you decide in a few years you want something else, you would lose much. That's what I did!!!

Thanks for the reference, Bob!!!
    Only $7400 - you'll have money for risers and floorboards and enough left over to take someone special to a REALLY nice dinner.

Oh, btw - I've got risers that I never put on. I'll sweeten the deal and throw them in. Just sayin'...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's just too nice of a bike, for it to be sitting... I hope that it finds the best possible new home!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default I must have a special GS

Or my Speedo is malfunctioning I have been over 75 a few times ( 76 maybe) on my 08 GS ... 18,000 Kms on it now , change the oil and service seems to keep it purring along , replaced two sensors ( $88.00). I don't actually mind the stock riding position so far putting 12,000 on the bike myself after buying it , the bike posted for sale above is identical to mine and that's a very good price for one with a lot of the options already on it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...le-2009-GS-SE5

Not related to the seller but that's a heck of a price for a well optioned GS.

I put risers, Givi bags, heat deflectors, and a comfort seat on our GS and that's about $1k in options. In 5th gear, I can do well over 75mph. With 75mph posted freeway sections near here, and prevailing traffic doing 10 over, I can comfortably keep up and then some, just sayin'
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 1st Spyder was a beautiful '09 RS SE5. I loved everything about it, including how fast it would go from 0 to 100 mph. My biggest issues were the windshield (put a 24" tall on), the handlebars ( put a 5" HeliBar riser on it) and the setting position with the foot pegs ( I designed the 1st ever Seal Floorboard for it). Loved everything about it after those Mods. I also wasn't taking any passengers on the back (not good for a single man's love life). Check out my "Yellow Jacket" on my website: seal floorboards.com. I'm now riding a 2014 basic RT SE6 DLX , which my new bride loves,(could't bring myself to pay $1,000. for BRP's tiny floorboards and luggage I didn't need. I've loved all three of my Spyders and hope for many more years of......Riding in Comfort.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Haha, the problem wasn't with the Spyder but with the rider. We see that all the time people that don't ride the v-twin at the proper rpm. You will decrease the engine life by not revving the engine.
    I was wondering where those folks in the cabin got such ridiculous off-the-wall information about the V-twin Spyders. Then I read your post and the light bulb when on. OF COURSE, they were riding it with the RPM's too low.

Note to hollybry... The V-twin Spyder should be kept at around 5000 RPM's after first gear. The newer 1330 engine is comfortable at around 3000. A lot of V-twin owners took a LONG while to understand that because their dealers never told them, and they weren't on forums like this one.
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-09-2016 at 01:25 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Well said!

I agree with you. Best thing to do is to test drive the various models to see which one would be the most comfortable and meets your needs. I am 74 and last year I picked up a very low mileage 13 RTL. This model has all the whistles that come with it and, of course, there are still more whistles that were added. Just take your time and do the testing. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The 2008 and 2009 GS (2008 only)/RS (2009 and up) were the only models that BRP offered prior to the introduction of the RTS in 2010.

Both came equipped with the 990 Rotax engine. Choice was either a 5 speed manual or a 5 speed semi auto. The 990 Rotax engine likes to be driven at high rpm's. The sweet spot is 5000 - 5500. This is where the power band kicks in. For newer riders, its hard to get your head around driving the in that range.

Top speed is over 100 and you can get a ticket easily even if you don't try. You will find that these are "crotch rocket" riding positions unless they have been modified (seats and risers on the handlebars). I had three inch risers on both mine.

They are mostly trouble free and no specific issues that I can mention. I had one of each.

The 2008 is the silver SM5 and the red is a SE5. Both have over $6K in accessories added. I like to think that BRP stole my ideas when they came out with the RTS in 2010.

Spyder Garage

You have all been so very helpful! If I could swing that $7400 spyder right now, I would do it in a heartbeat. But, it isnt feasible right now.
    Thanks for everyones replies and private messages. This seems like a great forum with alot of great information! Glad I found it!