Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Premature Ball Joint wear 2013-ST-L

I have noticed a clunk in the front end and really bad reaction to cornering quickly like the bike all of a sudden just cuts and when I checked the front end it appears all the upper control arm bushings are completely worn out! I have had my bike serviced faithfully at three local Ontario dealers since new. I now am told the ball joints are bad. I have had so many vibration engine/belt issues, brake pulsation problems, Steering unit issues since new and paid for at least 3 laser alignments as well as replacing the tires 3 times already. The bike has been in the shop for last 10 days and they tell me they are having issues with "Parts delivery from BRP". My bike had the 2 year factory warranty plus a bonus year. Is this Best or an extension of the New Bike warranty?

I have been told during the retail service and the warranty repairs service that the ball joints are bad. I have to say that I am so upset to hear that a bike that has about 38,000 Kms or 23,612 needs ball joints replaced! If this is regular new bike extended warranty or their B.E.S.T. warranty I an not sure.

My real concern and issue is that could this be why I have had wandering issues since new??? Is this why the steering unit began to fail. I have paid $125.00 plus taxes 3 or even 4 times at different dealers trying to correct the poor handling, wandering! excessive tire feathering, excessive vibration. Can this contribute or be caused by possibly defective seizing or stiff ball joints not identified by BRP in the bulletin ? Is there anyone who has had these done under warranty? What was your experience like? and what was done to remedy this?

I am told my bike is not included in the technical service bulletin based on my VIN for the 2013 ST ball joint replacement! I welcome your experiences before I call customer care. I really hate to be even be asking about this on this forum but I have to vent! I Hope that BRP will stand behind their product, I am told the service technician is really concerned about the condition of the ball joints so I have agreed to pay for these out of pocket. I have even raised concerns when it was in basic warranty as well.

Thanks for reading and responding to my story.

Spyder Garage

Good luck, I hope this works out in your favor.
    You mentioned the steering wandering, did you have the Baja Ron sway bar and billet links installed? I noticed that problem when I first got my Spyder, had those items installed and problem was corrected. Again, I hope you get everything corrected.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

It is why we are here. We listen to venting and learn from it as well, except for vicious venting. We hope those venting will keep us informed on how the problem was solved or if it was. I hope they get the parts soom and it solves all the front end issues for you. I would get BRP involved cause you have put a lot into this problem....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd really push for replacement under the service bulletin. It seems they missed your VIN when they made the list.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for this post.

I have a 2013 STL which I bought at 6000km and now has over 30K km. I've recently been monitoring uneven tyre wear, inside each front tyre.

I was thinking of getting another laser alignment done, but your post got me thinking...

I've done laser alignment, upgraded sway bar and links, and recently elka shocks.

Does anybody have more info on the TSB covering ball joints?

Even the tsb number would be a great help - I have found that if I can quote a number to the dealer, proper advice is received.. Otherwise, not so much. The build date of mine is 12/2012, so it is a very early one. I've searched this site, but haven't found any detail on the tsb itself, other than ask your dealer.

Spyder Garage

Default BALL JOINTS

My '13 ST-S had the ball joints replaced under warranty after only about 2000 miles. My dealer had called and said my VIN was on the list. Perhaps yours was mistakenly overlooked? I would demand that the ball joints be replaced under warranty.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red