Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I got some Troubleshooting Help Today!

Hi I just got a new F3T. I was on a short ride today and looked down and the check engine light Was on, and in the bottom center of the speedo screen an image of the handle bars with an arrow pointing to the right on top and an arrow pointing left on the bottom was flashing. it didn't seem to affect anything...And it ran and steered just fine. 17 miles on it by the way! I really want to ride But don't want to mess any thing up!

Any Help is appreciated!!!

Thanks
    Kubie
    Last edited by kubie; 07-05-2016 at 06:01 PM.

2013 ST-S SE-5 ("Quick Silver") Is her Name
    My Mods:

I Have Added the AM/FM Stereo and an Ultimate Seat, with Ryder Backrest, Power Sports wraps." Break Strips" Kit, GloRyders with the Spyder Cap, Fox Racing Shock and Anti- Sway Bar Kit, Spyder Pops Bump Skid, Spyderlighter's LED Running Light Kit With Fender lights. Cal Si Shorty Smoked Windshield, The 2014 Side Panels, Lamonsters Cat Delete, And an Akrapovic Sport Touring Exhaust.

Spyder Garage

Looked in my manual and found nothing that could help you. Sorry.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

The handle bar icon indicates a VSS or DPS faiilue of some kind.
    Check battery connection and the pillion switch connector.
    Those are the easiest to check & fix.

Check for error codes (MODE-SET-TURNSIGNAL CANCEL)

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post

Ok I Checked the battery and connections were tight. I have no clue what the pillion switch connector is. Could you tell me please... the Warning indicators are still lit!

My Mods:

I Have Added the AM/FM Stereo and an Ultimate Seat, with Ryder Backrest, Power Sports wraps." Break Strips" Kit, GloRyders with the Spyder Cap, Fox Racing Shock and Anti- Sway Bar Kit, Spyder Pops Bump Skid, Spyderlighter's LED Running Light Kit With Fender lights. Cal Si Shorty Smoked Windshield, The 2014 Side Panels, Lamonsters Cat Delete, And an Akrapovic Sport Touring Exhaust.

Spyder Garage

I doubt if it is the pillion switch but it is under the rear service cover (where your tool kit is under rear seat).
    The switch is a round thing that clicks when you push it. Follow the wires to a connector. Make sure that connector is tight.

Check for error codes.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

Default No Code

Also I did the mode- Set- Turn signal Cancel to find the code and its just a blank screen. i did this several times and no code!

My Mods:

Spyder Garage

Default thanks

I doubt if it is the pillion switch but it is under the rear service cover (where your tool kit is under rear seat).
    The switch is a round thing that clicks when you push it. Follow the wires to a connector. Make sure that connector is tight.

Check for error codes.
    Ok ill check that thanks!

My Mods:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kubie View Post
    Also I did the mode- Set- Turn signal Cancel to find the code and its just a blank screen. i did this several times and no code!
    My troubleshooting advice then is better see your dealer since it's brand new, no codes and connectors are tight.
    The DPS usually returns an error code.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

Default Pillion Switch

My troubleshooting advice then is better see your dealer since it's brand new, no codes and connectors are tight.
    The DPS usually returns an error code.
    Well i looked and found the switch but tracking the wires is a no go they are hidden under all the Tupperware. oh well thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it ! So no ride till Tuesday to take it back! Oh Well Thanks again!

My Mods:

Spyder Garage

You said you checked the pillion connection but did you check the battery connection too? DPS draws a lot of power and a slightly loose battery connection can cause a problem with it.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    You said you checked the pillion connection but did you check the battery connection too? DPS draws a lot of power and a slightly loose battery connection can cause a problem with it.
    Yes I did that first i even loosend and then re tightened to make sure they were making good contact....

My Mods:

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....

did they happen to do any alignment work pre delivery..? could be they did not reset the sensor with the buds system
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....

did they happen to do any alignment work pre delivery..? could be they did not reset the sensor with the buds system causing the VSS to sense you are not lined up properly going down the road...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Default I dont think so

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    did they happen to do any alignment work pre delivery..? could be they did not reset the sensor with the buds system causing the VSS to sense you are not lined up properly going down the road...
    I don't think they did. I'm not sure Tho. I didn't notice it yesterday when i picked it up and drove it home. or when i started it today before i left. and i was going straight down the road and wasn't getting on it, or cornering hard!

My Mods:

Spyder Garage

I have had the VSS kick in on a long slooping curve. Like a racetrack banked curve and way towards the end. Now hit those curve and do some wiggling so the VSS dosen't think I'm going over... It is something for them to check. I would think your connections are good and the DPS is fine or you would know something is up. Keep us in the loop....

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Default ok

I have had the VSS kick in on a long slooping curve. Like a racetrack banked curve and way towards the end. Now hit those curve and do some wiggling so the VSS dosen't think I'm going over... It is something for them to check. I would think your connections are good and the DPS is fine or you would know something is up. Keep us in the loop....

Ok i will I feel like the little kid that opened a present at christmas time and it was broken outta the box!!!! I just want to go play with it! But i cant!!! LOL

My Mods:

Spyder Garage

let me ask you...have you shut her down and removed the key walked away say for 30 minutes or so..? if not try that and see if the messages clear. if they do take another ryde and if they don't come back it could be a glitch...one can hope...

Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Default Yes

let me ask you...have you shut her down and removed the key walked away say for 30 minutes or so..? if not try that and see if the messages clear. if they do take another ryde and if they don't come back it could be a glitch...one can hope...

Yes I have several times. i keep reading what you guys post then go do that.... and then come back in and read somthing new and go and check that every time i fire it up the check engine light comes on and the orange handlebars light comes on too!

My Mods:

Spyder Garage

That's horrible hope you get it sorted out. Sorry you missing riding time hope they compensate you for the trouble...
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Sunday like you need to have the steering sensor calibrated... Take it in to the dealer, if that is the problem you should be in and out in 30 min..

mark
    Bullies are sad pathetic People

Spyder Garage

Default I just wanna ride!

Do you think it will hurt to ride????

My Mods:

Spyder Garage

Default The Answer to the Problem!

like to thank every one who tried to help! I really appreciate it!

So I took the bike in and right away they took it into the back and started to decode the problem they put it on to the computer and it showed no codes! So the master wench jumped into it and this is what he found.... The computer was only showing 6 modules and there Is supposed to be 7. the power steering module was not showing...That's why it showed no code... So they traced the wire and the "pin" his words. was not locked into the power steering module. That's why it wouldn't show any codes it wasn't getting power to it So they plugged and locked it in Place and it works. So if i said any of this wrong i'm Sorry i'm not a mechanic.

My Mods:

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update. My next question for the mechanic would have been "is there a locking tab on the connector and if so, how did it come apart?"
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update. My next question for the mechanic would have been "is there a locking tab on the connector and if so, how did it come apart?"
    9 out of 10 it was never locked in and vib from driving wiggled it loose

Spyder Garage

Default Locking Tab

By the way he talked it did but it was never locked in... he said he never seen one that wasn't locked in. Just my luck! But it all seems to be good now!

My Mods: