Spyder Garage

Default Sena 20s speaker upgrade ? What did you use ?

A friend of mine bought a set of Sena 20s's and it turns out his wife don't want to ride with him on his Goldwing after all. I was able to buy one of the 20s units and have been using it for about 2 weeks and the intercom feature works great when me and my friend ride even if we are far apart much to my surprise.

The issue I have is when streaming music from my phone the sound is terrible. I did upgrade the Firmware to 1.6 something that was the latest. I turned off the audio boost and that helped some ,but no bass at all. I'm not upset with Sena at all ,I think they put in the best speakers for the price point.

Has anyone put any upgraded speakers in in place of the Factory ones ?
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

With any outside the ear headphones (speakers) the secret to decent bass is to get a good seal around the ear, which won't usually happen with the speakers stuck inside the helmet wall. They usually wind up some distance from the ear, too far for much of any bass. To make a better seal on my 20s speakers I carefully glued headphone cushion pads to the speakers and now I get good bass with the stock speakers, however once you get moving the road and engine rumbles can still mask some of the bass. I ryde with earplugs and they reduce a lot of the road noise and I can actually hear my music better with the earplugs in - you do have to crank up the volume though. You can buy replacement pads on eBay and Amazon, just measure the Sena speaker size to get pads that will match.

And for all the folks that haven't spent the last few decades riding obnoxiously loud Harleys or Spyders or whatever and have some high-frequency hearing left, placement of the speaker in just the right up-down and front-back position will make a huge difference.

Earpads.jpg
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ES44AC View Post
    A friend of mine bought a set of Sena 20s's and it turns out his wife don't want to ride with him on his Goldwing after all. I was able to buy one of the 20s units and have been using it for about 2 weeks and the intercom feature works great when me and my friend ride even if we are far apart much to my surprise.

The issue I have is when streaming music from my phone the sound is terrible. I did upgrade the Firmware to 1.6 something that was the latest. I turned off the audio boost and that helped some ,but no bass at all. I'm not upset with Sena at all ,I think they put in the best speakers for the price point.

Has anyone put any upgraded speakers in in place of the Factory ones ?
    I felt the same way until I remounted them with thicker foam that came with them. Now they sound GREAT by being closer, and pushing up to my ears.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default I'll try the cushion pads

Thanks for the cushion pads tip. I use custom earplugs, and on a previous ride the earplugs touched the slightly protruding speakers. Sound was great.

My 20S speakers are recessed a little and I'll see if I can get better sound quality with the cushion pads. I'm also struggling with volume with music, but FM is plenty loud.

To the OP, I recently upgraded to Sena 20S 1.6.1.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    With any outside the ear headphones (speakers) the secret to decent bass is to get a good seal around the ear, which won't usually happen with the speakers stuck inside the helmet wall. They usually wind up some distance from the ear, too far for much of any bass. To make a better seal on my 20s speakers I carefully glued headphone cushion pads to the speakers and now I get good bass with the stock speakers, however once you get moving the road and engine rumbles can still mask some of the bass. I ryde with earplugs and they reduce a lot of the road noise and I can actually hear my music better with the earplugs in - you do have to crank up the volume though. You can buy replacement pads on eBay and Amazon, just measure the Sena speaker size to get pads that will match.

And for all the folks that haven't spent the last few decades riding obnoxiously loud Harleys or Spyders or whatever and have some high-frequency hearing left, placement of the speaker in just the right up-down and front-back position will make a huge difference.

Earpads.jpg
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

I am in the process of ordering a set of 20 houses. I find it very interesting that a $20 or $30 set of headphones like the AKG ones are much much more better than the Standard Siena's. can you indicate on a scale of 1-10 how you would rank th eSena 20s vs the AKG,s?
    Ride it like you stole it!

Spyder Garage

After doing some research I ordered 2 pairs of the Panasonic RPDJS400A head phones, to replace the speakers in my and my wifes helmets. I bought them off ebay for $16.00 each. I have not installed them yet, maybe Fri. They are getting to the top of the Farckle list.......

For more info:

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Sena Speaker Upgrade
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QpgDCYyRcY

I did this upgrade on my
    Sena Great for music and increased volume.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    After doing some research I ordered 2 pairs of the Panasonic RPDJS400A head phones, to replace the speakers in my and my wifes helmets. I bought them off ebay for $16.00 each. I have not installed them yet, maybe Fri. They are getting to the top of the Farckle list.......

For more info:

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze